Jobs

Started by Boycey, July 22, 2020, 08:12:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

I noticed going to Omagh last week that two places at least along the A5 had signs looking for welders and mechanics. The buses in Dublin show 'we are hiring' on the destination sign.

Quote from: The Subbie on April 02, 2023, 05:36:56 AM

I know our HR grown ups are looking at attrition rates , new hire rates and retention rates and they are nervous for long term

You have grown ups in HR? That's pretty unusual!
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

marty34

I'd say after the bust of 2009/10 onwards, not near as many young lads going into the construction trades as pre the boom.

This trend has continued.

I also think a small inpact on these trades is a lot more young lads, who may have been trades inclined, are now staying on a school as they may be on county academy squads and panels etc. Not a lot but it's have an impact, however small that may be.

LeoMc

Quote from: The Subbie on April 02, 2023, 09:40:24 AM
There's a bit of that all right but I think it's more

There is some lazy cnuts about - no doubt
There's also some ,who for them , any type of effort is just too much , accepting responsibility is off the reservation material
There's some who are fully focussed on what they "get" and don't have any understanding that they need to give to uphold their end of the deal

Longer term tho , there's - to my eyes anyway - a definite shift away from the construction industry it seems - next 5 -10 years will be interesting
The next 20 years needs a focus on the construction industry right across the Island and in Britain. Both have massive housing shortages leading to a property bubble that sucks money out of the economy. 

Additionally the UK and I am counting the North in that have suffered a chronic underinvestment in the infrastructure needed to grow the economy, from the A5 to HS2 to Lab space in Cambridge.

trueblue1234

I think there are a hell of a lot of useless c**ts out there now. No doubt about that.
I've noticed another big change in the last few years which some would view as a positive and some not. Less and less people are willing to put in the long slog, working a few extra hrs a few, going beyond what is asked anymore. I think Covid was the catalyst for this change. To be honest, I think it's generally a good thing as some employers were taking the p!ss, by lumping more and more work on, but then playing the poor me when it came to reimbursement. And I think many of those employers are starting to feel the impact of that now as it's become very much a candidate driven market (for most industries).
There's an obvious balance as some employees swing the lead big time as well. But I think some industries are realising the importance of a good employee and are trying to hold on to them more. Counter offers, generous increases etc are starting to be the norm now compared to years ago. The price of losing a good worker is high these days, as there's less of them about.
*I should add that not everyone who does long hrs are good workers. I know people who only start at 4pm and then like to be seen to sit on til 6 or 7. If they started earlier they'd have their Wk done in normal hrs!!
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

LC

Quote from: marty34 on April 02, 2023, 11:16:08 AM
I'd say after the bust of 2009/10 onwards, not near as many young lads going into the construction trades as pre the boom.

This trend has continued.

I also think a small inpact on these trades is a lot more young lads, who may have been trades inclined, are now staying on a school as they may be on county academy squads and panels etc. Not a lot but it's have an impact, however small that may be.

In the mid 90s I remember in my last year at minor level the split between boys at school and those out serving their time in our team was about 30 / 70, I would imagine it would be substantially different now.

tintin25

There's people who are lazy alright but some companies are completely tight and not willing to pay decent salaries.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: tintin25 on April 02, 2023, 06:37:16 PM
There's people who are lazy alright but some companies are completely tight and not willing to pay decent salaries.

Not notching that in my industry, big salaries and extra being handed out, though that's my area
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: armaghniac on April 02, 2023, 10:18:46 AM

I know our HR grown ups are looking at attrition rates , new hire rates and retention rates and they are nervous for long term

Indeed. Usually HR are the last people in the company to wake up to it.

They've obviously no f**king idea whatsoever of the cost of knowledge leaving the company on a regular basis.

In general, nowadays employers need to be offering both a big wage and good terms. Otherwise they're getting the dregs.

Our lot offer a reasonable wage, but they are completely at sea over terms. About 30 years out of date and they just keep losing people out the door at a horrendous rate. Yet not one of those in charge wants to deal with it - not even sure they acknowledge it.
i usse an speelchekor

Twobounces

I find that the construction industry is the worse. This is for office staff and direct labour to construction firms. Long hours from half 7 to 5 Monday to Friday and then wonder why they can't attract people to work for them. No flexible working, no remote working or early finish on a Friday.

