Tyrone v Dublin for a place in the aisf. Omagh

Started by rrhf, July 15, 2018, 09:18:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BennyHarp

Quote from: five points on July 17, 2018, 03:59:54 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 17, 2018, 12:44:16 PMthe Dubs have never travelled to Ulster for a championship match

They beat Derry in Clones in 2003. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/na-fianna-duo-put-wind-up-derry-in-clones-1.485012

How many of the current Dublin squad or management were involved that day?
That was never a square ball!!

longballin

Quote from: BennyHarp on July 17, 2018, 04:06:33 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 17, 2018, 12:44:16 PMthe Dubs have never travelled to Ulster for a championship match

They beat Derry in Clones in 2003. https://www.irishtimes.com/news/na-fianna-duo-put-wind-up-derry-in-clones-1.485012

you should have said this Dublin squad... of course you knew about 2003  ;)

BennyHarp

Quote from: longballin on July 17, 2018, 04:25:11 PM
Quote from: BennyHarp on July 17, 2018, 04:06:33 PM

you should have said this Dublin squad... of course you knew about 2003  ;)

It was only Derry  ;D and has no bearing on Saturday
That was never a square ball!!

redzone

Quote from: trileacman on July 17, 2018, 12:02:49 PM
Quote from: redzone on July 17, 2018, 06:45:09 AM
Quote from: trileacman on July 17, 2018, 12:32:38 AM
We're in the exact same place as last year really, I've to laugh at how the press wrote us off after Monaghan and now suddenly we're flavour of the month again. It's a joke, more precisely they're a joke. Dublin would beat us by 6-7 points if we played them in Croker. It's the closest us or any team will get to them.

We'll keep to Dublin for 50 mins, but they'll cut loose in the last 15 to win pulling up. We'll be very lucky to beat Donegal away in the Ballybofey fortress. The reality is none of the teams left would qualify easily by beating Dublin and going to Donegal and winning. That's not poor-mouthing, it's just the truth.
LOOKs like there's no point turning up. Thankfully nobody in the squad has that mentality. Every game is winnable if you play 100% to your potential.

That's the evidence before us. Watched back the match there, Jesus ros defending was pathetic. We actually played much better v Cork than we did against ros. Cork were actually very smart and very fit that day and clung to us for 45 mins. It's poor preparation for a match against Dublin's mean defence who won't give us time on the ball like ros did. It seeps into your subconscious as a forward or player that I can hold onto the ball as long as I want here and take my time to settle for a score, Dublin won't give us that time on the ball.

I watched the two games last week and the piss poor analysis is we were brilliant, Dublin were good enough and Donegal were poor. That's not the truth, Donegal were pretty good but the inexorable pressure Dublin put on their kick outs and on their possession meant their game plan folded. If you watched it properly you'd see Dublin were actually excellent, (uninspiring, predictable and cynical but in terms of game plan execution and winning they were brilliant).

So all I know is Donegal and Tyrone are at about the same level of performance and Dublin are a level ahead of them. Now take into account this weekends game. Tyrone's home record is poor, Dublin have a very good record in Omagh. Also it's looks in terms of fan numbers Tyrone will also be outnumbered on that front too. Dublin come up in the league for a game similar to this one and took the spoils. I've seen no reversal in the two teams form, styles or key personnel to suggest a different outcome in this match.
Well it looks like your mind is well and truly made up then, and your not alone.
But as I said before the players won't have that mentality( which I just can't get my head around) of they can't be beat. Last time I encountered that was in an u14 match

Fuzzman

That was quite a changed team from last year's All Ire final that Dublin put out last weekend.
We all know they have a huge talented bunch and have amazing subs to come in but looking through that squad are they really as experienced as on previous years?

