Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pangurban

The Gael takes no prisoners, perhaps he might be an option, though his persistent negativity would probably lower morale within the squad

dodgy umpire

Quote from: Mourne Rover on April 26, 2010, 11:24:58 PM
We all hope Dan McCartan not suspended for Ballybofey, but he must be a serious doubt and we need to have other options. Brannigan has not looked the part to date, so switching Garvey into the full back line may have to be tried. Rafferty should be back but the game will probably be too soon for Howard. Hanna was only given half a match in the league at wing forward, but he could also come into the reckoning at wing back. Liam Doyle would be a huge boost, but James has reported that his progress has been slower than expected. Paul Murphy at his best would be an automatic choice, but he seems to be struggling as well. Is there a serious hope that Doyle or Murphy will be available ?
There has been some talk of Dan Gordon playing full back against Donegal (presumably to mark Murphy,) including on the Donegal v Down thread. He is said to have played well there against Louth in a challenge game, could this be a viable option? Obviously he was not sharp on sunday but come Ballybofey he should have improved and he would be very capable of countering Murphy's threat in the air
The Boys in Red and Black are back

goldenyears

Quote from: EagleLord on April 26, 2010, 11:17:09 PM
I cant get my head round the atitude of some supporters, 'the aim of this year was to get promoted, and we have done that, so the NFL final is a bonus'..

Do you honestly think that the team went out to NOT win the game? And do you honestly feel that what James says in the papers and what he says to the squad behind close doors are the same thing?? If so, then you are deluded.

There is no doubt they went out to win the final, beaten by better team on the day end of story

EagleLord

course they went out to win the game. but they werent too dissapointed about losing it.

marsbarkid

The Co.Board could go ahead and make the reserve championship draws tonight, i think the 1st round is to be played around June 6th, it would be nice to know who we r up against!!  ???

Catch the high ball

Anyone hear the Down Minor Championship draws from earlier?
GAA Board World Cup Sweepstake Winner 2010

passedit

Quote from: Catch the high ball on April 27, 2010, 09:24:34 PM

QuoteMinor Football Championship Draw
  Date : 27/04/2010 21:47

Down County Chairman Seamas Walsh, in the presence of a number of club and County Board representatives, presided over the Minor Football Championship draw tonight in the County Offices in Castlewellan.

Current champions Kilcoo can look forward to meeting Newry Bosco in their opening round game in Newry. This game is a potential banana skin for the Magpies and Newry is never an easy place to go to at the best of times.

Other ties which will be eagerly anticipated include local derbies Attical v Longstone and Loughinisland v Cill Darach.

Last year's beaten finalists St Peter's Warrenpoint must make the trip to Ballymartin to play the Lillywhites in what promises to be a close encounter whilst Burren travel to St Paul's Hollywood for their first round match.

Tá muid ag súil go mór le craobh sultmhar arís i mbliaina. Bí cinnte go dtugann tú neart tacaíochta do d'fhoireann!!

Preliminary Round
St Colman's v Newry Mitchels
Ardglass v Ballyholland

Round  1
Saul  v Glenn
St Joseph's v  RGU Downpatrick
Annaderg v Saval
Ardglass/Ballyholland v St. Mary's
Drumgath v Newry Shamrocks
An Ríocht v Clonduff
Mayobridge v St.John's
Loughinisland v Cill Darach
Bosco  v Kilcoo
St.Colman's/Mitchel's v Rostrevor
Clann na Banna v Carryduff
St Paul's v Burren
Attical  v Longstone
Drumaness v Castlewellan
Ballymartin v  St Peter's Warrenpoint
Bryansford v Bredagh
Don't Panic

cabra_harps

Quote from: passedit on April 27, 2010, 10:07:37 PM

Down County Chairman Seamas Walsh, in the presence of a number of club and County Board representatives, presided over the Minor Football Championship draw tonight in the County Offices in Castlewellan.

Current champions Kilcoo can look forward to meeting Newry Bosco in their opening round game in Newry. This game is a potential banana skin for the Magpies and Newry is never an easy place to go to at the best of times.

Other ties which will be eagerly anticipated include local derbies Attical v Longstone and Loughinisland v Cill Darach.