Family firms worse again as no matter how good an idea is to improve work if the boss doesn't like it then no chance. Too many firms wants to be 21st century firms but treat their staff like they are still in the 20th century. Bare minimum of holidays and perks but keep doing things the way we've been doing them as always been done that way.

To get promotion need to be friendly with the boss no matter how good you are at your job. Only way to get better terms is usually threaten to leave.

Younger generation are looking at these firms and rightly so going here no I want better terms. As previous poster said a lot of firms are being left behind.

thewobbler

Quote from: Twobounces on April 02, 2023, 10:20:11 PM
I find that the construction industry is the worse. This is for office staff and direct labour to construction firms. Long hours from half 7 to 5 Monday to Friday and then wonder why they can't attract people to work for them. No flexible working, no remote working or early finish on a Friday.

Family firms worse again as no matter how good an idea is to improve work if the boss doesn't like it then no chance. Too many firms wants to be 21st century firms but treat their staff like they are still in the 20th century. Bare minimum of holidays and perks but keep doing things the way we've been doing them as always been done that way.

To get promotion need to be friendly with the boss no matter how good you are at your job. Only way to get better terms is usually threaten to leave.

Younger generation are looking at these firms and rightly so going here no I want better terms. As previous poster said a lot of firms are being left behind.

Great post. Construction is crying out for workers. The lads who leave the house at 4.30am 5 days a week seem to wear it as a badge of honour too. It's almost a creed like stance: do it this way, or do something else. It surely makes construction an unattractive career for many. But, actually, maybe that's the point? Make a role less attractive, and those that do it have to get paid more. Clever bastards.

The Bearded One

I've never been as unmotivated and dare I say depressed in my working life as I have been in the last 2 years. A combination of many things; Covid and working from home, a new Director with unrealistic expectations, lack of resource around me and just a realisation I'm not doing something I enjoy.

I've been proactively looking new opportunities but always sh*t the pants when it comes to it. Sometimes it's better the devil you know, wish I'd more balls to go for something else.
It is what it is. Presumably.

clarshack

Quote from: The Bearded One on April 02, 2023, 11:28:40 PM
I've never been as unmotivated and dare I say depressed in my working life as I have been in the last 2 years. A combination of many things; Covid and working from home, a new Director with unrealistic expectations, lack of resource around me and just a realisation I'm not doing something I enjoy.

I've been proactively looking new opportunities but always sh*t the pants when it comes to it. Sometimes it's better the devil you know, wish I'd more balls to go for something else.

There's a lot like you.

Mikhail Prokhorov

every workplace has a majority quiet quitters now

bare minimum work, unsackable but just show up and collect

employers are clueless about what to do

general_lee

Quote from: Mikhail Prokhorov on April 02, 2023, 11:44:36 PM
every workplace has a majority quiet quitters now

bare minimum work, unsackable but just show up and collect

employers are clueless about what to do
Performance review. Manage them out of the place.

The Subbie

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on April 02, 2023, 07:40:26 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on April 02, 2023, 10:18:46 AM

Indeed. Usually HR are the last people in the company to wake up to it.

They've obviously no f**king idea whatsoever of the cost of knowledge leaving the company on a regular basis.

In general, nowadays employers need to be offering both a big wage and good terms. Otherwise they're getting the dregs.

Our lot offer a reasonable wage, but they are completely at sea over terms. About 30 years out of date and they just keep losing people out the door at a horrendous rate. Yet not one of those in charge wants to deal with it - not even sure they acknowledge it.

My use of this he term grown ups was very much tounge in cheek, they are anything but in our place
Totally divorced from reality and they seem to think the entire world spins on company policy and their narrow minded view on what a job in our game actually involves

One interesting thing I read recently to do with resignations in our field in Australia was that for any staff member leaving ( engineer, foreman, supervisor, construction manager, QS, PM) that had more than 3 years in that role , the cost of that departure was about $170k in lost productivity etc & costs incurred to onboard a new person and get them up to speed
Look at any outfit that sees 400 plus people a year here leave ( normal here with big contractors) and it's easy to see why they are suddenly starting to get interested in staff retention
The thing is tho I'm not sure they can do it !