Bord na Mona O’Byrne Cup 2019

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, September 26, 2018, 11:04:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Junior Ex Laoistalk

The draws for the 2019 Bord na Mona O'Byrne Cup have been made tonight by the Leinster Council.
In what is the only four team group, Group 1 sees Carlow facing Westmeath, Offaly and Kildare in the New Year, while in Group 2 Longford, Wicklow and Louth will all play each other.

Holders Meath are in Group 3 with John Sugrue's Laois side and Wexford.
Dublin have received a bye to the competition's semi-final stage.

2019 Bord na Mona O'Byrne Cup draws:   Dates: Dec 8, Dec 15, Jan 5.

Dublin a bye to Semi-Final
Semi-finals Jan 12.
Final Jan 18/19

Round 1      8.12.2018

Carlow v Westmeath
Offaly v Kildare
Longford v Wicklow
Laois v Meath
Louth v Wexford

Round 2     15.12.2018

Westmeath v Offaly
Kildare v Carlow
Wicklow v Louth
Wexford v Laois
Meath v Longford

Round 3       5.1.2019

Carlow v Offaly
Westmeath v Kildare
Longford v Louth
WexfordvMeath
Wicklow v Laois

Semi-Finals    12.1.2019

FINAL     18/19.1.2019

Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

les Antiques

Would have liked to have seen the Meath game played somewhere other  than Portlaoise particularly at this time of year. Lots of options around the county with the facilities required to host an O'Byrne Cup match of a December night .

The PRO

Quote from: les Antiques on November 29, 2018, 03:11:46 PM
Would have liked to have seen the Meath game played somewhere other  than Portlaoise particularly at this time of year. Lots of options around the county with the facilities required to host an O'Byrne Cup match of a December night .
It probably will be outside O'Moore Park. That's been the pattern for a few years now. It's on a Saturday. With it being Meath, Portarlington makes most sense.

Laoiseabu

Quote from: The PRO on November 30, 2018, 08:38:44 AM
It probably will be outside O'Moore Park. That's been the pattern for a few years now. It's on a Saturday. With it being Meath, Portarlington makes most sense.
Knowing our county board it will probably be Crettyard

The Monument Road

Quote from: Laoiseabu on November 30, 2018, 12:05:26 PM
No better place outside OMP than Cretty. From your inference you have a gripe with Crettyards pitch

SCFC

Quote from: The Monument Road on November 30, 2018, 02:23:09 PM
No better place outside OMP than Cretty. From your inference you have a gripe with Crettyards pitch
Whether the previous poster has a gripe with Crettyard or not, I don't know. But Port is the nearest end of the county to Meath. Why drag them to Cretty?

les Antiques

Leinster Gaa fixture list has it down for O'Moore Park Saturday week at 6pm

Don Draper

Quote from: SCFC on November 30, 2018, 02:44:44 PM
Quote from: The Monument Road on November 30, 2018, 02:23:09 PM
Whether the previous poster has a gripe with Crettyard or not, I don't know. But Port is the nearest end of the county to Meath. Why drag them to Cretty?
I'd drag the f**kers to hell for Flynns shite back in 91.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

The 2019 O'Byrne Cup gets underway next weekend with four first round games taking place.
Eleven of the 12 Leinster counties are taking part, with All-Ireland champions Dublin entering at the semi-final stage on January 12. The final is scheduled for Friday, January 18 and is set to televised by TG4.
The confirmed fixtures to date are as follows:

Round 1

Saturday, December 8
Longford v Wicklow, Newtownforbes, 7pm
Laois v Meath, O'Moore Park, 6pm
Louth v Wexford, Louth venue
Sunday, December 9
Carlow v Westmeath, Netwatch Cullen Park, 2pm
Thursday, December 20
Offaly v Kildare, Offaly venue

Round 2

Saturday, December 15
Westmeath v Offaly, Westmeath venue
Kildare v Carlow, Kildare venue
Wicklow v Louth, Wicklow venue
Wexford v Laois, St Patrick's Park, 2pm
Meath v Longford, Ashbourne, 5pm

Round 3

Saturday, January 5
Carlow v Offaly, Carlow venue
Westmeath v Kildare, Westmeath venue
Longford v Louth, Longford venue
Wexford v Meath, Wexford venue
Wicklow v Laois, Wicklow venue
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Jd

I think it has to be in Portlaoise cos the lights there are the only ones of hurling standard in the county. Football works with weaker lights.

SCFC

Quote from: Jd on December 03, 2018, 09:59:25 AM
I think it has to be in Portlaoise cos the lights there are the only ones of hurling standard in the county. Football works with weaker lights.
am I missing something? OByrne cup is football.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: SCFC on December 03, 2018, 02:26:03 PM
Quote from: Jd on December 03, 2018, 09:59:25 AM
am I missing something? OByrne cup is football.

It's one of the new rule changes for secondary competitions in football next year:

1.6b: All secondary football competitions, such as the O'Byrne and McKenna cups, shall make use of a sliotar. Optionally, teams may chose to use a sliotar in the first half and a big ball in the second. Hurls will not be permitted.

Seemingly it's to encourage counties like Kilkenny to play more football.

Jd

And that's what I get for posting before I put my brain in gear!!!  Nice to see that someone  actually reads the posts  on here

portlaoisekid

Any word on new additions to the Laois panel for the O'Byrne cup?

The PRO

Quote from: portlaoisekid on December 05, 2018, 12:36:59 PM
Any word on new additions to the Laois panel for the O'Byrne cup?
Infuriating that our county board or website wouldn't even throw up a panel or something. We don't expect a starting 15 or anything.

I see our county board PRO got Leinster PRO of the year award and well deserved but there is plenty of room for improvement in some areas.