The Drop Kick

Started by Orior, April 15, 2020, 12:54:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

omaghjoe

Any idea why they always go so far when you catch them right?

I can think of two things...

1.  You get alot of top spin on the ball and it carries further.

Or

2. There is no external forces acting on the ball when it's at the apex of the bounce that would otherwise counter the force from the kick such as the fall from your hands

Personally I think it's no. 2 as I think drop kick would be more inclined to backspin and before they hit the ground the effect of spin would be small anyway Also u don't feel it as hard on your foot from a drop kick as you would with a normal kick...

LeoMc

I put it down to the trajectory, as the ball is being hit further below the centre line it goes at an angle closer to 45 degrees than a punt kick which is 15-30 degrees. A second minor difference is that the drop kick adds to the balls upward momentum rather than countering the balls downward momentum for a punt kick.

marty34

Quote from: redzone on April 26, 2020, 07:54:53 PM
Tohill at the start to day, bad miss for goal with a drop kick

Or decent stop by the keeper??

redzone

Good save for sure but terrible shot selection. Cost them the game

Milltown Row2

Quote from: redzone on April 26, 2020, 10:06:42 PM

I'd said earlier it was an option if you felt you were getting blocked, or soccer players used it a lot, I know Tohill had a trial with Utd, watched his game for Utd. I think the shot selection was the right one at that point as there were players homing in on him, but it was an outstanding save.

The big quest was how did Ross Carr stay on the pitch with that tackle? Horrendous
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

redzone

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 26, 2020, 10:43:30 PM

I'd said earlier it was an option if you felt you were getting blocked, or soccer players used it a lot, I know Tohill had a trial with Utd, watched his game for Utd. I think the shot selection was the right one at that point as there were players homing in on him, but it was an outstanding save.

The big quest was how did Ross Carr stay on the pitch with that tackle? Horrendous
You had to strike back then to get sent off. Down I think had overall better players and the game was everything I remembered about it. Scullion had a nightmare game
This years games should be kicking off next Sunday if things were right. With cavan monaghan in 2 weeks time. What an ulster opener that would have been

magpie seanie

I think you have to credit the keeper there. Usually don't save well hit drop kicks from that range unless it literally hits you. Unreal reflexes for that save.

omaghjoe

Quote from: LeoMc on April 26, 2020, 09:34:04 PM
I put it down to the trajectory, as the ball is being hit further below the centre line it goes at an angle closer to 45 degrees than a punt kick which is 15-30 degrees. A second minor difference is that the drop kick adds to the balls upward momentum rather than countering the balls downward momentum for a punt kick.

Dont think this in particular is always necessarily true..... but you could be on to something with it in that if you were going to hit the ball with a lower trajectory (ie with an angle closer to the ground/horizontal) with a punt you prob would be striking it further away from your body and therefore with a lower tangential angle to your swinging leg thereby getting less force onto the ball as you would if it was closer to your body.

whitey

https://youtu.be/2t6Bf7bpXlY

1:09 beautiful drop kicked pass.....you can see how the spin held it up in the air