China Coronavirus

Started by lurganblue, January 23, 2020, 09:52:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rois

Quote from: armaghniac on March 10, 2020, 08:44:48 PM
Quote from: Rois on March 10, 2020, 08:24:31 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 10, 2020, 08:17:41 PM

I do note that they have done 6 times as many tests in the 26 counties as the wee 6, although the population difference is only 2.5 times.

If you could do the calc showing number of nordies as proportion of people getting off Italian flights (vast majority into Dublin) you might be able to rationalise it. The tests are going to be skewed towards people who have been in contact with these returnees.

Do nordies especially visit northern Italy, while freestaters like to sky in St Moritz or Courchevel?

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 10, 2020, 08:42:40 PM
The Italians will need 20 times that amount

No doubt, but perhaps the Chinese need to keep some for themselves.
I think your point was that there were proportionately higher number of tests per head in the south, or the south should have 2.5 times more tests than the north, but they have six times more. Probably as a result of the numerous direct flights into Dublin. Even if the flights are 1:2.5, the multiplier effect would take hold.
As to your specific point, the direct Belfast to Geneva or Salzburg flights in ski season mean that more nordies ski in France or Austria 😁

armaghniac

Quote from: Rois on March 10, 2020, 09:13:01 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 10, 2020, 08:44:48 PM
Quote from: Rois on March 10, 2020, 08:24:31 PM
Quote from: armaghniac on March 10, 2020, 08:17:41 PM

I do note that they have done 6 times as many tests in the 26 counties as the wee 6, although the population difference is only 2.5 times.

If you could do the calc showing number of nordies as proportion of people getting off Italian flights (vast majority into Dublin) you might be able to rationalise it. The tests are going to be skewed towards people who have been in contact with these returnees.

Do nordies especially visit northern Italy, while freestaters like to sky in St Moritz or Courchevel?

Quote from: manfromdelmonte on March 10, 2020, 08:42:40 PM
The Italians will need 20 times that amount

No doubt, but perhaps the Chinese need to keep some for themselves.
I think your point was that there were proportionately higher number of tests per head in the south, or the south should have 2.5 times more tests than the north, but they have six times more. Probably as a result of the numerous direct flights into Dublin. Even if the flights are 1:2.5, the multiplier effect would take hold.
As to your specific point, the direct Belfast to Geneva or Salzburg flights in ski season mean that more nordies ski in France or Austria 😁

That makes sense. In addition, the south has other international links from foreign companies and more people coming and going.

Things could be worse, they are now testing people in hospitals with pneumonia and there doesn't yet seem to be a load of other cases with no connection to Italy.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Eamonnca1

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 10, 2020, 07:59:06 PM

Not in the slightest. My issue is with this man who seems to have a rather odd obsession with me because I don't really want to take to an internet message board expressing life as we know it is over. Please disregard any general point directed at him because I've just taken to prodding him now.

I'm willing to reply in a normal manner with anyone else about this - my point is that I grew up in Ulster during the troubles, without the whole sob story, unfortunately I've seen things that kind of stick with you. I've had enough of life living in fear and wondering what the next week is going to bring. This Covid 19 may well continue around for months, it may not. I just won't be taking heed to sensationalists like this guy in here.

"I grew up during the Troubles" is the strangest excuse I've heard yet for playing down the threat of this virus.

AFM

Quote from: Eamonnca1 on March 10, 2020, 09:59:42 PM
Quote from: GetOverTheBar on March 10, 2020, 07:59:06 PM

Not in the slightest. My issue is with this man who seems to have a rather odd obsession with me because I don't really want to take to an internet message board expressing life as we know it is over. Please disregard any general point directed at him because I've just taken to prodding him now.

I'm willing to reply in a normal manner with anyone else about this - my point is that I grew up in Ulster during the troubles, without the whole sob story, unfortunately I've seen things that kind of stick with you. I've had enough of life living in fear and wondering what the next week is going to bring. This Covid 19 may well continue around for months, it may not. I just won't be taking heed to sensationalists like this guy in here.

