Connacht MFC Roscommon v Mayo

Started by westmayo, June 20, 2007, 08:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mannix

I think you were drunk when you said you were there with jom, ten to four sunday morning posting suggests the beer got the better of you.And by the way minor did f all for laois.

Shrewdness

Mannix, who is talking about Laois?.....Some of Mayo's play last night was dirty, such as off the ball hitting, late challenges etc, not to mention the elbow into the face of Ros captain Paul Garvey that practically knocked him out.

Mayo got a footballing lesson from the young Rossies last night, and i believe that the final scoreline actually flatters Mayo.

We don't need JOM to tell us we have a good team, but make no mistake, nobody in Ros will get carried away by this result. It was only a Connacht Semi Final.

Apparently, this was a very highly rated Mayo team, but aren't they all. The young Rossies had no fear of Mayo last night, but why would they. Mayo haven't won a Connacht Minor title since 2001, while almost half of that Ros team have an All Ireland Medal in their back pockets.

Donal Shine still only half match fit.

mannix

The day we need lessons from roscommon about football or anything else we are finished.Roscommon have a nice minor side and so did laois at minor for several years, those same minors are not on the laois panels today so that was my point on that one.
I doubt Mayo were dirty without reason,have you ever seen a dirty Mayo team?
Good luck to roscommon for the rest of the season at all levels, its good to see you win but keep a lid on it.

Rossfan

Quote from: mannix on June 24, 2007, 03:40:53 PM

There are none so blind.......... ::)
I certainly saw a dirty Mayo team last night -  Paul Garvey almost decapitated;Kevin Higgins and James McKeague fouled at least 10 times each ...nos 8 and 9 lucky not to have got reds......

Last year when Ros minors bet Galway in the first Round we had a loads of Galway posters telling us about it being the worst Galway minor team in years.
This year we bate Mayo and we have Mayo posters telling us it's the worst Mayo minor team in years.
Get used to it lads -hopefully it's the future. ;)
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

mannix

As I could not be there I will take your word for it and say well done, now lets see you repeat the allireland feat.I am shocked to hear a dirty Mayo team took the field, maybe the manager has been teaching them his ways.
Honestly, you must agree Mayo are generally a sporting county, we are not known for dirt.

Rossfan

Quote from: mannix on June 24, 2007, 05:26:51 PM
you must agree Mayo are generally a sporting county, we are not known for dirt.

Wouldnt disagree with that most of the time.
Maybe if ye had a bit of in in 1989/1996/1997/2004/2006..... :'(
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Rossie11

Fair play the minors. Didnt get to it but delighted that a bit of pride is back after the seniors debacle.
Am sure O'Donnell will keep the players feet on ground. Done it last year when county was going mental.

Msgr. Horan

Quote from: Rossfan on June 24, 2007, 05:22:38 PM
Quote from: mannix on June 24, 2007, 03:40:53 PM

Last year when Ros minors bet Galway in the first Round we had a loads of Galway posters telling us about it being the worst Galway minor team in years.
This year we bate Mayo and we have Mayo posters telling us it's the worst Mayo minor team in years.
Get used to it lads -hopefully it's the future. ;)
Not a chance, ye'll lose the run of ye'reselves with a bit of success and start naked tractor driving or stealing busses or something. The rest of the province just has to sit back and wait for ye to implode.

heineken_on_tap

Great result for the Ros minors but nothing to get carried away about. These young lads seem to have their head screwed on so hopefully they will take all this in their stride. The good thing is they are guaranteed at least two more games. Being All-Ireland champions means every one will be out to beat them but thats motivation in its own way. Think we are curently seeing the fruits of the hard work gone into the under age structure in the last few years. Think the management team is doing some job with these lads - deserve a lot of credit................

blast05

Quotenot to mention the elbow into the face of Ros captain Paul Garvey that practically knocked him out.

If it was deliberate then why wasn't he sent to the line given that the ref was right up with the incident ?
In my view, the Mayo corner back went to give the Ross lad a shoulder but the Ross lad was moving away from him. The Mayo lads arm came up as he was almost losing balance when there was nothing there to shoulder. His elbow inadvertently connected with the Ross guys jaw. A very clumsy tackle that could have broken a cheekbone or a jaw - a yellow card in my view and as per adjudged by the ref. If the ref deemed it deliberate then it would have been the easiest decision in the world to have given a red, but he didn't and thats the decision that counts - not the opinions of idiots in the stand screaming for the corner backs head on a plate.
Needless to say, the Rossies booed the Mayo corner back every time he touched the ball from there on.

