Joe Brolly

Started by randomtask, July 31, 2011, 05:28:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thewobbler

I get all this above.

But if sooner listen to Joe ramble for 20 minutes than hear another word from Ciaran Whelan.

Dire Ear

Quote from: BennyCake on September 11, 2019, 11:45:40 AM
Snapchap, it's like you read my mind. Totally sums up everything about Brolly.
Me also

general_lee

I liked Brolly and still do. He's a great character, even if he was a bit of a **** in the heat of the moment at times. You need people like that to stop you from falling asleep listening to the colm o'rourkes, Ciaran whelans et al

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: thewobbler on September 11, 2019, 11:46:45 AM
I get all this above.

But if sooner listen to Joe ramble for 20 minutes than hear another word from Ciaran Whelan.

Indeed.

imtommygunn

For all his faults the worst thing he did was say Gough bought into the Kerry propaganda after rightly calling Cooper to task. He questioned the integrity of Gough and overstepped the mark.

He did that too with Sean Cavanagh and McGeeny. The interrupting you could just about live with but that kind of stuff is out of order.

Taylor

So everyone can agree that the Sky analysis is far superior to anything RTE produce right down to the screen Canavan uses etc.

With Brolly possibly gone can anyone tell me the reason to tune into RTE instead of Sky now?

RTE pre game/half time/post game analysis is still rubbish when Brolly isnt in the studio so they have a major problem there.

ORourke/Spillane/Whelan all offer zero insight.

If they are clearing Brolly they may go the whole hog as bar the controversy/craic Brolly created there is no other reason to tune in

clarshack

Quote from: Taylor on September 11, 2019, 12:31:06 PM
So everyone can agree that the Sky analysis is far superior to anything RTE produce right down to the screen Canavan uses etc.

With Brolly possibly gone can anyone tell me the reason to tune into RTE instead of Sky now?

RTE pre game/half time/post game analysis is still rubbish when Brolly isnt in the studio so they have a major problem there.

If they are clearing Brolly they may go the whole hog as bar the controversy/craic Brolly created there is no other reason to tune in

There's none.

imtommygunn

There's one.

You have to pay for sky.

Taylor

Quote from: clarshack on September 11, 2019, 12:34:09 PM
Quote from: Taylor on September 11, 2019, 12:31:06 PM

There's none.

Agree.

It all well Bennett getting rid of him but the product is sub standard even when Brolly isnt on

mrdeeds

Quote from: imtommygunn on September 11, 2019, 12:38:44 PM
There's one.

You have to pay for sky.

I'm forced to pay for RTE  And talk it might increase

From the Bunker

What percentage of viewers want deep insight? Granted most on here do, because they have an above average interest in football. But there are a plethora of people out there who don't really care. They watch the game and some just want the pantomime that Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke provide.

BennyCake

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 11, 2019, 12:50:40 PM
What percentage of viewers want deep insight? Granted most on here do, because they have an above average interest in football. But there are a plethora of people out there who don't really care. They watch the game and some just want the pantomime that Spillane and O'Rourke and anyone but Brolly provide.

Fixed that

yellowcard

Quote from: From the Bunker on September 11, 2019, 12:50:40 PM
What percentage of viewers want deep insight? Granted most on here do, because they have an above average interest in football. But there are a plethora of people out there who don't really care. They watch the game and some just want the pantomime that Brolly, Spillane and O'Rourke provide.

I think that is undoubtedly true. There is a common misconception that the majority of people tune into the coverage of a match to watch fancy diagrams, multiple camera angles and to be taught tactical analysis by pundits. Maybe some do but I think it is mostly the coaching anoraks who fall into this category. There will be a lot of these coach types who will be delighted that he is gone. I think there was room for a balance somewhere in between. Brolly was capable of analysing a match when he wanted to but he just had no interest in going down that road. 

Personally speaking i think Brolly had probably run his course, he was very entertaining for a while but as with everything his shelf life may well have passed now. He had become increasingly irritable and annoying which only became even more noticeable after Michael Lyster had left. He was like the disruptive schoolboy who the sub teacher just couldn't control any more. Apart from Tomas O'Se and O'Rourke, the lack of chemistry that he had with any of the other pundits was self evident. It probably suits both RTE and Brolly himself, since he might be actually best suited to a format like a podcast where his is the only voice and people can choose to either listen to it or not. That way if you don't like him you can easily avoid him.     

GalwayBayBoy

Just seen that RTE have apparently given him the boot permanently. Tough on him. There is a balance to be made between entertainment and what can be rather dry analysis.

I'd say Spillane and O'Rourke will be looking over their shoulder nervously. McBennett seems to be slowly clearing house of the older generation of pundits.

BennyCake

Yellowcard - Eamon Mailie interviewed him one on one regarding the situation in the north, Brexit, the troubles, etc... and he was actually quite good. He raised some interesting points and observations but he wasn't competing with anyone else or stealing their airtime, which he does on TSG. He was calm and clear in his speech and no old snide remarks or bluffing and blowing.

So maybe he'd be better suited to that, because he's totally unwatchable as a GAA pundit.