?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

oakleaflad

Quote from: Derry Optimist on January 12, 2018, 12:33:27 PM
As Carlus McWilliams  and Benny Heron appear to be the only two players ( other than the Slaughtneil contingent) of the  new Derry panel not to feature for any side in the McKenna Cup, I was wondering if they were injured.If so it means that management will be selecting from a very small pool of players for  at least four of the National League games.It would also surely mean that some additional players would have to be called into the panel presumably from the U20 squad.
The current McKenna cup squad along with the 2 Screen lads mentioned and the Uni students would be over 30 of a panel for the National League. More than enough without needing more U20's.

theticklemister

Quote from: seanyb1 on January 12, 2018, 11:18:10 AM
Quote from: Keyser soze on January 12, 2018, 09:36:00 AM
Carlin/Duffy is a minor competition.

Tells you how much I know about North Derry

Shows be your ignorance.....

Farewell Ballibderry and Ballherty too
And sweet Ballylifford in childhood we knew
When the seeds we have planted have blossomed and grown
Please remember Sean Larkin and lonely Drumboe

Lucky we don't have that problem in north Derry

theticklemister

NO comments since Friday...........

Them south Derry wans are a shower of watery hoorbags.

Anyways, anyone at the game today?

JoG2

@ a family do, followed on twitter. Got to within a kick of a ball near the end before Armagh hit a couple.
Be interesting to see the line out for the 1st game in Div 3 and if any of the more seasoned men are brought back in.

Been thinking about lonely Drumboe all weekend.....

toby47

Could anyone have a guess at the line up for the first League game in 2 weeks time?

oakleaflad

Quote from: toby47 on January 15, 2018, 08:14:05 AM
Could anyone have a guess at the line up for the first League game in 2 weeks time?
Saying it's relatively quiet i'll give it a go. Just basing this off the initial panel that was named and I'm not up to speed with any lads carrying injuries. I think he'll put out a fairly strong team as promotion has to be an aim whilst still having a look at one or two.

1. Ben McKinless
2. Niall Keenan
3. Kevin Johnston
4. Ruairi Mooney
5. Liam McGoldrick
6. Michael Bateson
7. Michael McEvoy
8. Conor McAtamney
9. Emmett Bradley
10. Ciaran McFaul
11. James Kielt
12. Enda Lynn
13. Niall Toner
14. Mark Lynch
15. Peter Hagan

I'd look to give game time to the likes of Terence O'Brien and Danny Tallon too after lining out for their universities and hopefully see the couple Screen lads make an appearance as well.

Derry Optimist

For the attention of my good friend "the ticklemister" and like -  minded historians.

Sean Larkin of Drumboe fame was born in Bellagherty in the parish of Ballinderry.His younger brother Paddy won a County Championship medal with   Ballinderry in 1927 and another one with the Loup, where he taught for many years, in 1936. When he was County Chairman in  1942 he refereed the County final between Magherafelt and Glenullin. The game  took place in Dungiven.The then County secretary  was future GAA President Paddy MacFlynn. Paddy MacFlynn was also playing for the Rossas that day.When he indulged in over robust play the County chairman had no hesitation in sending him off!They both travelled to and came home from the match together!The following week they again travelled together for the CCCCC meeting of the time.(The County secretary addressed the meeting telling them all which rule he had broken and what his suspension should be.He then sat outside the door  when, on the recommendation of his friend the County Chairman,  he was duly suspended!)

They remained firm and loyal friends for the rest of their lives.These South Derry men were made of stern stuff.

Incidentally Sean Larkin is buried in the Cemetery beside St Patrick's Church in the Loup.

braveheart

Quote from: Derry Optimist on January 15, 2018, 05:05:26 PM
For the attention of my good friend "the ticklemister" and like -  minded historians.

