Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 22, 2020, 09:48:46 PM
Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 22, 2020, 09:30:36 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 22, 2020, 09:03:58 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on November 22, 2020, 04:36:19 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 22, 2020, 04:02:54 PM
Quote from: shark on November 22, 2020, 03:15:23 PM
Quote from: From the Bunker on November 22, 2020, 02:40:15 PM
Quote from: Hound on November 22, 2020, 01:19:36 PM

Dublin have had some amazing matches with Mayo and Kerry over the last 5/6 years. Some of the greatest games there's ever been. I've no idea why Meath and Kildare are not as good as Mayo and Kerry.

The reason is that Dublin has smothered the Leinster Champonship for 15 years now.  15 years! The one title Meath won in 2010 they could not even enjoy.

Kildare and Meath teams are constantly chopping and changing squads to try to get the right formula. Consistency is huge when building a team. You can also image many good players not committing. Why would they?

Exactly. Players won't commit. Been happening all across Leinster for years now. Lads chuck it in before they should be peaking.
Players will always commit to a set up which they think is serious

Mayo never have problems getting players to commit, there is a fierce hunger to win in the county and that's reflected in the senior set up they have, that's their culture

Ironically it's all those All-Ireland final defeats that have probably done more than anything to foster that culture and turn them into a pure, driven football county, every child in Mayo grows up dreaming of finally winning the All-Ireland for Mayo, they believe its achievable

Meath, Down, Armagh, Derry, Cork and Galway got their All-Irelands and fell off the map, perhaps because those All-Irelands sated the whole culture in the counties and made them rest on their laurels

I'd say if Jim Gavin or Malachy O'Rourke or Mickey Harte took over Meath, they wouldn't have too many problems getting players to commit

Davy Fitzgerald had no problems getting Wexford hurlers to commit

When Mick O'Dwyer took over Kildare, he energised the whole county

Jim McGuinness totally changed the culture in Donegal

More patronising shite. Meath, Down, Armagh, Derry, Cork and Galway just don't try hard enough. If only they wanted it as much as the Dubs! f**k me.

As for the other stuff - Harte often had his struggles to get players to commit to his own county.

Wexford hurlers are irrelevant. There is no monster in hurling.

O'Dwyer was in Kildare when the Dubs were mortal.

McGuinness got in with Donegal just in time. Before the machine was cranked to full power.

This post is exactly the type of subterfuge you usually go to town on in other topics.
But there was a monster in hurling - all the same things were said about them that has been said about Dublin - and other counties decided to take them down - they succeeded

Dublin were already a machine in 2014 - they were beaten

Only in 2018 did Dublin get a relatively clear run to the All-Ireland

In short, yes it is true - Meath, Down, Derry, Armagh, Cork etc. are not trying hard enough

Not trying hard enough means neglect of underage structures, neglect in terms of thinking, neglect in terms of persuasion of players, neglect in terms of attracting the business community, neglect in terms of administration, neglect of coaching

Sport is brutal - what Ray Boyne said last year is true - Dublin are one of a group of counties which do try harder - but also - nobody in Dublin doesn't acknowledge they have natural advantages  - of course they do

Dublin have natural advantages over Longford in the same way Germany have a natural advantage over Ireland in soccer - representative sport is inherently unfair

Since I wrote that post, Tipperary have won the Munster championship and Cavan have won Ulster

Neither was expected

Dublin try harder, God give me f**king strength. Bullshit of the highest order.

As a community, yes. There are huge areas of the country where gaelic games are third and sixth in terms of participation and the opposition have the facilities they don't in your county. We are generally not number 1 sport in a given area so have an additional set of problems your county doesn't have.

So getting kids out is harder and keeping them is harder. Getting punters to matches is harder as there is competition your county doesn't have.

Getting grants and funding is harder against bigger clubs in other sports.

Horseshit
what is?

Farrandeelin

"Is the Leinster championship in trouble?" asked Des. Jesus Christ.
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: seafoid on November 22, 2020, 07:24:33 PM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 22, 2020, 06:22:05 PM
Quote from: seafoid on November 22, 2020, 04:25:21 PM

Dublin have had some amazing matches with Mayo and Kerry over the last 5/6 years. Some of the greatest games there's ever been. I've no idea why Meath and Kildare are not as good as Mayo and Kerry.

The reason is that Dublin has smothered the Leinster Champonship for 15 years now.  15 years! The one title Meath won in 2010 they could not even enjoy.

Kildare and Meath teams are constantly chopping and changing squads to try to get the right formula. Consistency is huge when building a team. You can also image many good players not committing. Why would they?

Exactly. Players won't commit. Been happening all across Leinster for years now. Lads chuck it in before they should be peaking.

Mayo never have problems getting players to commit, there is a fierce hunger to win in the county and that's reflected in the senior set up they have, that's their culture

Ironically it's all those All-Ireland final defeats that have probably done more than anything to foster that culture and turn them into a pure, driven football county, every child in Mayo grows up dreaming of finally winning the All-Ireland for Mayo, they believe its achievable

Meath, Down, Armagh, Derry, Cork and Galway got their All-Irelands and fell off the map, perhaps because those All-Irelands sated the whole culture in the counties and made them rest on their laurels

I'd say if Jim Gavin or Malachy O'Rourke or Mickey Harte took over Meath, they wouldn't have too many problems getting players to commit

"Meath, Down, Armagh, Derry, Cork and Galway got their All-Irelands and fell off the map, perhaps because those All-Irelands sated the whole culture in the counties and made them rest on their laurels"

Who would have won the all irelands 2010-19 if the Dubs hadn't been financially doped?

https://youtu.be/ZSm1j4oL8zA

Dublin
Traffic cone gaels?

https://youtu.be/O3G1bwD0ao0

The Dubs post Heffo struggled .
Laois and Wesmeath were the last straw.
The Frankenstein project followed.