An impressive win by an impressive Ros minor team but i guess yee guys can't leave it at that. Any comments from Rossies re the Mayo minor manager reflect nothing other than bitterness cos of the amount of goals he scored in championship against yee. My comments re it being a poor Mayo minor team were due to the appalling handling skills of the team and the countless poor decisions that were made when in possession - this was nothing to do with the Rossies.

Oh and good to see that "secret agent Maughan" is doing his job so well with the seniors.

magpie seanie

QuoteIn my view, the Mayo corner back went to give the Ross lad a shoulder but the Ross lad was moving away from him. The Mayo lads arm came up as he was almost losing balance when there was nothing there to shoulder.

If you played football you'd know that this kind of thing can happen alright. It looks bad to the observer but its actually not malicious though it is dangerous. Obviously I didn't see the incident but I think I've seen many like it in the past. It's a product of being over eager and is clumsy more than spiteful.

It seems to me that Ros are blessed with great management at this age. Again they were pretty average in the Connacht League but have risen it at the right time. Galway were pretty unimpressive against our lads in the second half yesterday (our lads simply did not turn up in the first 20 minutes) so a second Connacht in a row looks to be Roscommon's for the taking.

Shrewdness

blast05, in fairness to you, well done for at least commenting on Saturday's game. As we all know, this site is well populated by Mayo people, but for some reason, there seems to be a shortage of them on this thread since Saturday.

You could say the silence is deafening from Mayo on this one. The few that have contributed have tried to slag off Roscommon, (APART from blast05)

BauldBull

Jaysus Shrewd would ya give it a rest.

I was not at the game on Saturday, but having played the game I would take Blasts version of events. These things can happen. Now get over it.

Shrewd you seem intent on ramming this victory down Mayo peoples throats. There are some rossies(or alot other counties may say) who seem unable to act graceful in victory. Quit making a fool of yourself and dragging the rest of us down with you.

Tubberman

QuoteYou could say the silence is deafening from Mayo on this one. The few that have contributed have tried to slag off Roscommon, (APART from blast05)

I think if you look back, you'll see that I said I was disappointed by Mayo's performance and that Ros could go far again. Hardly slagging you off.
And if you think Mayo are being bad losers, I could suggest you are a bad winner.
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

Ryano

Quote from: blast05 on June 25, 2007, 12:20:48 PM
If it was deliberate then why wasn't he sent to the line given that the ref was right up with the incident ?
In my view, the Mayo corner back went to give the Ross lad a shoulder but the Ross lad was moving away from him. The Mayo lads arm came up as he was almost losing balance when there was nothing there to shoulder. His elbow inadvertently connected with the Ross guys jaw. A very clumsy tackle that could have broken a cheekbone or a jaw - a yellow card in my view and as per adjudged by the ref.

I'd agree Blast. It was a clumsy rather then malicious tackle. Having said that i was surprised by some of the other tackles that were being put about. It's rare to see a Mayo team being "dirty" and i don't think these lads were to be honest. It was more to do with frustration i'd think due to them playing so poorly and Ros running circles around them. Anyone who has played football will have known the feeling at some stage in their career. It's easy to loose the run of yourself at times.

Needless to say, the Rossies booed the Mayo corner back every time he touched the ball from there on.

Ah come on! What do you expect? Its a home game with a large home crowd. If you take it in context with some of the other tackles that were put in on Ros players, the fact that it was on the Ros captain who he clobbered then of course he was going to be booed. It would have been no different down in McHale park, Pearse stadium or Croke park. It's not fair to suggest that because it was "Rossie" fans it was unique.

An impressive win by an impressive Ros minor team but i guess yee guys can't leave it at that.

Whats that meant to mean? I can't understand how people would begrudge us our small bit of success when it comes around every 50 years or so. For christ sake when Mayo reached the Ai final they were writing songs, putting up posters and sacrificing fatened calves for weeks before the game was even played. Why cant we celebrate actually winning a final?

Any comments from Rossies re the Mayo minor manager reflect nothing other than bitterness cos of the amount of goals he scored in championship against yee.

I don't know about bitterness... But there again i don't think he was ever a dirty player either so i don't know how or why he would pass on anything like this to his players.

Oh and good to see that "secret agent Maughan" is doing his job so well with the seniors.

Aye, nearly as good as he did with ye. Thankfully he has not brought us to the AI to make a holy show of us in front of the GAA world though ;)