Manager assaulted in Kerry club game

Started by stephenite, June 15, 2007, 12:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thejuice

it just get worse and worse. Whats wrong with people. I've gotten a few thumps on the field of play but this is ridiculous. Life long bans and perhaps banning clubs from competitions might get people to co-operate. The penalties have to be harsh. The problem is when a penalty is imposed there is an outcry. People need to be told these are the rules and thats that. People trying to get their suspensions lifted and trying to exploit loopholes are also part of the problem. Those who encourage and assist people to get their suspensions over turned are equally to blame. Fine there needs to be a process of appeal but should only be for genuine cases and not opportunists.

lately the incidents have crossed the line into crinimal assault. Its time to get tough on these f****rs before they ruin our games completely
It won't be the next manager but the one after that Meath will become competitive again - MO'D 2016

the Deel Rover

heard once the ptg broke his brother in laws jaw in a championship match did this ever occur or is it just bullshit
Crossmolina Deel Rovers
All Ireland Club Champions 2001

Fear ón Srath Bán

Quote from: the Deel Rover on June 15, 2007, 11:36:04 AM
heard once the ptg broke his brother in laws jaw in a championship match did this ever occur or is it just bullshit

From the Irish Times Archives, published on 11/02/1997, I think this is what you're referring to:

A LEADING Tyrone official has defended the decision to overrule a referee's report and exonerate county star Peter Canavan in the wake of disturbances at December's league final.

Frank Rodgers, secretary of the Tyrone Games Administration Committee (GAC), was responding to reports in the weekend's Sunday Independent and Sunday Tribune which drew attention to the referee's report which cited Canavan for physical interference with, and threatening language to, the referee.

Rodgers said the county's games administration committee (GAC) had reached its conclusion based on a preponderance of evidence that conflicted with the match official's report.

Canavan, who wasn't playing in the match between his club Errigal Ciarain and Carrickmore, was one of several names cited in the report of referee Michael Hughes, but he escaped the suspensions handed down to 11 others.

The GAC considered the referee's report, together with extensive witness and video evidence, before publishing its conclusions at the end of last month.

The incident arose when a fracas broke out at the end of the match on December 22nd last. The referee decided to abandon proceedings, obviously against the wishes of the Errigal Ciarain contingent whose club were leading by three points in injury time. Canavan was one of those who surrounded the referee to protest.

Carlsberg don't do Gombeenocracies, but by jaysus if they did...

The Real SlimShady

Billys Boots

QuoteA LEADING Tyrone official has defended the decision to overrule a referee's report

Oh, it's not a new development in Tyrone then?  ::)
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

Declan

Assault victim: Safety 'secondary' in GAA

By Colm O'Connor
THE GAA's much-hyped 'get tough' disciplinary edict suffered another huge blow last night after the player who allegedly head-butted an opposition selector in a Kerry junior football game was banned for a mere EIGHT WEEKS.

The Clounmacon manager struck in a club game earlier this month is considering his future in the Association after the North Kerry Board's decision to let his assailant off so lightly.Enda Murphy claimed he was hit by a St. Senan's player near the end of a North Kerry league semi-final in Finuge and sustained a suspected broken jaw, loosened teeth and swelling. St Senan's were leading at the time and the match was abandoned.
"He has gotten off scott free for what he has done. I am sick, sick as a parrot. This is an absolute disgrace. I am in a state of shock," he told the Irish Examiner last night."The referee's report didn't tell the real story. The GAA rulebook needs to be rewritten."Adding insult to Murphy's injury, his club were fined €100 and severely warned as to their future conduct after their officials took the team off the field before the final whistle had blown. Murphy explained the reason behind that decision.

"After I was hit, our secretary saw young kids on the sideline near the incident and in the interest of safety, as tempers were running high she decided to get the players to the dressing room. Now it seems that we have been punished for that."The big message that has come out of this is that safety comes second."He added: "Things like this need to be investigated differently. I am just so disappointed with the injustice on Clounmacon and myself."Taxi driver Murphy was forced off work for over a week following the incident."I started back working at the end of last week," continued Murphy. "One couple told me that they would not be leaving their kids go to GAA matches unless this kind of thing was punished. People have very strong feelings about it around here. We are going to appeal the decision.

