The IRISH RUGBY thread

Started by Donnellys Hollow, October 27, 2009, 05:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoof Hearted

yes !!

for a while at the start of the second half it wasnt looking good, but that wasnt a bad result
Treble 6 Nations Fantasy Rugby champion 2008, 2011 & 2012

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 15, 2009, 03:52:29 PM
QuotePocock has 12 years on Wallace and is one for the future.
While Heaslip and Ferris had good seasons last year, I'd still take Rocky over Ferris and would still be suspect on how consistent Heaslip is.
Ferris's card should be marked at this stage and watch out for second season syndrome.

Ferris is around alot longer than 1 season made his debut in 2006, back-row play is about working as a unit and experience is actually a big factor in that, Rocky is class no doubt but Heaslip is a lot more consistent and dynamic than Palu and Pocock is no George Smith.
Pocock didn't look too bad in the end  ;D and the Australian back row were comfortable winners at the breakdown.

I just didn't see how Ireland could have been classified as "clear favourites" against a talented Australian side.
Great guts to to snatch a draw in the end though!

Dinny Breen

QuotePocock didn't look too bad in the end  ;D and the Australian back row were comfortable winners at the breakdown.

Just as well there's more to back-row play than the breakdown, Pocock had a great 1st half but his link play was poor and he brought no physicality sorry he's no George Smith in my opinion and Palu is just a big lump and about as dynamic as an Irish Trade Union.

Ireland anytime they got into the 22 looked like scoring but with a poor scrum and poor play from O'Leary they struggled to get that territory.

Tight Five

Weren't commiting themselves to the breakdown, scrum was poor but line-out worked really well. POC actually had a great game and Cian Healy can be impressed with his debut

5/10

Back-row

Aussies cleaned up at the breakdown particularly in the 1st half, Ferris and Wallace carried very well, Heaslip good in the line-out put with a struggling scrum was never going to impress

Half-Backs

TOL very poor and indecisive and his passing not up to scratch. ROG did well considering and justified his selection.

5/10

Midfield

Wallace tries hard but doesn't play the 2nd 5/8 role well enough and lacks physicality, 12 is now a problem position. BOD quiet game but always pops up, class act.

Back 3

Fitz looked sharp but starved off ball, Bowe is another class act but poor game for Kearney, poor kick in the build up to the 2nd Aussie try and should have tackled the ball to help prevent it.

6/10

6.5/10

Australia should have won but Ireland seem to be evolving their game so happy with the comeback and it was first game, big plus though is the way we came back, next two selection will be interesting
#newbridgeornowhere

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 15, 2009, 05:35:17 PM
QuotePocock didn't look too bad in the end  ;D and the Australian back row were comfortable winners at the breakdown.

Just as well there's more to back-row play than the breakdown.
Aye, we're in bonus territory with Elsom's try and first half 40 metre break.
Re: Pocock, the issue was whether you'd take him over David Wallace rather than George Smith.

I'd take the Aussie back row, any day and every day.
You're more than welcome to the Irish one!  ;)

Dinny Breen

#newbridgeornowhere

Bord na Mona man

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 15, 2009, 06:04:00 PM
Feck off, I can't back down now  ;)
In fairness, if you'd mentioned the phrase "unseen work" I would have had to defer to your better judgement.   :D

Donnellys Hollow

Hard to know what to make of that match. We were outplayed for long periods and yet if it wasn't for a very soft try within the first few minutes from an unforced error we could have won. We need to work on the scrum before the SA match. Healy had a superb game in the loose but we were pushed off our own ball far too often at the set piece. The Bull was undoubtedly a bit rusty after his suspension but the lack of options in the front row is a concern.

I thought ROG had a very good game. Kicked well bar one that went out on the full. O'Leary inside him didn't have a good game. Too ponderous at the base and made some very strange decisions. He needs to build his confidence back up after his injury because at the moment he doesn't look the player he was last year. I'd have liked to see Reddan introduced earlier. Bit disappointing that we didn't see more of the bench but I suppose Deccie didn't want to risk breaking the bit of momentum we had in the last ten minutes.

The team showed great heart to draw level but we'll have to improve. Hopefully we will with another match and the few more weeks in training to build the understanding.

I didn't have a ref-radio at the match and I thought some of Kaplan's calls were curious to say the least. There seemed to be no consistency in his decisions and both teams were constantly getting pinged at the breakdown. The IRB need to tweak the laws again because some of the stuff ain't that good to watch at the moment. No way did Palu deserve to get binned either. Thought it was a fair hit myself.
There's Seán Brady going in, what dya think Seán?

screenexile

Really don't understand the hype about O'Leary. . . is it just his defensive capabilities is that why he's in there? His passing and decision making are slow and his box kicks are terrible.

