Man Utd Thread:

Started by full back, November 10, 2006, 08:13:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Minder

I am not Gerrards biggest fan and you can say what you like about him but there are not many midfielders with his goalscoring record or that continually get into such advanced positions. He is a tremendous athlete. Alonso is not as dynamic but he is brilliant at dictating the tempo of the game, Gerrard is often accused of looking for the 60 yard "Holywood Pass", in Alonsos case this pass usually lands at the other players feet. Basically Liverpool cant operate effectively when one or both of them is missing. One thing Gerrard has going against him in the eyes of some of his critics on this board is his nationality.
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Minder

Quote from: full back on January 15, 2009, 10:57:19 AM
Quote from: Minder on January 15, 2009, 10:52:15 AM
I am not Gerrards biggest fan

Course you arent  ::)

Course im not, unlike some on this board i will say when a player from the team i support has weakness in their game. In fairness you are not guilty of this heinous crime FB........
"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

new devil

what did yous think of berbatov last night lads...thought tevez done well when he came on...worked his socks off as usual

corn02

Quote from: new devil on January 15, 2009, 11:00:00 AM
what did yous think of berbatov last night lads...thought tevez done well when he came on...worked his socks off as usual

Didn't see the game, how was Berbs?

All about opinions afterall lads. Someone said Gerrard was just his usual self, that is indicative of the standards he has set himself. Up until a few weeks ago Stephen Ireland would have had a strong claim.

corn02

Lads, I have been asked by a friend about getting United tickets. Knowing the difficulties of getting Pool tickets, can anyone offer advice on how to obtain them?

Goats Do Shave

Ireland has scored 1 goal less than Gerrard, but has made one more assist. In a struggling team that's impressive!

Lamps has scored the same as Gerrard, but if i took as many shots he takes every game I'd like to think I'd score as many!

corn02

Quote from: Goats Do Shave on January 15, 2009, 12:05:02 PM
Ireland has scored 1 goal less than Gerrard, but has made one more assist. In a struggling team that's impressive!

Lamps has scored the same as Gerrard, but if i took as many shots he takes every game I'd like to think I'd score as many!

Very impressive and he has been quiet the last couple of weeks.

magpie seanie

Gerrard and Lampard are like Ronaldo in that they have very little defensive responsibility so they really should be scoring goals. They are good athletes alright but they're not covering every blade of grass like a Bryan Robson or Roy Keane would have. They are more deep lying strikers than midfielders.

full back

In fairness seanie, there arent as many box to box midfielders as there used to be
Maybe it is just the way the game has evolved
Most midfielders now have defined roles such as the holding player or the attacking midfielder

nrico2006

QuoteGerrard and Lampard are like Ronaldo in that they have very little defensive responsibility so they really should be scoring goals. They are good athletes alright but they're not covering every blade of grass like a Bryan Robson or Roy Keane would have. They are more deep lying strikers than midfielders.

True Magpis, very true.  The like of Paul Scholes pulling the strings in midfield is uncommon nowadays, with Fabregas being the other player playing a similar role in what is probably the way a midfielder should play - although Scholes has a big problem when it comes to tackling.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Goats Do Shave

They're still out there:

Fletcher
Palacios
Jenas
Barry
Nolan
Barton

With varying degrees of success...

tieroan

There are strong rumours around Manchester that Michael Owen is expected in town this afternoon to put pen to paper for Utd.

new devil

Think an owen type player would do well at united....should of went for that kind of player in the summer instead of berbatov imo

Corn berbatov was again very poor last night...swaned about not breaking a sweat..would make you sick

full back

Owen would be a good signing
Might put a bit of pressure on Berbatov if nothing else