Football Ref

Started by Portbush, September 30, 2019, 10:33:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

clonadmad

There's currently 18 clubs supplying no ref,according to the 2019 laois handbook

Timahoe
Trumera
The Harps
Mountrath
Spink
Slieve Bloom
Park Ratheniska Timahoe
Mountmellick
Kyle
Abbeyleix
Arles Killeen
Arles Kilcruise
Ballinakill
Ballypickas
Ballyroan
Barrowhouse
Clonad (It pains me to say it)
Emo

Clubs pulling their weight
Clough Ballacolla 4
Portarlington 5
Rathdowney Errill 2
Graigecullen 3
Joseph's 3
Camross 3
Crettyard 3
Park Ratheniska 2
Ballylinan 2
The Heath 2
Colt 2
O'Dempseys 2

Blow-in

You can cut half the referees off that because a large amount hVe quit since the start of the year

clonadmad

Quote from: Batman!!! on September 30, 2019, 07:33:17 PM
You can cut half the referees off that because a large amount hVe quit since the start of the year

I'm well aware of that,it's also highly doubtful that any of the 18 clubs who didn't supply refs at the start of the year are now supplying them at the end of the year.

Blow-in

Who's over the referees does anyone know? What level of fitness training do they do and is anyone actually telling them about these mistakes

steven seagal

I listened to a good podcast over the summer called Against The Rules, it was by the fella who wrote The Blind Side and Moneyball. He did one of the episodes about referees in the NBA. The NBA invested millions upskilling referees, increasing their pay and also setting up a TV referees hub in New Jersey so that the referees in the stadiums could consult with a TV ref within seconds to make sure the correct call was made. All the surveys they conducted before and after have shown the referees have improved and a higher percentage of correct calls are made in every game, but the abuse towards referees has gotten worse and is being committed by more high profile players. His point was that people don't really want the correct call made by the referee, they only want calls made that suit them.

I would say this is heightened in the GAA because of the personal investment and parochialism involved with clubs. One thing that has struck me in recent years is the amount of abuse thrown at referees by teams who have been awarded a free, never mind the team that the free was given against. I'm not here to defend referees, but people can't expect to treat a group of fellas like dirt, fail to meaningfully invest in recruiting decent numbers, and then give out that the standard isn't high enough.

There's a major accountability problem when it comes to discipline in the GAA and I think that's one of the biggest problems with refereeing. Too many people in the GAA think punishments are only for other people and other clubs, and not their own, even when they are blatantly in the wrong. That comes back to the convoluted nature of the disciplinary process, and the only way to fix that is to streamline the whole thing, do away with appeals to the Leinster Council and DRA and all that oul sh*te. One avenue of appeal would be enough. Increase penalties on behaviour you don't want, anything less is tacit approval of that behaviour. Most senior championship games are played in O'Moore Park, the county board could easily set up a camera system in there to make sure there is video evidence from every game played there. It wouldn't take a huge investment to stretch that down to getting lads to video games at intermediate level or senior b in hurling. They could even offset the costs by selling the videos to the clubs to use for their own analysis, as most clubs now seem to video their games anyway.

If we want referees to be better, we need to increase the numbers doing it, attract the right people, retain them, and the put the right sort of pressure on them as well. Not pressure from abuse, but pressure from that fact they have been properly trained and certain standard is expected, and if they're not meeting it then there's lads there to take their place.

Mind you, I don't envisage any of that ever happening.

Blow-in

Agree but I was since told the football referees were hailed in twice over the championship to look at video clips of decisions whereas the hurling referees refused to attend. Not sure how true or false this is.

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Batman!!! on October 01, 2019, 09:26:53 AM
Agree but I was since told the football referees were hailed in twice over the championship to look at video clips of decisions whereas the hurling referees refused to attend. Not sure how true or false this is.

That's true as I know the Portarlington V Ballyroanabbey match was looked at in regards  to the goal that never was.

Zooming around

I think one simple step could cure a lot if problems on the field. Increase the penalty for dissent to 50m. They wouldn't be long shutting up.

Don Draper

Quote from: steven seagal on September 30, 2019, 10:24:13 PM
I listened to a good podcast over the summer called Against The Rules, it was by the fella who wrote The Blind Side and Moneyball. He did one of the episodes about referees in the NBA. The NBA invested millions upskilling referees, increasing their pay and also setting up a TV referees hub in New Jersey so that the referees in the stadiums could consult with a TV ref within seconds to make sure the correct call was made. All the surveys they conducted before and after have shown the referees have improved and a higher percentage of correct calls are made in every game, but the abuse towards referees has gotten worse and is being committed by more high profile players. His point was that people don't really want the correct call made by the referee, they only want calls made that suit them.

I would say this is heightened in the GAA because of the personal investment and parochialism involved with clubs. One thing that has struck me in recent years is the amount of abuse thrown at referees by teams who have been awarded a free, never mind the team that the free was given against. I'm not here to defend referees, but people can't expect to treat a group of fellas like dirt, fail to meaningfully invest in recruiting decent numbers, and then give out that the standard isn't high enough.

There's a major accountability problem when it comes to discipline in the GAA and I think that's one of the biggest problems with refereeing. Too many people in the GAA think punishments are only for other people and other clubs, and not their own, even when they are blatantly in the wrong. That comes back to the convoluted nature of the disciplinary process, and the only way to fix that is to streamline the whole thing, do away with appeals to the Leinster Council and DRA and all that oul sh*te. One avenue of appeal would be enough. Increase penalties on behaviour you don't want, anything less is tacit approval of that behaviour. Most senior championship games are played in O'Moore Park, the county board could easily set up a camera system in there to make sure there is video evidence from every game played there. It wouldn't take a huge investment to stretch that down to getting lads to video games at intermediate level or senior b in hurling. They could even offset the costs by selling the videos to the clubs to use for their own analysis, as most clubs now seem to video their games anyway.

If we want referees to be better, we need to increase the numbers doing it, attract the right people, retain them, and the put the right sort of pressure on them as well. Not pressure from abuse, but pressure from that fact they have been properly trained and certain standard is expected, and if they're not meeting it then there's lads there to take their place.

Mind you, I don't envisage any of that ever happening.
Wonderful post.

Blow-in

Jd

I think any abuse of refs from players or mentors-should result in an automatic free in from 30 meters anything closer is moved straight in front of goals 13 meters out. As I heard the bould Tommy Tynan say at a juvenile match recently when bringing up the ball " you keep talking and I'll keep walking". It would cause mayhem for a while but if applied across the board players would realize that mouthing will cost scores and their teammates would very quickly impose discipline on the talkers

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

not one Laois huring referee has officiated in any of the leinster club competitions this winter, says a lot for the standard we are dealing with in the county.

Blow-in

Maybe we have nobody on the panel? I thought max age you could be was 40 for them lists. Could be wrong now.

marty34

Never mind the fixtures, the referee situation is the biggest thing on the GAA's agenda.

Without referees, there will be no games.

Blow-in

Quote from: Batman!!! on November 18, 2019, 11:05:48 PM
Has Pat Moran retired?

Ignore question. Answer was in the documents sent out by nial handy for the clubs for a county GAA meeting :-X