"I grew up during the Troubles" is the strangest excuse I've heard yet for playing down the threat of this virus.

The man is a sociopath couldn't give a flying one about anyone, ffs is he the only one grew up in the troubles, no doubt they didn't touch him either so he didn't give a f**k.

screenexile

Heard today the lad who played football at the weekend was in Northen Italy and got tested on his return but had no symptoms... he was told to carry on as normal!!!

Test results came back and c'est la vie!!

It's coming wash your hands and self isolate if you're told to... getting angry at lads on a GAA discussion board is probably not going to help your situation!!

Milltown Row2

Quote from: screenexile on March 10, 2020, 10:45:13 PM
Heard today the lad who played football at the weekend was in Northen Italy and got tested on his return but had no symptoms... he was told to carry on as normal!!!

Test results came back and c'est la vie!!

It's coming wash your hands and self isolate if you're told to... getting angry at lads on a GAA discussion board is probably not going to help your situation!!

No symptoms for five days, why would these test results not be given on the day?
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ed Ricketts

I thought this was a nice simple graphic to explain the need for taking responsible action over the next while. Just in case anyone out there was still insistent on being a dick.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on March 10, 2020, 11:00:59 PM

I thought this was a nice simple graphic to explain the need for taking responsible action over the next while. Just in case anyone out there was still insistent on being a dick.

Who's not taking precautions?

The amount of boarders who lose their shit to anonymous strangers is staggering
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Ed Ricketts

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 10, 2020, 11:22:34 PM

Calm down love, not every post in this thread is aimed directly at you.

As for who still isn't taking adequate precautions? A significant proportion of the population, in my observations these last few days anyway. It helps to reinforce the message that the little things we can all do matters greatly.

Sadly, as the virus establishes here it's likely only a matter of time before the 'sure there's nothing we can do about it now' trope gains traction. It's usually the next weapon in the denialist's arsenal once the 'it's not really that serious' line becomes too hot to spin.
Doc would listen to any kind of nonsense and change it for you to a kind of wisdom.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Ed Ricketts on March 10, 2020, 11:55:27 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on March 10, 2020, 11:22:34 PM

Calm down love, not every post in this thread is aimed directly at you.

As for who still isn't taking adequate precautions? A significant proportion of the population, in my observations these last few days anyway. It helps to reinforce the message that the little things we can all do matters greatly.

Sadly, as the virus establishes here it's likely only a matter of time before the 'sure there's nothing we can do about it now' trope gains traction. It's usually the next weapon in the denialist's arsenal once the 'it's not really that serious' line becomes too hot to spin.

I just asked the question.

People are flippant every day, spreading infections virus and not a Thread  was made up about it, the common flu has been killing people for years, one of the biggest killers of this sort is tuberculosis, not a thread about it and how we could stop it worldwide.

Malaria kills more but it doesn't impact on us so we forget about it, or not bother talk about, but this ? Feck we lose our shit. Will this virus wipe out more people? We don't know, but common sense and  less mass hysteria will certainly bring some calm about the place.

And another post of I hope no one in your family gets it crap! If you're of a certain age then you'll have parents that fall into that bracket, let's just hope the miss out and get a vaccine for next year sorted.

Small business are going to be wiped out. Expect another recession 

ONeill

I wanna have my kicks before the whole shithouse goes up in flames.

BennyCake

If we get a warm spell, will that increase or decrease the spread? Does this have a season like flu?

armaghniac

Quote from: ONeill on March 11, 2020, 12:17:49 AM
Face-palm.

I hope you washed your hands first.

Quote from: Captain Obvious on March 11, 2020, 12:21:32 AM
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51827356

:o

Will everyone she was in contact with self isolate for  14 days? 

Quote from: BennyCake on March 11, 2020, 12:38:27 AM
If we get a warm spell, will that increase or decrease the spread? Does this have a season like flu?

Unclear. Hopefully it does, Italy at least will have warmish weather quite soon.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B