Manager assaulted in Kerry club game

Started by stephenite, June 15, 2007, 12:54:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephenite

'I was on the sideline when he called my name and head-butted me in the face'

By Colm O'Connor
ANOTHER GAA disciplinary controversy has erupted in Kerry with local GardaĆ­ asked to investigate an alleged assault which occurred during a junior game on Tuesday night.

Clounmacon manager Enda Murphy claims he was head-butted in the face by a St Senan's player towards the end of a North Kerry League Division 3 semi-final in Finuge. Murphy, 31, alleges he was knocked to the ground by the player who came from the dug out and was unconscious for a few minutes. He now wants GAA chiefs to put down a marker to prevent similar incidents happening in future. Mr Murphy was taken for medical assessment to South Doc in Listowel and then to Kerry General Hospital for an x-ray at 1am.

His injuries included severe swelling on the side of his face, loose teeth and a suspected fractured jaw.

Following the alleged incident Clounmacon mentors took their team off the field. There were eight minutes remaining and St Senan's were leading by four points.

Mr Murphy told the Irish Examiner: "We were awarded a free close to the St Senan's goal. I was on the sideline when a player jumped from the dug out, called my name, and as I turned around, he head-butted me in the face. I was shocked and unaware of what was happening until I was on the ground with team officials around me.

"It was the most frightening experience of my life. While the physical pain of the incident is just about bearable, the mental pain, humiliation and embarrassment resulting from the incident is terrible. To be attacked in this manner is not in keeping with the spirit of sport and I left the field in tears.

"This was an unprovoked attack and someone has to take action to stamp this sort of thuggery out of the game."

Murphy feels it is vital that more and more people speak out against such incidents.

"The main reason I have come forward with this is that no other manager, or anyone involved in helping out or playing GAA, will have to suffer the same fate as this.

"The punishment has to start somewhere. If this happened outside a disco in Listowel it would be treated as a criminal offence. That's the attitude that must come from the GAA. It is getting out of hand all over the country. There are very few places that the punishment fits the crime.

Mr Murphy also revealed that no officials from either the North Kerry Board or the St Senan's club had contacted him since the incident which has forced him out of work.

"I have received 100% support from everyone in the club which I am thankful for. I am definitely taking time out of football. I have stepped down from the Feale Rangers U21 side. I was due to be playing with Clounmacon B this week but I will be staying away from football for a while. I am going on ten years in management and never had as much as a shoulder on the sideline.

"It is tough enough managing a team without something like this happening. The GAA at the highest level need to get more serious about incidents like this."

North Kerry GAA Chairman Liam Dennehy confirmed an incident took place during the game "While I was not at the game, I understand that an incident did take place. I am awaiting the referee's report on the matter and once I receive that, we will deal with the matter."

GardaĆ­ say once they receive a complaint, an investigation will be launched.

It is the second high profile case of ill discipline this week. Westmeath football panelist Paddy Martin could be facing a one-year ban following an alleged altercation with a referee in a club game last weekend. Martin, who made an appearance as a substitute in the Lake County's All-Ireland quarter-final defeat to Dublin last year and featured in this year's National League, was involved in an incident which felled Moate referee Tom Duffy during Ballymore's IFC clash with Ballynacargy on Sunday.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Time to start handing out life bans I feel, there have been too many incidents over the past five years for this sort of behaviour to be described as isolated incidents.
Life ban for the player in this case, life ban for the player in Westmeath. And life ban meaning no entry to any GAA events, stadia etc for life.

Pangurban

If incident occurred as described in the report,then a life ban is called for. its long past time we start to make thugs accountable for their actions,for which they no longer believe carry any consequences. Lets start disabusing them of that notion not only within the G.A.A. but in society generally. Our association can show the way. Those who refuse to discipline themselves must have discipline imposed on them.

Datsun Donaghy

Bring back "Puke Football"

All this kick, catch and headbutting is spoiling the beautiful game!!!!!!!

:-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-* :-*

Datsun Donaghy

Well done Enda Murphy for taking a stand against thuggery - no doubt the guilty person will get what he deserves
- and then some (with luck)

Life Ban and a nice day out in the Courts

It'll be interesting to see how the GAA deal with this!

mannix

I applaud the man, he will get a hard time for his stand from lots of savages in kerry.The lad that decked the ref in westmeath should get a 3 year ban as should the lad in kerry.I once played with a fella in a junior club in dublin that broke a refs jaw with a punch from behind and was laughing in the dressing room after, i felt like telling him kcuf off but would have received the same from him outside a few minutes later,he was banned but still played under other members names.He was a known yoke and spent time in jail for assault in the centre of dublin on a bus driver that cut himoff in his taxi.
GAA is losing credibility in the discipline stakes and needs to appoint a panel of no nonsense men to dish out bans with no recourse for offenders.

clarshack

is it possible to be banned for life in the GAA? i was always under the impression that the total maximum ban was 2 years.

darbyo

Although we can all become a bit hysterical at times like this and start demanding action far inexcess of what is required or realistic,something has to be done. I'm not sure lifetime bans are the way to go as you couldn't enforce this, particularily in relation to spectating. I feel 2-5 year bans should be in place for serious physical interference of referees. While serious unprovoked physical assaults of match                                officials/mentors/spectators/players should carry with the playing ban a threat of legal action taken and funded by the GAA on behalf of the injured party.

Billys Boots

Quoteis it possible to be banned for life in the GAA

Hey there's an intercounty referee (yes referee) who was banned two years ago for assaulting a referee in the shower (I'm not making this up) after being sent off in a Junior football game - he's back refereeing at the highest level.  And we ask what's wrong.
My hands are stained with thistle milk ...

The Real SlimShady

Did Peter the great not beat a guy in the shower with the leg of a chair?

orangeman

Peter the Great - beating some one up with the leg of a chair in a shower ? Never - are you sure that wasn't Barrymore ?

Bensars

Agree with all the above statements.

Remember a guy up here getting a very hefty ban for headbutting a ref in a club game. Ironically the same individual is now a referee himself.( Not a very good one IMO, and often can lose control of games, but thats by the wayside)

In regards to PTG, thats an urban myth, that has been blown out of proportion.

The Real SlimShady

could well be an urban myth, i've heard it a few times and its gotten worse every time with bits added to it!

MacDanger

kn**ker, should be banned for life.

QuoteAnd life ban meaning no entry to any GAA events, stadia etc for life.

That could be difficult to enforce.

laceer

there definitely was a row in the showers after an errigal/dungannon game in oneill park but don't know if any furniture was involved!! PTG ended up with a broken jaw though