?

?
10 (50%)
?
10 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 20

toby47

Quote from: thepundit on November 15, 2017, 10:53:11 AM
What is the story with the age structure for club underage football? is it going to under 20s, 17s and 15s or going to stay the same? sounds like a bloody headache!

I believe it is the same as normal in club scene eg. u12, u14, u16, minors(u18). Only being county minors is changed to u17 and county u21s is changed to u20's.

oakleaflad

Quote from: toby47 on November 15, 2017, 11:25:29 AM
Quote from: thepundit on November 15, 2017, 10:53:11 AM
What is the story with the age structure for club underage football? is it going to under 20s, 17s and 15s or going to stay the same? sounds like a bloody headache!

I believe it is the same as normal in club scene eg. u12, u14, u16, minors(u18). Only being county minors is changed to u17 and county u21s is changed to u20's.
I don't think it's been decided yet afaik. I think there is to be a meeting about it. Would probably make sense to change to the U11/13/15/17/20 age groups because of the minor age change. Don't see how/why it would be a headache?

Keyser soze

Well if u have U 17 county and club stays at U 16 and U 18 there would probably be a knock on effect for both these grades getting games played which would not have been such a big impact previously.  I predict that grades at club will change to U17 and U15 etc this incoming year.  Decision is to be made in next couple of weeks afaik. Ps I think this change at national level is a load of bollocks.

shawshank

If there is a change this year it is would be a travesty. It would be typical of the culture within the Gaa currently whereby the club player is treated like shite. The season past when every one knew it was the last season of inter count u18 level, an u17 com po was ran to ensure those players at u17 would not be forgotten about. But here in Derrty are you suggesting that next seasons u18 players should be dispensed with, without any consideration of a 'gap' year for them. For some that would no minor this season as they weren't good enough to get on this years u18 team, and if this crap is pushed through, no football this incoming season as they will be playing- sorry training at u20 level.

At county level the players were treated with respect, but the Club player can go f**k them selves.

oakleaflad

Quote from: shawshank on November 15, 2017, 01:03:28 PM
If there is a change this year it is would be a travesty. It would be typical of the culture within the Gaa currently whereby the club player is treated like shite. The season past when every one knew it was the last season of inter count u18 level, an u17 com po was ran to ensure those players at u17 would not be forgotten about. But here in Derrty are you suggesting that next seasons u18 players should be dispensed with, without any consideration of a 'gap' year for them. For some that would no minor this season as they weren't good enough to get on this years u18 team, and if this crap is pushed through, no football this incoming season as they will be playing- sorry training at u20 level.

At county level the players were treated with respect, but the Club player can go f**k them selves.
Not sure who this is aimed at but no, as per above, nothing has been agreed as of yet. A 'gap' year could be an option or a bigger emphasis on U20. Also, if the age groups stay as is the clubs are more likely to be adversely affected as it could mean cancellations of u16 and u18 games if the county U17s are successful. It probably makes most sense to align the age groups with county for down the line.

toby47

Personally feel it was an absolute load of bollix ever changing county football from u18 and u21 to u17 and u20's

allseasons

Quote from: toby47 on November 15, 2017, 02:49:15 PM
Personally feel it was an absolute load of bollix ever changing county football from u18 and u21 to u17 and u20's

All to do with leaving cert down south. By lowering the age to u17 this means that the majority of players will no longer be trying to play county minor the same year as their leaving cert exams. Its a Player welfare thing that I'm sure most of the genius posters on here will complain about anyway.

Keyser soze

I think this consultation process is being run at Ulster level.

I wasn't suggesting what should be done just giving my (worthless) opinion as to what will happen. If this alignment doesnt happen this year it will definitely happen next year. And it will of course mean that players in their last year of U18 minor will miss out on their last year of underage, either this year or next, which is an inevitable consequence of this change. As I said earlier its a load of crap imo.

thepundit

No matter what way it goes there is going to be serious implications! Under 20s is going to be the biggest problem to solve. This is the age that there is the biggest drop of rate! At the minute I can't see a lot of teams being able to field on a consistent basis.  It will certainly take a few years to bed into place.

Real Talk

Agree Toby

.... U17's probably geared to suit the school system on the southern side of what will be the 'new hard border' dividing this island

.... the U20's  I just don't know

restorepride

Quote from: Real Talk on November 15, 2017, 11:10:53 PM

Agree Toby

.... U17's probably geared to suit the school system on the southern side of what will be the 'new hard border' dividing this island

.... the U20's  I just don't know

Was the MacRory Cup not geared at under 18 and a half once to suit the school system in Ulster? Does U17 not benefit the whole island? No division.

Keyser soze

I don't see that U17 suits the 26 any more than it suits the OSC, it means people doing their final year exams in both jurisdictions aren't eligible to play.

allseasons

Quote from: Keyser soze on November 16, 2017, 09:32:13 AM
I don't see that U17 suits the 26 any more than it suits the OSC, it means people doing their final year exams in both jurisdictions aren't eligible to play.

Jesus wept ::)

Keyser soze

Quote from: allseasons on November 16, 2017, 03:25:39 PM

Heh?

allseasons

Quote from: Keyser soze on November 16, 2017, 03:45:00 PM
Quote from: allseasons on November 16, 2017, 03:25:39 PM

Heh?

The idea of moving the age from under 18 to u17 was so our young players wouldn't have to combine playing  county minor football with the biggest exams of their lives in the same year.