u15 transfer question

Started by Molly Dolly, January 22, 2018, 09:25:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molly Dolly

My 13 year old has played for a club since he was 7. He is no superstar but a very fit fast and good solid player with great heart.  He also plays soccer and runs as I think at his age its important to keep activities up.   

Last year at u13 level there was no team for him so there was a combo between his and another club in the next village - so.  All good intentions aside, it didn't really gel and tbh was a disaster of a year that nearly broke his enthusiasm for Gaa. However he made the junior team in secondary school and is loving it again and they've had a good run in a competition where he got a few honourable mentions on dispatches. 

On Sat night we got a text that the combo isn't an option for this year and its another  club - 17 kms away.  The original combo is going to be back next year but still no club game potentially if even then until he makes seniors.  He has no affiliation to this club they are proposing, knows no one - and absolutely is refusing to go.

We live on the border of a county.  The parish is split by the county border but there is another team in the parish where he wants to transfer too.  There are kids he plays with in school on this team.  He also has a bit of a journey to school.  I work and he does study so isn't home till late - the proposed club adds to the journey where as the transfer would be same as home club (if it existed).  The transfer if possible would make getting to matches easier and sits within his peers in school which when you a 13 year old boys seems to be really important. 

Am I wasting my time asking for a transfer, I know the club won't entertain it as they seem to view him as a star for the future - but my own feelings are with a bit of luck he'll be in college and possibly living elsewhere by then.  What are our options.   At this stage he is on the verge of giving up club football which is a real pity and he is asking me to push to move where he can play for a club and be part of a team and not this moving around every year. 

OgraAnDun

Quote from: Molly Dolly on January 22, 2018, 09:25:44 AM
My 13 year old has played for a club since he was 7. He is no superstar but a very fit fast and good solid player with great heart.  He also plays soccer and runs as I think at his age its important to keep activities up.   

Last year at u13 level there was no team for him so there was a combo between his and another club in the next village - so.  All good intentions aside, it didn't really gel and tbh was a disaster of a year that nearly broke his enthusiasm for Gaa. However he made the junior team in secondary school and is loving it again and they've had a good run in a competition where he got a few honourable mentions on dispatches. 

On Sat night we got a text that the combo isn't an option for this year and its another  club - 17 kms away.  The original combo is going to be back next year but still no club game potentially if even then until he makes seniors.  He has no affiliation to this club they are proposing, knows no one - and absolutely is refusing to go.

We live on the border of a county.  The parish is split by the county border but there is another team in the parish where he wants to transfer too.  There are kids he plays with in school on this team.  He also has a bit of a journey to school.  I work and he does study so isn't home till late - the proposed club adds to the journey where as the transfer would be same as home club (if it existed).  The transfer if possible would make getting to matches easier and sits within his peers in school which when you a 13 year old boys seems to be really important. 

Am I wasting my time asking for a transfer, I know the club won't entertain it as they seem to view him as a star for the future - but my own feelings are with a bit of luck he'll be in college and possibly living elsewhere by then.  What are our options.   At this stage he is on the verge of giving up club football which is a real pity and he is asking me to push to move where he can play for a club and be part of a team and not this moving around every year.

I don't know the ins and outs of transfers, but if he's still playing club football by then, he'll be back at the weekends and possibly midweek to train unless the chosen university is very far away.

magpie seanie

I think transferring is the nuclear option and without knowing the details of your situation and the county bye laws I couldn't comment on how difficult one would be to obtain. My advice would be to try to avoid it at all costs. It sounds like you and more importantly you son are not happy with the way the club is running matters - maybe you and a few like minded parents of his team mates could help out in some way to try and improve things. Could ye talk to the club and see what can be done? From my experience people can accept a little criticism if there's an offer of help to provide a solution. If the team will struggle to compete perhaps a series of challenges against smaller clubs might work?

It's great he's on the school team and doing well there.

Molly Dolly

who knows what he'll be at when he is at senior level - trying to negotiate the fun teen times is enough joy in my life at the moment . . .   

I'm not a gaa person, merely the taxi driver.  We've other kids too so its not solely down to what the big guy wants.  We help out with the club and run one of their big fund raisers once a year but logistically coaching etc wouldn't be an option based on lack of knowledge etc.  The big guy plays teams sports for the team connection but having 4 different teams 4 years running isn't a sound basis for building that.  He is adamant he won't go to the proposed team but he wants to play.  The club say there are no other options

The net is getting spread so far just to get 1 team together and we are at the periphary of this that in my logical non gaa hat is saying there is no team locally why keep the kids tied to something that doesn't exist or isn't what they originally signed up too 7 years ago ...  give it up and let the kids play in a team nearer where they might have some connection (via parish) and friends.  Only really 4 kids affected locally as in born in 2004.  1 will go.  1 is shaky and two definitely won't which means the shaky 1 will follow them as they are old classmates and friends.   I am trying to thrash this out but getting no where.   The secretary was quiet curt via text as to what the options were and went further into the county which doesn't help my situ.

