Connacht MFC Roscommon v Mayo

Started by westmayo, June 20, 2007, 08:48:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

westmayo

With all the hype surrounding the senior championship game against Galway back in May, it's now the time of the minors to show us what they are worth. Saw them against both Sligo and Galway in the minor league which they looked impressive enough in, but that's been a while ago. How does the board see this one go against last years All Ireland champions. This is the first test of Dempsey's intercounty management will he be able to guide Mayo to their first Connacht title in a couple of years.

rosnarun

any word on the team yet . i suppose its the usual crowd of south mayo landed gentry types that we will never hear of again :P
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

westmayo

According to Edwin McGreal in the Mayo News the squad has six from Breaffy, four from Garrymore, three from Ballintubber, the rest from all over. He also goes on to say the majority of the squad are made up from West and South Mayo. There are the likes of Caomhin Carty and Alan Freeman (Aghamore),  Niall Prenty (son of John) from Ballyhaunis. There are also a few from last years side, Kevin McLoughlin (K/More), Donal Gallagher (Achill), Sean Prendergast (C/Morris), Kieth Glynn  (Davitts), Damien Keane (W/Port) and Ruaidhri O'Connor (Ballinubber)

Rossfan

First ye are not playing last years All Ireland Champions.
Most of that team are now overage.
Second the two best survivors of last years team have been out injured for months and will not be available until August by which time we may be well gone.
Mayo with their underage traditions and much greater population and I believs a very good squad must be roaring favourites.
Hopefully the minoreens will at least have the traditional Ros spirit unlike the Senior clowns.
Of course the minors have one big advantage -they have a Manager.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

rosnarun

are minor teams so political in other coiunties.
Crossmolina dispite probably having been the stongest club in mayo over the last decade or so have  had just a smattering of minor players. I remember way back in my  . A certain red headed Publican from kiltane was a minor selector he alway made sure erris had about 4 or 5  player in the team in cluding any relevant family member. But dispite the presence of roachford (is he there this year?) over the last few years north mayo now nevr seem to get a fair crack
What happent the roscommon manager?
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

intoDwest

That Red headed publican only ever had one member of his family on the Minor side, and he has an all Ireland medal to show for it. I'm from Kiltane and I've never seen more then one player form our club in any given year line out for the county, Usually we done have any representation on the Minor side. Micky Sweeney was on it last year and after Hanley he was probably our most dangerous forward.

Tubberman

You're awful cranky lately rosnarun!
Hopefully when the qualifiers get going, your form will improve  ;)

Ray Dempsey is from Knockmore, and as far as I know his selectors are from Charlestown and Burishoole (are there more?).
Now, you'd do well to find any south Mayo landed gentry in that group!
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

ludermor

Ros
You must be kidding if you think that the red haired publican would be pushing to get belmullet lads on the team.

mayo51

roscommon   0.3           mayo   0.1  after 12 min.

Shamrock Shore

mayo51

ros  1.10 mayo 1.4   5 min. to go

Tubberman

Finished 1-11 to 1-5.
From listening to it on the radio, Mayo were very poor, but Ros could do well again this year.
No Connacht minor title in 6 years now  :(
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

blast05

Made the trip to see this. It was the poorest Mayo minor team i have seen for some time. We didn't have 1 standout player. We only had 1 point on the board after about 40 minutes. A couple of fairly physically big subs came on then and made a bit of a difference but Roscommon were in a different class. Depressing stuff.

mjg

Went to the game with the mayo senior manager to really see this much vaunted mayo minor team an as a rossie was delighted to see the knockmore thug put in his place,no room in gaa for his style of play.On the way home the mayo senior boss reckons ross will retain all their titles

stephenite

Quote from: mjg on June 24, 2007, 03:50:12 AM
Went to the game with the mayo senior manager to really see this much vaunted mayo minor team an as a rossie was delighted to see the knockmore thug put in his place,no room in gaa for his style of play.On the way home the mayo senior boss reckons ross will retain all their titles

Somehow don't think the Mayo senior manager would be too happy to be associated with your comments