Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonzalo15

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on May 29, 2017, 10:22:23 PM
Quote from: Club boi on May 29, 2017, 07:59:16 PM
Mc Curry too hot an cold for my liking. Hit a great score yes but 65minutes on the clock an the game well and truly over. Shown before to miss them opportunities when its needed in a drawn game or a point down with 2 minutes to play

McCurry is an enigma, I do think he has the ingredients to be top drawer - however relevant or irrelevant it is, he will probably surpass Canavan in the years as Tyrone's all time leading scorer but he's infuriatingly inconsistent. He's 24 now so needs to start delivering the goods on a consistent basis. He's a player who you can tell how it's going to go for him in the first 15 minutes.

To beat Donegal we need a big peformance out of  McCurry, Bradley or Brennan. Bradley started off well yesterday but became peripheral as the game went on and was hooked fairly shortly after a really poor wide off his right. Brennan did well after coming on but I think he's probably the weakest of the three when it comes to winning his own ball, not sure how he'd far against the likes of McGee or McGrath. McCurry was very sharp and confident after coming on so will hopefully start.

When the chips are down McCurry doesn't have the cahonies for it. Will kick them all day in a hammering when the game is already over.

BennyHarp

I think his role this year will be as an impact sub. Dubs use players in this way to great effect and with a bit more space  and slightly less pressure from not starting then I think McCurry could be very dangerous.
That was never a square ball!!

redhandefender

McCurry is great when you are 10 points up! Same mistake over and over again, he won't produce when it matters

Fuzzman

Whilst it's frustrating when your forwards are missing chances, in today's game I think it's vital that at least they are taking shots and not hiding. Fortune favours the brave and at least players like McCurry and Bradley will take the shot on. Too many others will turn back and recycle the ball back out to the 40 again. Very frustrating to watch.
Compare how you feel when Sean takes a shot on and it goes wide but when McCurry misses from the same angle most of us get annoyed with him. Most forwards play better when they feel confident and under no pressure. If you know your fans will be on your back when you miss then there is more pressure on you NOT to miss. A lot of us have a similar attitude with McCrory that you're almost waiting for him to make a mistake.
Playing in that FF line now is one hell of a hard task and you can see both Sean and Mattie aren't too happy playing in there so we as supporters must not make it any harder. We gotta encourage them for taking having the cahonies to take the shot on. It's just to easy to sit in the stand and say McCurry can only do it when no pressure on. It's not like we have loads of other options.

It will be hard for Mickey to pick the starting team the next day but I think we've seen from him now that he nearly always uses all 6 subs as people get tired. We have lots of options who can come in and play that middle 8 which is where most of the hard work is done.
It will be hard to leave out McCann I feel as he nearly always gets a few scores and we need as many players as possible to take scores.

As BennyH said, I think Mickey could be copying the Dubs tactics of holding back the nippy, faster forwards until the final 15 minutes to get a burst of scores near the end. Smaller players often struggle in today's tough mass defences as they are outmuscled and can't get space to use their pace or nimble skills. However, if they come in fresh around the 50-60 minute mark to a defence who have been working hard for 50-60 mins, they will find their pace is more effective and they can punch holes now and get in behind players. 

I get the feeling that a lot of these substitutions are decided even before the match starts and it's no longer just because a player isn't playing well any more. The game has become very tactical and almost robotic in some ways.

Interesting discussion from Parkinson and Cian Ward here 34 mins in.
https://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/bash-tyrone-want-no-one-ireland-found-way-dealing-biggest-strength-125230
They were saying Chrissy McKaigue was too pre-occupied doing a job on Mattie.
The Derry lad on chatting said Derry had 5 different free takers.

The Derry lads are having an interesting discussion and Jim McGuinness makes a few interesting points also.
http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=18.57600

http://www.irishtimes.com/sport/gaelic-games/jim-mcguinness-mickey-harte-and-brendan-rodgers-share-same-vision-1.3100537

WT4E

Quote from: tothetop03 on May 29, 2017, 10:10:39 PM
Am i right in saying Tyrone minors have won one minor championship game in 4 years?

Yes thats correct. To be fair however this year they where up against a quality Derry team this year but they where put out in first round last year in a shock result from memory.

tothetop03

Quote from: WT4E on May 30, 2017, 01:24:41 PM
Am i right in saying Tyrone minors have won one minor championship game in 4 years?

Yes thats correct. To be fair however this year they where up against a quality Derry team this year but they where put out in first round last year in a shock result from memory.

Yeah beat by a good Donegal team the year before...Made a balls of it against Monaghan the year before that.... Heard a lot of experts about me complaining about Minor management losing the game for us on Sunday...i dont know enough about our team to make that assumption and i guess most of the people around me dont either it did not stop them giving out though....

WT4E

Quote from: tothetop03 on May 30, 2017, 02:01:59 PM

Yeah beat by a good Donegal team the year before...Made a balls of it against Monaghan the year before that.... Heard a lot of experts about me complaining about Minor management losing the game for us on Sunday...i dont know enough about our team to make that assumption and i guess most of the people around me dont either it did not stop them giving out though....

Not sure if I buy that it was lost on the line - I think most of the thought on this comes from the fact that they left the lad on the field who had a yellow and then he picked up the second yellow which made a tight game into a total uphill struggle.

Whilst they maybe should have taken him off I believe that the ref was very harsh to send him off and I have heard alot of people say this who where even closer to the incident than me - The ref for me was not totally one sided but was some sort of a home town ref.

tothetop03

Quote from: WT4E on May 30, 2017, 02:19:48 PM
Quote from: tothetop03 on May 30, 2017, 02:01:59 PM

Not sure if I buy that it was lost on the line - I think most of the thought on this comes from the fact that they left the lad on the field who had a yellow and then he picked up the second yellow which made a tight game into a total uphill struggle.

Whilst they maybe should have taken him off I believe that the ref was very harsh to send him off and I have heard alot of people say this who where even closer to the incident than me - The ref for me was not totally one sided but was some sort of a home town ref.

Thought ref in both game were poor enough...

redhandefender

Management some bad decisions there was a lad left on who I won't pick out who was having a howler. mits results based therefore they will not be incharge of u 19's I would imagine

tothetop03

Quote from: redhandefender on May 30, 2017, 02:36:22 PM
Management some bad decisions there was a lad left on who I won't pick out who was having a howler. mits results based therefore they will not be incharge of u 19's I would imagine

questions over the Academy are looming i would say...

skeog

ose 14

now this board have lost the run of themselves if yous suggest mattie donnelly shouldnt be on the team sweet lord. he is indispensible a quality player marking the best 6 in the country in mckaigue ask dermot connolly. tyrones problem isnt the players its the sideline and that joke of a sidekick donkey i know hes known as some other equine variety but hes a donkey ass jinny poor mans shetland whatever. what does he bring to the party. better hope murphys knee is a blowout as he will beat us on his own. hehaw.

redhandefender

Quote from: tothetop03 on May 30, 2017, 02:43:20 PM

The managers were brought in before the academy was even in existance. Holmes will be u 19 manager i would say

tothetop03

Quote from: redhandefender on May 31, 2017, 12:22:21 AM
Quote from: tothetop03 on May 30, 2017, 02:43:20 PM

The managers were brought in before the academy was even in existance. Holmes will be u 19 manager i would say

They where brought in..during the early days of the academy..... Iggy Gallagher was one of the main men in the academy whenbit started...

clarshack

where's this u-19 stuff coming from? thought the new grades were u-17 and u-20 from next season on.