Total Members Voted: 69

ned

Quote from: Chase on April 30, 2017, 09:54:43 AM
Quote from: ned on April 30, 2017, 12:13:09 AM
Quote from: Chase on April 29, 2017, 06:58:27 PM
Quote from: ned on April 29, 2017, 06:21:23 PM
Quote from: straightred on April 29, 2017, 02:50:48 PM
Quote from: Chase on April 29, 2017, 02:22:03 PM
The SPL may be poor but it is a remarkable achievement to have such a long unbeaten record. Saying that I still think Celtic would struggle badly with that team in the English Premier League. They could be a decent Championship side though.

this is one of those pointless debates as we can all say what we want but we'll never actually know.

My own opinion is that this team would easily hold their own around mid table EPL. Beyond that they would have access to far more funding and therefore better players so after a few transfer windows, good management etc they'd be right up their with the top teams.

These opinions are usually posted by people who watch nothing but EPL top six and CL. I'm watching Palace against Burnley at the moment and watched the Manchester derby on Thursday, This Celtic team as it is, would beat the former two. United would probably bore us to death. We have already drawn twice with City this year and have probably improved since. As you say pointless arguments by witless trolls.
Celtic would easily be one of the top teams in Europe with the funding the EPL teams get. I'll settle for us continuing to progress under BR just as we are.
I'm actually a Celtic fan and have been for years and it's just an opinion I have. Don't be  getting your knickers in a twist.
There is no way Celtic (in it's present state)would even get in the top half of the Premier League in my opinion and like I said it's just my opinion so no need to be so sensitive. No one has any way of knowing so no one is right or wrong it's just opinions. I don't appreciate being called a troll.

For a Celtic fan you appear to have forgotten our CL matches against City. Also if you feel Celtic, as is, could not beat most teams in EPL outside the top 7 or so, then you are watching a different league to me.
The bit in bold should be enough for you to heed. Why then write such a definitive statement? It grinds my gears that people continually compare Celtic to EPL or Championship when in reality it is of no relevance.
You can't say how Celtic would do in a 38 game Premier League based on two games against Man City. That's just ridiculous and it's a argument I keep hearing again and again.
It's a nonsense thing to say.

Every single team in the Premier League is better than any of the teams Celtic play week in week out in the Scottish league.
If you're getting tested every single week you are not going to be able keep the level of intensity up that say Celtic showed against Man City. They have an easy time of it in the Scottish league they wouldn't have such easy games in the Premier League. I would be shocked if they were to finish higher than 15th. I think they would do very well in the Championship and with a season or two of playing there could come up and make a big impact in the Premier League. With massive investment and with the fan base and profile they have I could even see them Top 4 after 4 or 5 years.

Yes I am a Celtic fan but maybe I'm different in that I don't see everything through green and white tinted glasses.
I like to base my opinions on what my head thinks not my heart.

I didn't suggest where we would finish in the EPL. Frankly, I don't give a flying eff. I stated a fact, we drew with City twice. I offered an opinion that we could beat most teams outside the top 7. Doesn't mean we would. We can only beat what is in front of us so not sure what relevance that has. Being in the EPL 'the best league in the universe' doesn't seem to have helped the english teams when it comes to CL.

Milltown Row2

Stupid comparison made by stupid people
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Chase

Quote from: ned on April 30, 2017, 12:50:07 PM
The SPL may be poor but it is a remarkable achievement to have such a long unbeaten record. Saying that I still think Celtic would struggle badly with that team in the English Premier League. They could be a decent Championship side though.

this is one of those pointless debates as we can all say what we want but we'll never actually know.

My own opinion is that this team would easily hold their own around mid table EPL. Beyond that they would have access to far more funding and therefore better players so after a few transfer windows, good management etc they'd be right up their with the top teams.

These opinions are usually posted by people who watch nothing but EPL top six and CL. I'm watching Palace against Burnley at the moment and watched the Manchester derby on Thursday, This Celtic team as it is, would beat the former two. United would probably bore us to death. We have already drawn twice with City this year and have probably improved since. As you say pointless arguments by witless trolls.
Celtic would easily be one of the top teams in Europe with the funding the EPL teams get. I'll settle for us continuing to progress under BR just as we are.
I'm actually a Celtic fan and have been for years and it's just an opinion I have. Don't be  getting your knickers in a twist.
There is no way Celtic (in it's present state)would even get in the top half of the Premier League in my opinion and like I said it's just my opinion so no need to be so sensitive. No one has any way of knowing so no one is right or wrong it's just opinions. I don't appreciate being called a troll.

For a Celtic fan you appear to have forgotten our CL matches against City. Also if you feel Celtic, as is, could not beat most teams in EPL outside the top 7 or so, then you are watching a different league to me.
The bit in bold should be enough for you to heed. Why then write such a definitive statement? It grinds my gears that people continually compare Celtic to EPL or Championship when in reality it is of no relevance.
You can't say how Celtic would do in a 38 game Premier League based on two games against Man City. That's just ridiculous and it's a argument I keep hearing again and again.

