2018 National Football League Division 4

Started by Junior Ex Laoistalk, October 14, 2017, 11:40:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallyroanAbu

Quote from: Giovanni on November 15, 2017, 10:15:28 PM
I would agree that no player should be discriminated against on the basis of his birth cert and I would be amazed if that turned out to be the case.

On the other hand, I really hope that the new management starts from the position that reputations are entirely irrelevant and if a young lad looks like he's doing better than the lad with the reputation, he's given his chance. Our best players last year included Alan Farrell and Eoin Buggie, neither of whom would have been given much credit when they came into the setup. Young lads like Evan O Carroll and Tom Shiel came into the squad under McNulty and did very well. Stephen Attride, who has become a very nice footballer, wasn't one of the big names when he came into the setup. I really hope that the best players are chosen regardless of their profile or reputation.

Well said Giovanni, a more balanced post than mine.

oneflewoverthecuckoonest

losing the coin toss for the home venue for the first round of the leinster championship adds to the difficult year ahead....wexford park now becomes a very serious test.

justinn

Venues confirmed for 2018 Leinster SFC ties
15 November 2017

O'Moore Park, Portlaoise.
O'Moore Park will play host to a Leinster SFC first round double-bill next year after the venues for a number of games were confirmed this evening.

After enjoying their best championship run in 73 years last summer, Carlow face Louth at the Laois county grounds which will also see the meeting of Offaly versus Wicklow on the same day.

In the other first round tie, Wexford have been awarded home advantage against Laois after winning a coin toss and so this clash will take place at Wexford Park.

Meanwhile, Longford will be at home in Pearse Park for their quarter-final encounter with Meath. It's a rare home draw for the midlanders in the provincial series but one that is 'subject to redevelopment work being satisfactorily completed'. If the redevelopment work at Pearse Park is not ready in time, then the game will be moved to Navan.

Dates and times for the games will be decided in due course.

Leinster SFC first round
Carlow v Louth, O'Moore Park
Offaly v Wicklow, O'Moore Park
Wexford v Laois, Innovate Wexford Park

Leinter SFC quarter-final
Longford v Meath, Pearse Par

justinn

The 2018 O'Byrne Cup draw has been made with holders Dublin being grouped alongside Offaly and Wexford.

Under the stewardship of Paul Clarke, the All-Ireland champions called on their reserves for this year's competition and ran out convincing winners when beating Louth in the final - 2-16 to 1-10.

They will have a bye in the opening round of the upcoming pre-season competition which will take on Saturday, 30 December.

2018 O'Byrne Cup draw:

Group 1
Dublin
Offaly
Wexford

Group 2
Kildare
Louth
Longford

Group 3
Meath
Carlow
Wicklow

Group 4
Westmeath
Laois

Dates: Dec 30, Jan 3, Jan 7. Semi-finals Jan 13/14. Final Jan 20/21.

Opening Fixtures: Offaly v Wexford, Louth v Longford, Wicklow v Carlow, Westmeath v Laois.

Format: Round robin with first placed team advancing to semi-finals. Westmeath and Laois play each other home and away with aggregate score deciding who tops Group 4.

Unlaoised

I heard after Donie got sent off v Port he made his mind up he was not playing for Laois in 2018

How true that is I don't know.

He is a massive loss but I think the door should be left open.

Hopefully him and John can come to some agreement .

Wexford away is now a tougher task .Even in the good times we have only won there by the skin of our teeth.

The O'Byrne cup playing Westmeath twice is a joke.
LAOIS ABÚ

Unlaoised

A bit better news is i'm hearing Portlaoise might be commiting a few more players this year!
LAOIS ABÚ

Laoiseabu

It dosent make a difference if they commit their full population of 25,000 if Donie isn't playing 😂

Keyser Söze

Quote from: Give and Go on November 15, 2017, 06:06:03 PM
Paying an admission fee into a game doesn't bestow this entitlement to abuse and insult the voluntary efforts of Gaels in all our clubs and counties.

Such an important point.
Certain people threatening for years (on here and on Laois Talk before that) to stop going to games if such and such didn't improve.
One lad said here last year that he wouldn't buy a county board ticket unless Laois County Board stepped in and banned somebody (Can't remember for the life of me what it was- but it was nonsensical).
Laughable stuff.
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

brandyandPORT

Kingston is a massive loss  :'(

Looking at where a primary scoring forward will emerge from will be intriguing.

I think Sugrue made some good choices in picking his back room team.