So Dublin realised they were sub par and got their shit together.

So stop whining and do the same.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 22, 2020, 10:57:13 PM

"Meath, Down, Armagh, Derry, Cork and Galway got their All-Irelands and fell off the map, perhaps because those All-Irelands sated the whole culture in the counties and made them rest on their laurels"

Who would have won the all irelands 2010-19 if the Dubs hadn't been financially doped?

Dublin
Traffic cone gaels?

Were you involved in this Dublin revival?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 22, 2020, 11:10:35 PM

Dublin
Traffic cone gaels?

At an extremely minor and peripheral level, I suppose I was.

What I didn't do was complain about how unfair it was that Dublin were shite.

From the Bunker

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 22, 2020, 11:16:14 PM

Dublin
Traffic cone gaels?

How come you did not complain?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 22, 2020, 11:30:57 PM

Dublin
Traffic cone gaels?

Because I'm not a loser. If your team is underperfoming you lift standards and work harder. You don't try and hobble who is ahead of you off the park.

sid waddell

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 22, 2020, 09:30:36 PM
Quote from: sid waddell on November 22, 2020, 09:03:58 PM
Quote from: Ed Ricketts on November 22, 2020, 04:36:19 PM

More patronising shite. Meath, Down, Armagh, Derry, Cork and Galway just don't try hard enough. If only they wanted it as much as the Dubs! f**k me.

As for the other stuff - Harte often had his struggles to get players to commit to his own county.

Wexford hurlers are irrelevant. There is no monster in hurling.

O'Dwyer was in Kildare when the Dubs were mortal.

McGuinness got in with Donegal just in time. Before the machine was cranked to full power.

This post is exactly the type of subterfuge you usually go to town on in other topics.
But there was a monster in hurling - all the same things were said about them that has been said about Dublin - and other counties decided to take them down - they succeeded

Dublin were already a machine in 2014 - they were beaten

Only in 2018 did Dublin get a relatively clear run to the All-Ireland

In short, yes it is true - Meath, Down, Derry, Armagh, Cork etc. are not trying hard enough

Not trying hard enough means neglect of underage structures, neglect in terms of thinking, neglect in terms of persuasion of players, neglect in terms of attracting the business community, neglect in terms of administration, neglect of coaching

Sport is brutal - what Ray Boyne said last year is true - Dublin are one of a group of counties which do try harder - but also - nobody in Dublin doesn't acknowledge they have natural advantages  - of course they do

Dublin have natural advantages over Longford in the same way Germany have a natural advantage over Ireland in soccer - representative sport is inherently unfair

Since I wrote that post, Tipperary have won the Munster championship and Cavan have won Ulster

Neither was expected

Dublin try harder, God give me f**king strength. Bullshit of the highest order.
But calling it bullshit is not an argument, you have to say why it's "bullshit"

Kildare are trying less hard than Mayo, and less hard than Donegal

The proof is in the results over a long period

The truth is brutal, and it spares no feelings

From the Bunker

Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 22, 2020, 11:56:23 PM

Dublin
Traffic cone gaels?

Because I'm not a loser. If your team is underperfoming you lift standards and work harder. You don't try and hobble who is ahead of you off the park.

How did ye lift these standards and learn how to work harder?

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: From the Bunker on November 23, 2020, 12:01:40 AM
Quote from: Baile Brigín 2 on November 22, 2020, 11:56:23 PM

Dublin
Traffic cone gaels?

How did ye lift these standards and learn how to work harder?

Personally? Not much beyond helping implement the Blue Wave stuff at club level. It was mocked, but it worked.

Rossfan

If only the Laythrums would work harder they'd get a team from their 3,000 players that would bate the best of Dublin's 39,000.
But they're too busy trying to keep things going in their 20 or so small clubeens.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on November 23, 2020, 12:09:25 AM
If only the Laythrums would work harder they'd get a team from their 3,000 players that would bate the best of Dublin's 39,000.
But they're too busy trying to keep things going in their 20 or so small clubeens.

But Lietrim were always shite. A Cinderella county. Don't even field a camogie team. Thats life in a county with less people than Bray. And I would suggest they overachieve.

The question is why counties like Meath with a pedigree, structure and no other major sports teams have given up. Thats a question of work ethic at commiittee level and down. Where is there plan? Where is their training guide for kids and GDO's?

Rossfan

Where is HQ throwing money at Meath Co Board to stop them all turning to soccer and rugby?
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Baile Brigín 2

Quote from: Rossfan on November 23, 2020, 12:20:20 AM
Where is HQ throwing money at Meath Co Board to stop them all turning to soccer and rugby?

Have Meath had any plans or strategy papers rejected or not supported? Has any county?

You remind me of the soccer heads whinging about the Grab Alls while doing hee haw themselves.

Baile Brigín 2

Maybe Meath are not the fairest example in that they at least got the Center of Excellence built and are starting on rebuilding their stadium. Which is more than most.