I always liked Reddan as a player and don't understand why he hasn't been given more of a chance. Hopefully playing for Leinster will help propel him into the number 9 jersey for Ireland as I think he's more dynamic and creative than O'Leary and this is what we need in the bigger games! Maybe when the damage is done we can bring O'Leary in to close a game out but I would like to see Reddan get the majority of the game time.

Main Street

I was sort of half watching it until the last 25 mins caught my attention.
The Irish lads looked good  then and made it look simple enough to get over the line twice in the last 5 mins. I would have thought the Aussies would have defended their line with their lives.

Why is there so much hoofing garryowens in the game these days?  to a casual observer like me it looks awful.

mc_grens

first impressions.

We're in deep shit in the front row.
George Smith lay all over the Irish side of the ball from when he came until the end.
Any kick in loose play is only as good as the chase- we just didn't chase.
ROG got away with being as bad as he has been all season.
Paddy Wallace is not dynamic enough.

Backs can still dig us out.
On the rare occasions we get quick ball we're class.
Lineout is solid.
Nice to see Fla and Ferris back.

INDIANA

Pocock was really the only reason to watch the match in my view. Forgettable stuff but its not often you see a star being born but Pocock is the new Richie Mc Caw by the looks of it.
Ireland did the usual - happy to be underdogs but don't give us the favourites tag. Great last 20 though - at least they have bottle. But the reality is on your home patch against an inexperienced outfit you should be winning. Backrow is a major problem now. Front row will improve though.
Thought Paddy wallace did very well though. Fair play to him because I wasn't  a fan. Hard to know about 2 weeks. Either SA will raise themselves to beat us or else they are a busted flush due to tiredness. Hard to know.

johnneycool

In a few phases prior to the Elsom try, why did O'Gara make a mad dash out of the defensive line, allowing the Aussie ball carrier an easy break on the Irish line? He must have been trying to intercept a pass which never came IMO and it looked awful.

Bowe has come on leaps and bounds in the last few years, maybe trimble needs a move away from Ulster as well!

Canalman

The fawning towards O'Driscoll at the beginning of the game was OTT imo. "A National Treasure" he was called.......... come on ......The Ardagh Chalice, Book of Kells etc yes...... not a sportsman.
Great finish to the game........ hope Fitzgerald's injury is not too bad. Never good to see lads clutching their knee in agony.

lynchbhoy

Quote from: Dinny Breen on November 15, 2009, 05:35:17 PM
Just as well there's more to back-row play than the breakdown, Pocock had a great 1st half but his link play was poor and he brought no physicality sorry he's no George Smith in my opinion and Palu is just a big lump and about as dynamic as an Irish Trade Union.
Ireland anytime they got into the 22 looked like scoring but with a poor scrum and poor play from O'Leary they struggled to get that territory.
Tight Five
Weren't commiting themselves to the breakdown, scrum was poor but line-out worked really well. POC actually had a great game and Cian Healy can be impressed with his debut
5/10
Back-row
Aussies cleaned up at the breakdown particularly in the 1st half, Ferris and Wallace carried very well, Heaslip good in the line-out put with a struggling scrum was never going to impress
Half-Backs
TOL very poor and indecisive and his passing not up to scratch. ROG did well considering and justified his selection.
5/10
Midfield
Wallace tries hard but doesn't play the 2nd 5/8 role well enough and lacks physicality, 12 is now a problem position. BOD quiet game but always pops up, class act.
Back 3
Fitz looked sharp but starved off ball, Bowe is another class act but poor game for Kearney, poor kick in the build up to the 2nd Aussie try and should have tackled the ball to help prevent it.
6/10
6.5/10
Australia should have won but Ireland seem to be evolving their game so happy with the comeback and it was first game, big plus though is the way we came back, next two selection will be interesting
would agree with all of that apart from you bieng a bit hard on Kearney imo.
Thought that oleary was woeful and would much prefer to see Redden on. OGara did well and centre partner for odriscoll is a big problem. I dont rate darcy and wallace as being good enough.
It might be a bit left field here but didnt Trimble not start out as a centre?
I always thought he was discarded a little too quickly!

mc_grens

Trimbles hands are not good enough to play centre in my opinion.

D'Arcy is the best option when fit and in form.