renovations to house, whats best?

Started by milltown row, March 25, 2009, 07:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

milltown row

renovations to house, whats best?

with my mortgage lower now than every i was thinking of getting work done to the house. convert the garage to a room (it's attached to the house) and a sun room out the back. looking a good (cheap ;)) architect and a very good builder to carry out the job.

so quotes on how much the drawings will cost and an estimate on the building work. 

I'd imagine (i hope) that prices will be better now due to the down turn in building work and the work wont drag out.

mylestheslasher

How long is a piece of string.

Depends on if you manage it yourself, get the best architect or a student, use super duper glass or bogstandard in your windows etc. Roof design is a key issue. Anything from 20k to 50k I'd say.

Over the Bar

Go by recommendation and someone who's work you can see. 

Someone who minimises disruption and does a quick job is much preferable than the cheapest cos it'll take about 8-12 weeks.  You wife will take it out on you if the builder is noisy, messy and drags the job out.

DrinkingHarp

If you are looking at cost to value improvement then the kitchen is #1.

An updated kitchen will add the most value to your home followed by the bathrooms.

An addition such as a sunroom or converting garage to a livable room will add more value but just keep the costs in check.

Make sure a strong contract is in place before any work starts or money is exchanged.

And ask for references.
Gaaboard Predict The World Cup Champion 2014

milltown row

milltown row

Quote from: hardstation on March 25, 2009, 10:12:35 PM
When does your driving ban end? That was unfortunate. It was only a half bottle ffs. Just a wee pick-me-up on a Monday morning.

me? i'm a good boy. speeding yes? guilty bloody westlink road works!!!!!

picking this up for a Fiver

take_yer_points

I'm doing some work to the house soon and wanted some advice if anyone can help.

The work I'm doing is to remove a load bearing wall between the living room and the dining room and then put down a new (cheap - most likely laminate) floor in the room. I'm organising at the minute to get a few builders round to give me a quote but I want to make sure I cover everything with them.

1) Do I need any structural engineers or planning permission for the work? (or any other regulatory stuff?)
2) How much should removing the wall cost? I've budgeted for about £700
3) How much should laying the floor cost? The total size of the room will be approx 7.5 meters by 3.5 metres. I've budgeted about £400 for this (includes the buying of the floor)
4) Is there anything else I should be thinking of?
5) Can anyone recommend a reliable builder to do the work in north Belfast?

Thanks

Ulick

Quote from: take_yer_points on March 10, 2010, 11:07:33 AM
I'm doing some work to the house soon and wanted some advice if anyone can help.

The work I'm doing is to remove a load bearing wall between the living room and the dining room and then put down a new (cheap - most likely laminate) floor in the room. I'm organising at the minute to get a few builders round to give me a quote but I want to make sure I cover everything with them.

1) Do I need any structural engineers or planning permission for the work? (or any other regulatory stuff?)
3) How much should laying the floor cost? The total size of the room will be approx 7.5 meters by 3.5 metres. I've budgeted about £400 for this (includes the buying of the floor)

Thanks

Did similar work a few years ago.

1. You don't need permission beforehand but you will have to get the work certified after by building control in the Council.
2. Depending on your builder, I'd say closer to £1.5k.
3. Check that the floor in both rooms are at the same level. Very unlikely if it's an older house. Cost of the floor itself is dependent on the quality of the materials and who is laying it.
4. As above the floor level in each room.
5. Should be plenty about this weather.

delboy

Quote from: take_yer_points on March 10, 2010, 11:07:33 AM

Thanks

Expect to pay more for the removal of the load bearing wall, it'll need to be propped and a RSJ put in place, you'll be doing well to get that done for 700 notes, don't forget you'll probably want to touch up the plaster and box in the RSJ as well. Oh and as Ulick says you'll need to get it passed otherwise you'd have a hard time ever selling it (people wouldn't get a mortgage on it).

If its only a laminate put it down yourself its a peice of piss (get someone diy minded to give you a hand if needs be) a solid wood floor needs to be put down by someone who knows what they are doing but laminate just chuck it down and save yourself some cash, you are going to need it for the other holes in your budgeting.

take_yer_points

Cheers lads - I have set an extra bit aside in case of any unforeseen costs so looks like I'm going to be using the whole lot!!

Delboy, what's the difference between an RSJ and a lintel? (I know the basics of each but why an RSJ for this job?) A friend works for a local building suppliers and he said he could get the lintel for £50 for me.

delboy

Quote from: take_yer_points on March 10, 2010, 11:29:08 AM
Cheers lads - I have set an extra bit aside in case of any unforeseen costs so looks like I'm going to be using the whole lot!!

Delboy, what's the difference between an RSJ and a lintel? (I know the basics of each but why an RSJ for this job?) A friend works for a local building suppliers and he said he could get the lintel for £50 for me.

Im only surmising that you'll need a RSJ and not a lintel (they are usually used for above windows and doors) it all depends on the span of the new opening, what way the joists run, what the wall was supporting above etc and generally how the house has been put together, you'd really need someone who knows what they are doing to actually look at your house in the flesh.

My own house is pretty much held together by two steel beams (RSJs) tied into the chimney breast.

illdecide

Delboy knows what he's talking about so listen to him...the span will determine what is needed as well as loadings from up stairs...is there another wall above it up stairs...has the house a cut roof which will have loadings from the roof onto the floor. You would need to get those checked out 1st. If you have plans of you're house you could send them to me and I'll tell ya...Jasus for a small fee I'll even size the beam for ya ;)...So yes Building Control and a Structural Engineer's certificate.

Removing the wall is straight forward enough...a few props and a nice tidy builder will sort that out for ya but as mentioned earlier there is a fair bit of patching up to do afterwards. You have 30m2 (rounded up) of flooring there at about £15m2 which about £450 and then a guy will charge you about £100 - £200 to fit it but laminate is like lego and anyone with a bit of gumption can fit it.

There are loads of builders that could do that we job but get a price of them 1st and don't do day rates. With a small job like that don't pay anything until they're finished and you're happy with the work then hand over your cash. the only thing you may pay for up front is the flooring...NOTHING ELSE
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Hereiam

RSJ - Rolled Steel Joist not to be confused with a universal beam
You will most likely need a universal steel beam put in if the wall your taking away is carrying a wall or roof purlin's above. As Delboy says alot matters too if floor joists or slabs are resting on this wall.
It would need someone (structural engineer/architect) to have a look at it to see what is going on.

delboy

Quote from: Hereiam on March 10, 2010, 12:01:06 PM
RSJ - Rolled Steel Joist not to be confused with a universal beam
You will most likely need a universal steel beam put in if the wall your taking away is carrying a wall or roof purlin's above. As Delboy says alot matters too if floor joists or slabs are resting on this wall.
It would need someone (structural engineer/architect) to have a look at it to see what is going on.

Ah yes, i tend to call any I-beam an RSJ which isn't really correct, as Hereiam says it'll almost certainly be a universal beam.

take_yer_points

Thanks for the help lads - looks like I have another bit of work to do before I can get doing anything.

Illdecide, I'd have to try and find the plans. There is a wall above it though - I know that much. I am friendly with an architect a few doors down so might have a word with him and see if he'll come in and have a look.