The ulster rugby trial

Started by caprea, February 01, 2018, 11:45:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Syferus

Quote from: johnnycool on March 12, 2018, 03:32:40 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 12, 2018, 03:24:03 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 12, 2018, 02:50:32 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 12, 2018, 02:41:03 PM
As clockwork as rain, insinuations against a rape victim. What a tired and old playbook.

Insinuations?  No absolutely not. She allegedly made a complaint before. No one made any insinuation. Frankly Syferus the way you have behaved on here over this whole case is shocking. You have these men hung drawn and quartered based on the reports from the media. I know for an absolute fact that not everything is reported as I know people involved in it and am keeping my counsel. There is a pretty strong possibility of acquittal here due to the level of confusion and what Dinny referred to in regards to the what his Garda friend stated is very much the case it seems. You don't know if she was raped. You believe she was. No one on here does.

You probably should have stopped there, BC1.

It's very interesting to watch how much dirt is thrown at the girl (the alleged victim) while excuses are made for the alleged rapists. Double standards doesn't begin to describe this thread.

If anything we're quite balanced in throwing dirt in this thread.  8)

There are a few good posters alright. A few.

David McKeown

Quote from: screenexile on March 12, 2018, 03:04:37 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 12, 2018, 02:54:15 PM
Quote from: Frank_The_Tank on March 12, 2018, 02:17:54 PM
Quote from: David McKeown on March 12, 2018, 02:12:43 PM
Quote from: Keyser soze on March 12, 2018, 02:03:05 PM
Why would the defence not be allowed to submit such a thing as evidence??? If it was true??

The number of grown ups on here engaging in the wildest speculation, tittle tattle and gossip and posting opinions based on the flimsiest of rumours is amazing. And sad.

There's plenty of legal reasons why such evidence couldn't be adduced if and I stress if it were true in the first place. There are very strict rules on the admissibility of a complainants previous sexual history in rape trials and for good reasons. Just because it hasn't been admitted doesn't mean it's either true or not true.

could those be some of the legal issues the court has been dealing with?

Hard to know. Legal issues pop up in all trials.

Just for interest sake David what are the types of legal issues that are holding up the trial? They didn't start until 2pm today because of a legal issue again.

What kind of issues are they?

Genuinely hard to tell. They can cover all sorts from issues about bad character through to a discussion of how legal issues should be put to jurors in summing up to issues that arise because of answers to specific questions. Can really be anything. Without being there it would be impossible to tell.
2022 Allianz League Prediction Competition Winner

Keyser soze

Quote from: Syferus on March 12, 2018, 03:38:20 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on March 12, 2018, 03:32:40 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 12, 2018, 03:24:03 PM
Quote from: brokencrossbar1 on March 12, 2018, 02:50:32 PM
Quote from: Syferus on March 12, 2018, 02:41:03 PM
As clockwork as rain, insinuations against a rape victim. What a tired and old playbook.

Insinuations?  No absolutely not. She allegedly made a complaint before. No one made any insinuation. Frankly Syferus the way you have behaved on here over this whole case is shocking. You have these men hung drawn and quartered based on the reports from the media. I know for an absolute fact that not everything is reported as I know people involved in it and am keeping my counsel. There is a pretty strong possibility of acquittal here due to the level of confusion and what Dinny referred to in regards to the what his Garda friend stated is very much the case it seems. You don't know if she was raped. You believe she was. No one on here does.

You probably should have stopped there, BC1.

It's very interesting to watch how much dirt is thrown at the girl (the alleged victim) while excuses are made for the alleged rapists. Double standards doesn't begin to describe this thread.

If anything we're quite balanced in throwing dirt in this thread.  8)

There are a few good posters alright. A few.

Ur smugness knows no bounds...beyond laughable that you are so detached from reality that you consider yourself balanced. Or that you are a good poster. Or that u can pronounce on other posters qualities.

johnnycool

RH not coming across well!

P: Is the complainant a wonderful young woman?
RH: I don't know
P: Or is she a silly young woman?
RH: I think she is someone who has regretted what she's done
P: Regretted what she's done... with who?
RH: I'm not sure.

From Rosanna Cooney.

yellowcard

I wonder what good each of the defendants taking the stand has done. Reading the transcaript of Harrison's interview it appears as though he remembers only the small details that exonerates his 3 mates. I think the verdict is in the balance since we are only reading reports in the media, however based on that I can't get past the 'beyond reasonable doubt' which would lead to a conviction. Whatever the outcome though I think the other side will cry foul at the verdict given the level of grey areas that exist in the entire affair.   

AZOffaly

If the verdict is guilty, can the accused automatically appeal? And if the verdict is not guilty, does 'double jeopardy'  apply in UK law, or is that limited to the US?

Syferus

Prosecution playing a blinder. What was that about Harrison being a sound lad?

AQMP

Quote from: yellowcard on March 12, 2018, 04:14:09 PM
I wonder what good each of the defendants taking the stand has done. Reading the transcaript of Harrison's interview it appears as though he remembers only the small details that exonerates his 3 mates. I think the verdict is in the balance since we are only reading reports in the media, however based on that I can't get past the 'beyond reasonable doubt' which would lead to a conviction. Whatever the outcome though I think the other side will cry foul at the verdict given the level of grey areas that exist in the entire affair.   

I think the legal term for that is lying through your teeth!

AQMP

Toby Hedworth QC has finished toying with questioning RH.  RH had a character witness.  The defence has no further witnesses, legal argument tomorrow. Closing speeches Wednesday.

That read like a feckin disaster for RH.  He seemed to know a huge amount about something he could remember very little about.

tintin25

I alluded to it previously, but could say Olding be acquitted due to lack of evidence and Jackson be found guilty? (Based on what an earlier witness saw in the room and given he has denied penetrating?).

sid waddell

Tobes filleted Harrison there.

It's amazing the way the defendants claim all these messages they sent between each other mean something other than than what they appear to mean.

It's like the whole thing was surrealist performance art.

Very post-modern and ironic.

Walter Cronc

Could Harrison get done and the rest get off??

trailer

The defence was going pretty well right up until the point they opened their mouths. Their legal team looks like something that was assembled outside Ollie's at 4:00am. Absolute half wits.

AQMP

Timetable:

Wed - Fri has been set aside for closing speeches.  No sitting next Mon or Tues.  Judge will address jury next Wed (21st).  Jury deliberations will start then.

Sweeper 123

Have to agree - the prosecution QC looks to be knowing what he is doing - while the defense and their witnesses look like muppets that are not prepared