Sean Larkin of Drumboe fame was born in Bellagherty in the parish of Ballinderry.His younger brother Paddy won a County Championship medal with   Ballinderry in 1927 and another one with the Loup, where he taught for many years, in 1936. When he was County Chairman in  1942 he refereed the County final between Magherafelt and Glenullin. The game  took place in Dungiven.The then County secretary  was future GAA President Paddy MacFlynn. Paddy MacFlynn was also playing for the Rossas that day.When he indulged in over robust play the County chairman had no hesitation in sending him off!They both travelled to and came home from the match together!The following week they again travelled together for the CCCCC meeting of the time.(The County secretary addressed the meeting telling them all which rule he had broken and what his suspension should be.He then sat outside the door  when, on the recommendation of his friend the County Chairman,  he was duly suspended!)

They remained firm and loyal friends for the rest of their lives.These South Derry men were made of stern stuff.

Incidentally Sean Larkin is buried in the Cemetery beside St Patrick's Church in the Loup.
Honestly,the best post you've put up here. I enjoyed that.  History is your subject. The future,and prediction of teams isn't!

Uncle Phil

Fantastic stuff.

Real Talk

[/quote]

Yes that's some story .... great stuff .... I love them stories that begin with "do you mind the time .......... "  as long as there is no one around to contradict them ?

Not at all like footballers and football matches .......... its " win win" all the way

RedandBlacks

Anyone hear about the shake up in the leagues for this season?

apparently to 2019 league will change from 16 division 1 teams 14 division 2 teams 8 division 3 teams to 12, 12 and 14.

meaning a serious amount of relegation's.

apparently clubs have no say in the matter

shawshank

Quote from: RedandBlacks on January 17, 2018, 04:02:54 PM
Anyone hear about the shake up in the leagues for this season?

apparently to 2019 league will change from 16 division 1 teams 14 division 2 teams 8 division 3 teams to 12, 12 and 14.

meaning a serious amount of relegation's.

apparently clubs have no say in the matter

Your right, clubs have no control or power anymore, it's all about the county game. Think there is 9 weeks in late May, all June and part of July where there is no club league football, 9 weeks 😡 WTF is happening, meanwhile our county board is not advocating on behalf of our clubs, or if they are they are no gett8ng listened to.  In truth Croke Park call the shots, we are all sub serviants.

toby47

Teams are guaranteed 16 meaningful games in a season as it stands. 15 League and 1 Championship.

This year there is going to be 7 rounds of the league played from 4th April to 6th May.

Teams will have 45% of their games played in the first month, with 4 and a half months to play the remaining 10 games.

The 9 weeks Shawshank has mentioned above are not totally game free, the District competitions will be played during these months (as these are the weeks the county teams will be in action) The Larkin cup etc will be ran off over these 9 weeks i'm lead to believe with it being in a group stage format for extra games.

I think the craze of young players going to the USA for the summer is going to become even more popular with the first round of championship not pencilled in until weekend 6th-9th September.

Keyser soze

I must say I just completely fail to fathom the rationale for this.

The ratio of training to matches is already astronomical and this plan just seems to increase this.

Already half the league games are rammed into a 6 week window with the vast majority of footballers in Derry twiddling their thumbs all summer. Then the championship is rammed into whatever is left of the season's end.

Additionally the reduction in league numbers will obviously have a knock on effect on the championship draws as well. I think that the league structure is one of the strengths of Derry football, I really can't see how these changes will will do anything other than derail that.

lenny

Quote from: toby47 on January 18, 2018, 08:31:15 AM
Teams are guaranteed 16 meaningful games in a season as it stands. 15 League and 1 Championship.

This year there is going to be 7 rounds of the league played from 4th April to 6th May.

Teams will have 45% of their games played in the first month, with 4 and a half months to play the remaining 10 games.

The 9 weeks Shawshank has mentioned above are not totally game free, the District competitions will be played during these months (as these are the weeks the county teams will be in action) The Larkin cup etc will be ran off over these 9 weeks i'm lead to believe with it being in a group stage format for extra games.

I think the craze of young players going to the USA for the summer is going to become even more popular with the first round of championship not pencilled in until weekend 6th-9th September.

Players want to play games. If lads do go to America (who can blame them? - it's a great opportunity) it just gives someone else an opportunity. Players who stay at home don't want to be just training for weeks with no games. The larkin cup should give the clubs plenty of games without the pressure of worrying about relegation and it will allow clubs to blood young players in a competitive environment.