Is there a function where a sanction is given that allows him to play elsewhere at junior level  and if and when senior stuff comes he goes back rather then this pledge which keeps stretching the distance out . . . 

Kickham csc

There should be flexibility in the situation that you describe.

For example, my club's underage hurling team was able to bring in lads from Cargin and Moneyglass, who played football for their home club, but because hurling wasn't offered were able to play for Creggan in hurling. Same happens with Dunloy from time to time (Ballymena and Rasharkin lads)

The key question, does your club have a team for him at his age group, if not, then the GAA usually has rules that can accommodate.

The parish aspect of this is interesting, because in our case, Cargin, Moneyglass and parts of Creggan are in  Duneane parish, so that might have been the mechanism that enabled them to play for Creggan, so you might be able to play in the other county.

magpie seanie

Despite popular belief not all counties have a "parish rule"......each county has to define their own parameters for transfers.

Kickham csc is right though.....if the club are offering football at the correct age (even if it's not very satisfactory) it might prove difficult to get a release or sanction. Some sort of temporary (annual) sanction is possibly the best bet but it's a tricky one. Start with the county transfer bye-laws.

Itchy

I wouldn't over think it. Go to your new club, sign the transfer papers, it will automatically be sent to your old club and the county board. If there are no objections it will go  through. Do you think the old club will object to a 15 yr old transferring? Not that likely I would say.

Molly Dolly

itchy and in this case 13 year old playing under 15s.  They say they are providing football as its pledging them out . . . and I keep hearing that himself is a future club and county star (now that is stretching it).  Maybe they'd give it to not have to deal with me ;-) 

Where would one even ask for the transfer rules for find them.   

AGM is next Sunday. 

magpie seanie

County board secretary will have the rules or you club secretary/county board delegate.

BallyroanAbu

Is the Club you propose to transfer in your County?

magpie seanie

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on January 23, 2018, 12:04:31 PM
Is the Club you propose to transfer in your County?

Good question.....I had assumed it was and that might not be correct reading back.

Itchy

Quote from: Molly Dolly on January 22, 2018, 05:03:14 PM
itchy and in this case 13 year old playing under 15s.  They say they are providing football as its pledging them out . . . and I keep hearing that himself is a future club and county star (now that is stretching it).  Maybe they'd give it to not have to deal with me ;-) 

Where would one even ask for the transfer rules for find them.   

AGM is next Sunday.

Any club objecting to kids moving is signing their own death warrant. Get the transfer papers from your new club, put it in through your new clubs secretary and see does it get objected to.

Molly Dolly

have spoken to the incoming chair person and he is indicating in the strongest personal terms they WILL object should we look for a transfer.  Its the same parish but a different county he wants to transfer too.  Its not glory hunting, just wants to stay local and with friends.  Himself has read the messages and knows the position.  He doesn't understand the rules and thinks its very unfair (but then at 13 isn't everything).  I'm not sure what he'll do for forthcoming season, I'm saying concentrate on his athletics and stick with school GAA.  The club he wants to go too have suggested just registering with them and waiting to see if the old team object but to me that sounds like it could bring a tonne of crap down on ds's head which I'm not in favour off too.

Itchy

Quote from: Molly Dolly on January 25, 2018, 11:27:35 AM
have spoken to the incoming chair person and he is indicating in the strongest personal terms they WILL object should we look for a transfer.  Its the same parish but a different county he wants to transfer too.  Its not glory hunting, just wants to stay local and with friends.  Himself has read the messages and knows the position.  He doesn't understand the rules and thinks its very unfair (but then at 13 isn't everything).  I'm not sure what he'll do for forthcoming season, I'm saying concentrate on his athletics and stick with school GAA.  The club he wants to go too have suggested just registering with them and waiting to see if the old team object but to me that sounds like it could bring a tonne of crap down on ds's head which I'm not in favour off too.

So you have a parish which is split between two counties and within that parish there are two teams. One in county A and one in county B. Is that correct? Your son wishes to transfer from Club A to Club B. You want to do this as Club A doesn't have enough players and in amalgamating with another club in the same county a longer distance away. Just so I understand 100%.

AZOffaly

That sounds like Ballydesmond/Rathmore/Gneeveguilla/Knocknagree.