"The message it sends out is that there is no serious punishment for serious indiscipline in the GAA. I would seriously think about putting my own son into an other sport. Look at the discipline in rugby and soccer. Things like this wouldn't be allowed to happen there."He revealed he is also considering his own future in gaelic football management."As the club has been so good, I feel it would be unfair to walk out with important games to come this season. Once the season is over, unless our appeal is successful then I will walk away from it all. I have no contact, no apology, nothing from the other club."Though we had plenty of witnesses, the bottom line is that if the referee doesn't see, it doesn't matter.Murphy also revealed that he is considering legal action.
"Someone has to be held accountable," he said.The North Kerry Board insists it followed all relevant protocol before reaching their decision.Board PRO Mick Flavin said: "In relation to the inquiry regarding the Division Two North Kerry League semi-final between St Senan's B versus Clounmacon A, the CCC findings are as follows:
A. A St Senan's player was suspended for a Category Three offence which carries a suspension of eight weeks from date of meeting.

B. That the Clounmacon club forfeits the game and the game awarded to St Senan's.

C. That both clubs were fined and warned as to their future conduct.

Board sources insist they were following procedures and protocols laid down in the official rule book. They stressed that their hands are tied by that document.

Said a source: "A Category Three offence is attempting to strike with hurley, kicking, attempting to kick, stamping, striking or attempting to strike with the head, reckless inflicting of injury by other means or any type of assault on an opposing team official.

The penalties are twofold: Firstly a minimum eight weeks suspension in the same code at the same level inclusive of the next game in the same competition of that competition year even if that game falls outside of the suspension time period.

"Secondly a minimum on a repeat infraction is a 16 weeks suspension in the same code and at the same level as that as which the infraction was committed inclusive of the next game in the same competition of that competition year even if that game falls outside of the suspension time period. We were just applying the rules as they are written down."

Jinxy

All such incidents should from now on have a combination of disciplinary and civil/criminal penalties. The GAA should start applying maximum, NOT minimum penalties and every effort should be made to co-operate with the guards. The media are trawling match reports from all over the country with a fine tooth comb. This type of behaviour cannot be allowed to continue. We've had one of the best starts to the hurling and football championships in recent years yet the headlines are being dominated by some ape in a junior B match in the middle of nowhere blowing a gasket and attacking someone. Enough is enough.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

Mike Sheehy

QuoteI applaud the man, he will get a hard time for his stand from lots of savages in kerry.

You can applaud him without insulting the rest of us....or are you, as you say yourself, a "bitching lesbo"

pintsofguinness

I think 8 weeks is plenty for this, I can't see why he's complaining or what he wanted.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?

johnpower

SouthArmaghBandit

I thought it used to be 3 months for this sort of thing. Or maybe even 12 weeks.

Over the Bar

Was at the Errigal / Carrickmore game in question.  It's one in a long litany of controversies that Michael Hughes gets involved in.   He' a nice fella and knows the rules inside out, however he brings a lot on himself.  He quickly gets riled and becomes like the school teacher trying to stamp his authority on an unruley class and actualy gets involved with players .  He does not have the temperament for a big game.

Uladh

8 weeks for head butting. i don't see the problem.

Are people claiming it should be more for hitting a "team selector"?

Uladh

Quote from: Over the Bar on June 30, 2007, 10:08:29 AM
Was at the Errigal / Carrickmore game in question.  It's one in a long litany of controversies that Michael Hughes gets involved in.   He' a nice fella and knows the rules inside out, however he brings a lot on himself.  He quickly gets riled and becomes like the school teacher trying to stamp his authority on an unruley class and actualy gets involved with players .  He does not have the temperament for a big game.

Why did he cite canavan for verbally and physically abusing him? did he completely make it up?

pintsofguinness

8 weeks for head butting. i don't see the problem.

Are people claiming it should be more for hitting a "team selector"?

It's probably because he ran crying to the papers, it's taken out the high and mighty crowd.
8 weeks is plenty, in fact 4 weeks would have been enough considering that if the same happened tomorrow in a club game and the media weren't alerted 4 weeks would be all that would be given.
Which one of you bitches wants to dance?