Despite the news that there will most likely be more away fans than home, which if true is a disgrace and huge bonus for the Dubs, I think a lot of these young (and older) Dublin players have never really experienced a full blooded away championship game against one of their main rivals.
Fair enough Tyrone may not be a top 3 team but we are top 5 in most people's eyes and as a Tyrone fan you would like to believe that Mickey and especially Horse will have the lads psyched to the teeth that this is a HUGE opportunity to lay down a marker. To say seize the opportunity that every other county in Ireland would love to have and that is to beat the AI Champions in our own backyard and to throw everything at them. We've shown before how we can highly motivated fir a one off game and with the added ingredient of revenge for how that team made them look like kids last year chasing shadows and how they wouldn't give us our ball back.

For years true GAA men up and down the country dreamed of playing their biggest rivals like Kerry or the Dubs in their own ground in championship and not just a league game.
Look at the reaction of Kerry when they beat Tyrone in Tralee a few years back.
We need to  forget completely about the Donegal game and throw everything we have at these young Dubs as they did back in the first battle of Omagh to lay down a marker.

When you look at the Dublin squad last weekend, is it as daunting as a few years ago. McManoman still only a sub, I Gara just a battering ram who mist Dubs never rated.
Even young Mannion, despite being a very talented player, there has always been questions about his temperament and if things are going badly can he keep his head or just give up.

I hope there are a few high ball lofted in in top of Cluxton with Richie showing his strength but also brainpower to test
to see can Clucko remain as calm without his darling hill behind him. I hope our noisest fans get behind the goals for that like they often do.

Well done Benny for standing up and speaking your mind and being positive. Far too often others are like 
"Oh you shouldn't talk your team up for a huge fall or show over confidence or sickening arrogance"

It's the Irish way to see the more successful team lose and begrudge them their win. I would say most real neutrals on Sat would be delighted to see the Dubs lose and even though many hate the Tyrone style of play they would still bare it if it proved the Dubs outside their borrowed home venue are a different proposition to the comforts they have got used to.
That's all of course only relevant If this Tyrone team have the balls to peak and believe they can win, rather than their pathetic 2nd half attempt in the league.

1. Stephen Cluxton (Parnell's)

2. Michael Fitzsimons (Cuala)
7. Jonny Cooper (Na Fianna)
24. Eoin Murchan (Na Fianna)

ADVERTISEMENT

6. James McCarthy (Ballymun Kickhams)
26. Cian O'Sullivan (Kilmacud Crokes)
21. Jack McCaffrey (Clontarf)

8. Brian Fenton (Raheny)
9. Michael Darragh MacAuley (Ballyboden St Enda's)

10. Niall Scully (Templeogue Synge Street)
11. Con O'Callaghan (Cuala)
5. Brian Howard (Raheny)

13. Paul Mannion (Kilmacud Crokes)
12. Ciaran Kilkenny (Castleknock)
14. Dean Rock (Ballymun Kickhams)

Subs

18. Cormac Costello (Whitehall Colmcille) for MacAuley (46)
22. Kevin McManamon (St Judes) for Mannion (48)
20. Paul Flynn (Fingallians) for Howard (54)
4. Eric Lowndes (St Peregrine's) for McCaffrey (62)
17. Colm Basquel (Ballyboden St-Enda's) for O'Callaghan (70)
19. Darren Daly (Fingal Ravens) for Fitzsimons (75)

ONeill

Just don't concede a goal in the first 5 mins ffs.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

RedHand88

Quote from: trileacman on July 17, 2018, 11:40:40 AM
Quote from: Fuzzman on July 17, 2018, 11:28:36 AM

taximan I got on Saturday said he's driving up and sleeping in his car overnight.

I hope you called him a miserable ****.

You'd expect that from a travelling Cavan supporter, not Dublin.

RetiredRessie

Unfortunately i think the Dubs will be the louder supporters with Majority of them behind both nets. Would love to see a Tyrone win but think Dublin will beat us handy and put to bed the myth that they can only win in Croker.

trileacman

Quote from: RetiredRessie on July 18, 2018, 09:38:29 AM
Unfortunately i think the Dubs will be the louder supporters with Majority of them behind both nets. Would love to see a Tyrone win but think Dublin will beat us handy and put to bed the myth that they can only win in Croker.

