Playing Tuohy the right call?

Started by DownFanatic, October 28, 2015, 12:11:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Walter Cronc

He obviously has a deal in place with Carlton - fair played to them also.

I remember Marty Clarke was home and played in a club game and it didn't go down well at Collingwood.

I hope there was a caveat added to Conor Glass' Hawthorn contract ;)

Syferus

Quote from: Walter Cronc on October 29, 2015, 12:45:16 PM
He obviously has a deal in place with Carlton - fair played to them also.

I remember Marty Clarke was home and played in a club game and it didn't go down well at Collingwood.

I hope there was a caveat added to Conor Glass' Hawthorn contract ;)

Charlton wouldn't release him to play the Aussie Rules game for Ireland because they are shit and are starting their pre-season early. It's a wonder they let him play the club game.

rodney trotter

The second year now they didn't release him for the International Rules along with Ciaran Sheehan and Ciaran Byrne. He was brilliant in 2013.

moysider

Quote from: TheClutch on October 29, 2015, 11:45:14 AM
I know if I was the player that got dropped I'd feel sick. Professional athlete or not if he has just arrived and not been there for the majority of the season from January I would not start him. I agree with the some peoples opinions that some manager are just there for money and they justify the money they earn by how many games they win. I've been on teams in the past were a couple of fairly talented players have swanned in a week before the first league game of the season and trained once or twice and the manager has started them come the league game. The mood in the changing room and the attitude towards the manager afterwards from players who had been in line to start before the late comers arrived was awful, and it set the mood for the remainder of the season....

Sickening.

No doubt the following year there was an early push for training and usual bullshit about commitment. No doubt the lads stung the previous year learned their lesson and idled back the next or bother at all. There are better things to do in life than get messed about like that.

doodaa

If the rules are followed by all then whatever is decided at the start of the year should lead to a fairly harmonious dressing room.
If Managers start making exceptions mid season that is when people get pissed off.
If you start pissing people off eventually they leave and then where the feck is your team/ club?
So IMO parachuting in players to championship sides without prior arrangement or no excuse isn't on, long term it damages the club and along with that damages what you were trying to achieve in the first instance.....SUCCESS.

Consistency is what most players want.

ludermor

Id say a lot has to do with the type of fella the professional lad is as well. If he was a prima donna coming back im sure there would be lots of bad blood but he was one of the lads who made good and a good club man im sure there would be more good feeling
I dont remember a thread like this when Sean O'Brien togged out for his junior clubteam ;)

Jinxy

They had to drop two lads to make room for Sean O'Brien.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

vallankumous

Quote from: DownFanatic on October 28, 2015, 12:11:58 PM
http://m.hoganstand.com/Home/Details/246129?county=National

Did the manager make the right call playing Tuohy over a player who has been with the panel all year?
It's a tough call that many managers face.

Yes, without doubt.

DuffleKing

Quote from: moysider on October 29, 2015, 02:18:51 PM
I know if I was the player that got dropped I'd feel sick. Professional athlete or not if he has just arrived and not been there for the majority of the season from January I would not start him. I agree with the some peoples opinions that some manager are just there for money and they justify the money they earn by how many games they win. I've been on teams in the past were a couple of fairly talented players have swanned in a week before the first league game of the season and trained once or twice and the manager has started them come the league game. The mood in the changing room and the attitude towards the manager afterwards from players who had been in line to start before the late comers arrived was awful, and it set the mood for the remainder of the season....

Sickening.

No doubt the following year there was an early push for training and usual bullshit about commitment. No doubt the lads stung the previous year learned their lesson and idled back the next or bother at all. There are better things to do in life than get messed about like that.

How many years of unbroken service would Tuohy have given his club from 6 years of age? It's not like he's a blow in

moysider

Quote from: DuffleKing on October 29, 2015, 11:22:52 PM

Sickening.

How many years of unbroken service would Tuohy have given his club from 6 years of age? It's not like he's a blow in

Touhy is a no-brainer. He's available and legal you play him of course. If he was local you can be sure he would be a trainer.

The discussion went off on a bit of a tangent then about prima donnas arriving late in the season in clubs. I saw it as a player and had to try and deal it as a manager as well. That was what I was talking about. You re fucked if you do and fucked if you don't. You try and keep the lads that did the slog in Jan/Feb involved and try to win games with a few more talented lads that make the effort to make the journey down for games. I would not tolerate local fellas that wouldn t bother training though - no matter how talented they are. If your best players don t train and only show up a couple of weeks before championship, its a waste of time. Unless the top players drive training and buy in the rest will have no heart in it either. Utter waste of time. 

TheClutch

Quote from: moysider on October 30, 2015, 01:17:58 AM
Quote from: DuffleKing on October 29, 2015, 11:22:52 PM

Sickening.

Touhy is a no-brainer. He's available and legal you play him of course. If he was local you can be sure he would be a trainer.

The discussion went off on a bit of a tangent then about prima donnas arriving late in the season in clubs. I saw it as a player and had to try and deal it as a manager as well. That was what I was talking about. You re fucked if you do and fucked if you don't. You try and keep the lads that did the slog in Jan/Feb involved and try to win games with a few more talented lads that make the effort to make the journey down for games. I would not tolerate local fellas that wouldn t bother training though - no matter how talented they are. If your best players don t train and only show up a couple of weeks before championship, its a waste of time. Unless the top players drive training and buy in the rest will have no heart in it either. Utter waste of time.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
2017 Championship Prediction League Winner 8)