BallyroanAbu

Keyser you are one of the more balanced posters on this forum, however I would very much hold middle ground on this point.  The payment of an admission fee , the purchase of county board ticket or membership of a club very much grants you the right to an opinion.  Whether that opinion is the general consensus is another thing but the rule of democracy is something a lot of clubs and counties ignore and the decisions of an inner cabal (of those who supposedly know best) trumps all.   We may not always agree with what every member says but they have the right to express it regardless.  There are of course lines in the sand with regards to slander or defamation of character but if someone has an opinion I would hope they could express it.

High Fielder

Quote from: Keyser Söze on November 16, 2017, 05:29:52 PM
Quote from: Give and Go on November 15, 2017, 06:06:03 PM
Paying an admission fee into a game doesn't bestow this entitlement to abuse and insult the voluntary efforts of Gaels in all our clubs and counties.

Such an important point.
Certain people threatening for years (on here and on Laois Talk before that) to stop going to games if such and such didn't improve.
One lad said here last year that he wouldn't buy a county board ticket unless Laois County Board stepped in and banned somebody (Can't remember for the life of me what it was- but it was nonsensical).
Laughable stuff.

That was me and I didn't buy the ticket. It was over the drinking thing. Thankfully the episode taught me a valuable lesson, and that is there is no point in me spending my hard earned money on lads who are not as committed as their counterparts. Consequently, my expectations for Laois are now as low as it gets, so I won't be disappointed if I hear stories like that again. Personal choice and I don't see what there is to laugh at. I've invested plenty in Laois with little expectation and I continue to do as much as I can for my club. I will probably watch more of Laois footballers than most on here next year, but I am expecting very little. Hopefully I can be pleasantly surprised

O moore parklife

Quote from: brandyandPORT on November 16, 2017, 07:13:40 PM
Kingston is a massive loss  :'(

Looking at where a primary scoring forward will emerge from will be intriguing.

I think Sugrue made some good choices in picking his back room team.
I think paul Kingston Gary walsh and Alan farrell will step up
Besiides eoin Kearns and stack who else is in there???

Keyser Söze

Quote from: BallyroanAbu on November 16, 2017, 07:30:21 PM
Keyser you are one of the more balanced posters on this forum, however I would very much hold middle ground on this point.  The payment of an admission fee , the purchase of county board ticket or membership of a club very much grants you the right to an opinion

Of course it grants you the right to an opinion.
It doesn't grant you ownership of the players or their perceived efforts.

I've seen posts on here basically saying "I wasted my hard earned cash going to watch them useless shower, I bought a ticket to support that useless shower etc, never will I again."
This, in my opinion(!!!), is a step too far. It's not the theatre, these are not actors.
Your financial support is both crucial and appreciated.
BUT
It does not grant you the right to berate and threaten to withdraw support for amateur players who (whether it comes to fruition or not) have put months of their own free time, without financial reward, into putting on a show that you have chosen to attend for your own entertainment.

Keyser Söze

Quote from: High Fielder on November 16, 2017, 07:41:57 PM
That was me and I didn't buy the ticket. It was over the drinking thing. Thankfully the episode taught me a valuable lesson, and that is there is no point in me spending my hard earned money on lads who are not as committed as their counterparts. Consequently, my expectations for Laois are now as low as it gets, so I won't be disappointed if I hear stories like that again. Personal choice and I don't see what there is to laugh at. I've invested plenty in Laois with little expectation and I continue to do as much as I can for my club. I will probably watch more of Laois footballers than most on here next year, but I am expecting very little. Hopefully I can be pleasantly surprised

1) I'm pretty sure it was a €130 County board Ticket? They are not on sale till January AFAIK, so I'm not sure how you managed to "not buy it".

2) You are deciding that Laois players (en masse?) are not as committed as who? How are you measuring this?

3) This is exactly the type of post that I cannot fathom. Lads supporting an amateur organisation/group of players with the expectations of a premier league fan base. All my opinion of course.

High Fielder

I'm conscious that I don't want to start another sideshow with you, and in general, I respect what you're saying. I've made the choice not to commit financially to Laois because there is a lot that goes on that I disagree with. Way too much to go into in depth, but players drinking would be part of it. So I've informed the club that I won't be buying or selling the ticket for the foreseeable future. That's my choice and I'm happy enough with it. If lads want to drink and play football that's their business, but I don't believe that any county worth it's salt would tolerate that, and we did. Just my opinion and don't care who thinks if I'm right or wrong. We win nothing and we go nowhere with drinkers