Every single team in the Premier League is better than any of the teams Celtic play week in week out in the Scottish league.
If you're getting tested every single week you are not going to be able keep the level of intensity up that say Celtic showed against Man City. They have an easy time of it in the Scottish league they wouldn't have such easy games in the Premier League. I would be shocked if they were to finish higher than 15th. I think they would do very well in the Championship and with a season or two of playing there could come up and make a big impact in the Premier League. With massive investment and with the fan base and profile they have I could even see them Top 4 after 4 or 5 years.

Yes I am a Celtic fan but maybe I'm different in that I don't see everything through green and white tinted glasses.

I didn't suggest where we would finish in the EPL. Frankly, I don't give a flying eff. I stated a fact, we drew with City twice. I offered an opinion that we could beat most teams outside the top 7. Doesn't mean we would. We can only beat what is in front of us so not sure what relevance that has. Being in the EPL 'the best league in the universe' doesn't seem to have helped the english teams when it comes to CL.
Ok mate. You have a chip on your shoulder. I'll leave you be.
You can have your opinion but I don't agree with it.
Chase is on the case!

straightred

Quote from: Chase on April 30, 2017, 12:57:41 PM
Quote from: ned on April 30, 2017, 12:50:07 PM

Ok mate. You have a chip on your shoulder. I'll leave you be.
You can have your opinion but I don't agree with it.

And i don't agree with you and that's why i said this is pointless. i'm not claiming they'd win the EPL (far from it) but i would have them top half.

As it happens I'm watching Man U - Swansea as I type. Are you honestly telling me that celtic couldn't compete with this dross ?

thebar

Quote from: T Fearon on April 30, 2017, 12:36:25 PM
Lavishing such unworthy praise on Brendan is equivalent to praising Jim Gavin to the hilt for winning Leinster Championships.The truth is there is nothing whatsoever exceptional about this, to the contrary,arguably Celtic should be capable of winning every single domestic game in every competition at a canter.

Let's see his transfer policy and the impact in next season's champions league.

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

illdecide

If you watch MOTD on BBC you'd think English football was good but it's pathetic and is only slightly better than north of their border. My honest opinion if Celtic were in English Premership they'd be in or around mid table. English football is so over hyped it's unreal, watch a live game excluding the top 6 and it would drive you to drink. The only way it'll ever happen if SKY TV say so but if i'm honest i don't know if i'd want Celtic going down that road as their whole spending and investment would have to change  and their ethos of being a club like no other could well change too. I'm not convinced but i also think in a few years time if the SKY money dries up there could well be a lot of clubs in England go to the wall...SKY call the shots
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

Milltown Row2

What media show Scottish football??
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Syferus

Quote from: illdecide on May 01, 2017, 12:05:19 AM
If you watch MOTD on BBC you'd think English football was good but it's pathetic and is only slightly better than north of their border. My honest opinion if Celtic were in English Premership they'd be in or around mid table. English football is so over hyped it's unreal, watch a live game excluding the top 6 and it would drive you to drink. The only way it'll ever happen if SKY TV say so but if i'm honest i don't know if i'd want Celtic going down that road as their whole spending and investment would have to change  and their ethos of being a club like no other could well change too. I'm not convinced but i also think in a few years time if the SKY money dries up there could well be a lot of clubs in England go to the wall...SKY call the shots

Not a chance with their current squad.

ONeill

You're right. Take Wilshere. Please, take him.
I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

Orior

Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

rrhf

Quote from: Syferus on May 01, 2017, 12:38:44 AM

But really is there any serious moves in Celtic to improve and take that chance.  From the outside it looks like they are happy to be the big fish in a small pond.  They dont have to improve to be successful just stay where they are.   

Syferus

Quote from: rrhf on May 01, 2017, 12:07:56 PM
Quote from: Syferus on May 01, 2017, 12:38:44 AM

But really is there any serious moves in Celtic to improve and take that chance.  From the outside it looks like they are happy to be the big fish in a small pond.  They dont have to improve to be successful just stay where they are.   

The death of Rangers robbed the SPL of it's only remaining thread of drama and intrigue. Based on this year, they're still a couple years off mounting a serious title challenge. How much better things would be if both were in the English league pyramid.

ashman

The English have done awful deeds over the world for hundreds of years .  Yet the still don't deserve to have the old firm in their domestic soccer league .

T Fearon

Celtic as a club have done all that is humanly possible now to make the best of their circumstances.They have recruited an alleged top manager on a huge salary and backed him to the limit of their means  in the transfer market.There is now no excuse.They should be able to compete in the Champions League stages and this is the real challenge facing the manager next season,after a miserable Champions League campaign this season