Last year's beaten finalists St Peter's Warrenpoint must make the trip to Ballymartin to play the Lillywhites in what promises to be a close encounter whilst Burren travel to St Paul's Hollywood for their first round match.

Tá muid ag súil go mór le craobh sultmhar arís i mbliaina. Bí cinnte go dtugann tú neart tacaíochta do d'fhoireann!!

Preliminary Round
Ardglass v Ballyholland

Round  1
Saul  v Glenn
Annaderg v Saval
An Ríocht v Clonduff
Mayobridge v St.John's
Bosco  v Kilcoo
St Paul's v Burren
Attical  v Longstone
Drumaness v Castlewellan
Bryansford v Bredagh

Who are St. Mary's??

norabeag

Quote from: cabra_harps on April 28, 2010, 11:06:31 AM
Quote from: passedit on April 27, 2010, 10:07:37 PM

Preliminary Round
Ardglass v Ballyholland

Round  1
Saul  v Glenn
Annaderg v Saval
An Ríocht v Clonduff
Mayobridge v St.John's
Bosco  v Kilcoo
St Paul's v Burren
Attical  v Longstone
Drumaness v Castlewellan
Bryansford v Bredagh

Who are St. Mary's??

Liatroim & Dromara ( amalgamation)

6th sam

Quote from: cabra_harps on April 28, 2010, 11:06:31 AM
[
Who are St. Mary's??

St. Mary's are a combination of Dromara and Liatroim-I would imagine they will be in the shake-up at minor level this year-some excellent players from both clubs.

On a seperate note,can any south down posters give feedback on their underage competitions-Are they graded A,B,C at all levels and have there been any instances of clubs failing to field,withdrawing from leagues etc.Do the leagues in South Down break for exams?

There is a worrying pattern in East Down of some clubs feeling they have to amalgamate to be competitive,and clubs either not fielding or withdrawing from the leagues.East Down usually has just A and B leagues,but I wonder whether a C league(13-a-side if necessary) provides smaller clubs with regular football against teams of comparable standard.Clubs quite rightly are reluctant to suffer heavy defeats.
Clubs have a right to amalgamate if they wish but I wonder whether the long term effect of increasing amalgamations will decrease our playing membership.

Also I wonder if alternating consecutive age groups e.g u15 week 1,3,5,7 etc and u16 week 2,4,6,8 etc,will keep more kids interested particularly younger players who may miss out on a years football.

Any thoughts?

illdecide

Lads could someone advise me when the senior & B (Reserve) fixtures are in Down as i'm looking a friendly on Sunday and i've been told Down clubs play the fixtures on a Friday night so i'd be very interested in a friendly with a team close to Lurgan (Tullylish or clan na Banna etc)
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

stpauls

Quote from: illdecide on April 28, 2010, 03:39:34 PM
Lads could someone advise me when the senior & B (Reserve) fixtures are in Down as i'm looking a friendly on Sunday and i've been told Down clubs play the fixtures on a Friday night so i'd be very interested in a friendly with a team close to Lurgan (Tullylish or clan na Banna etc)

illdecide, senior games are on friday but reserve games are on a sunday evening so i would doubt you will be able to get a friendly organised for sunday.

illdecide

Quote from: stpauls on April 28, 2010, 03:41:30 PM
Quote from: illdecide on April 28, 2010, 03:39:34 PM

illdecide, senior games are on friday but reserve games are on a sunday evening so i would doubt you will be able to get a friendly organised for sunday.

Cheers St Pauls...TBH our B team would prob beat our senior team and we would put it up to most 2nd division senior teams but i doubt very much i'll get a game at this late stage...cheers anyway.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

umpire

Catch the high ball

Longstone  1-10 1-10 Mayobridge 
Castlewellan  1-11 1-15 An Riocht   
ACFL Division 2
Annaclone  0-4 1-16 Loughinisland   
Downpatrick  0-14 2-10 Tullylish   
Saval  2-12 0-10 Warrenpoint   
ACFL Division 3   
Glasdrumman  3-17 1-6 Dundrum   
St John Bosco  1-9 1-14 Drumaness