I'm sorry but where'd this myth they can only win in Croker originate from? They've been regularly winning away from home in the league for years now with regular wins in McHale, Clones and Omagh this past 5 seasons. Only really Kerry and Donegal have a good home record and in those instances Dublin merely drew those matches as opposed to win them.
Fantasy Rugby World Cup Champion 2011,
Fantasy 6 Nations Champion 2014

omagh_gael

omagh_gael

As expected McCarron is out, however, we've plenty of cover back there. On the good side we've Colm available and Lee should make the bench!

Tyrone will be without defender Cathal McCarron for this Saturday's Super 8s meeting with Dublin in Omagh.

The Dromore native suffered a knee injury during the early stages of the Red Hands' 18-point win over Roscommon four days ago and manager Mickey Harte has since confirmed that he will not partake in this weekend's clash against the All-Ireland champions.

"It wouldn't look like he'll be available for this week, for sure. He's had an x-ray, which doesn't tell you an awful lot, but he has to get a scan on it, so we won't know until the scan is done," Harte told The Irish News.

"It's a knee injury, so we would be concerned about it."

However, there is good news for the Tyrone boss in that National League top-scorer Lee Brennan will return to action after having missed all of the qualifier series with a hamstring injury which he aggravated in May's Ulster championship loss to Monaghan.

Harte has also confirmed that Colm Cavanagh is available this weekend after shipping a heavy knock against the Rossies at Croke Park in what was the first ever game in the Super 8s.

Jayop

All in all that's positive with Colm starting and Lee being back on the bench. Those two are proper difference makers.

heffo

Solo_run

As soon as they step foot off the bus the Dublin players will be looking around themselves mystified by this new world they have discovered.

omagh_gael

Just watched first half of the semi from last year and skipped through the 2nd. Link here...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emriasRZaOg

Some points that jump out:

- The most obvious one was Con's goal completely knocked the stuffing out of us. It immediately put us in a vulnerable position as the full on defensive system requires you to be in front or very close behind and that cushion was perfect for the Dubs. You could see the effort to come out and meet the attacker, the support in attack and usual aggression just wasn't there.

- Our main threats were significantly neutralised throughout the game. John Small swarmed Harte and he barely got a touch. Matty was very quiet as well. Sludden probably the only player to come out well.

- Overall I think we've a better team this year. People may say we'll miss big Sean but to be brutally honest he had a terrible game last year and was virtually anonymous. Conal McCann literally didn't touch the ball before he was brought off so Hampsey will provide more aggression around the middle third. Burns is having a excellent year and will be much more solid from CHB. Astonishing to think why he didn't get a proper run out last year. McKernan and (likely) HP McGreary should make a difference in defence too when compared to McCarron and McCrory.

-  No joke, we attempted one long ball into the FF line in the whole first half last year and that was a half arsed effort by Harte into Bradley that was easily cut out. The running game that should have been there was totally absent too. Our game is based on pods of players moving with the runner but this simply didn't happen. This was further evidenced in the number of times we were easily stripped of possession. The Dub's tackling was superb, however, the usual support off the shoulder just wasn't there.

- Ritchy Donnelly and McAliskey will allow us an alternative option in the FF line. Now we won't be seeing long balls being reined down in the FF line but it would be utterly criminal not to use the long ball at least 4/5 times a half. Colm Parkinson always makes this point, in that if you're a Dublin Full back last year you were more or less sure that the early ball in wasn't going to happen. They had the easiest job in the world. Now if an odd long ball comes in it has the potential to at least keep them on their toes and make them slightly on edge.

I still think the Dubs will beat us but hoping for a better fight and (in our wildest dreams) maybe sneaking it if we have shooting accuracy close to last week and they have a stinker. I just think the Dubs have the men to keep our main threats quiet which will have a massive effect on our ability to control the game and dictate the flow.