Started by Mayo4Sam, June 05, 2017, 09:37:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hardy

Quote from: lenny on June 05, 2017, 05:08:05 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2017, 03:48:50 PM
So they dealt with it by do nothing?

That's not dealing with it.

He's getting 12 weeks.

An incident can only be revisited with video evidence if the officials haven't seen it. It can't be argued in this case that the officials didn't see it. They saw it, didn't think it amounted to anything worth a sanction therefore case closed. Even if he is suspended he will get off on appeal for the reasons I have given.

No. CCCC can refer incidents back to officials and ask them if, in the light of video evidence, they are happy with how they dealt with it.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: longballin on June 05, 2017, 12:44:14 PM
Quote from: yellowcard on June 05, 2017, 12:00:58 PM
Spillane was an embarrassment last night.

For telling the truth?

Has Spillane commented on the Kerry player who failed a drugs test yet?

lenny

Quote from: Hardy on June 05, 2017, 05:10:59 PM
Quote from: lenny on June 05, 2017, 05:08:05 PM
Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2017, 03:48:50 PM
So they dealt with it by do nothing?

That's not dealing with it.

He's getting 12 weeks.

An incident can only be revisited with video evidence if the officials haven't seen it. It can't be argued in this case that the officials didn't see it. They saw it, didn't think it amounted to anything worth a sanction therefore case closed. Even if he is suspended he will get off on appeal for the reasons I have given.

No. CCCC can refer incidents back to officials and ask them if, in the light of video evidence, they are happy with how they dealt with it.

Yes that is true. How will it look if brannigan now says that the ref should have sent connolly off. It was an incident involving the linesman, he saw and felt the hand on his shoulder clearly. If he'd felt there was a need for sanctions he'd have said immediately. It's not like an incident he didn't see clearly or his view was obstructed. If this incident leads to a suspension it will clearly be overturned on appeal.

weareros

Ah a one game ban is enough, if even that. There's too much of a "now I got you you son of a bitch" culture in the GAA using video footage and animated GIFs, often out of context, to get players suspended for nonsense stuff. If someone is trying to break someone's leg or jaw I'd understand it but not the case here, just a bit of finger pointing really. We should want the best players competing over the Summer and not suspended for 3 months.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Seamus on June 05, 2017, 02:52:57 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 05, 2017, 10:39:14 AM
Quote from: longballin on June 05, 2017, 10:29:49 AM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 05, 2017, 10:14:06 AM
It would be very harsh for Connolly to serve a ban for that. It was a nothing incident, if it was any other Dublin player bar McMahon there would be absolutely nothing made of it. Spillane's calls for a ban are absolutely embarrassing and pathetic but what else would you expect from a Kerry man.

The rule is very clear. Spillane told the truth. Is a pity as he didn't push him too hard but GAA can't run around nailing junior club players and counties like Antrim but let high profile players do what they like.

You have a one-dimensional brain

That's Colm Cooper lifting the referees hand up. Is that not minor physical interference with a match official?

Nobody ever talks about the dark side to Gooch though, the yapping and whining at referees, the diving and exaggerating of contact. You're not allowed say anything bad about him without fear of national uproar over having the temerity to suggest he's anything other than how mainstream commentators portray him.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: weareros on June 05, 2017, 05:21:02 PM
Ah a one game ban is enough, if even that. There's too much of a "now I got you you son of a bitch" culture in the GAA using video footage and animated GIFs, often out of context, to get players suspended for nonsense stuff. If someone is trying to break someone's leg or jaw I'd understand it but not the case here, just a bit of finger pointing really. We should want the best players competing over the Summer and not suspended for 3 months.

Agreed.

It this was any other Dublin player other than Connolly involved on Saturday, there would be absolutely nothing about this, his history goes before him.

Utterly idiotic by Connolly and he should be receiving a right ear bashing from his management over the stupidity of it but it doesn't warrant a 12 week suspension.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2017, 05:23:32 PM
Quote from: weareros on June 05, 2017, 05:21:02 PM

What do we do with the rule & sanction then? Scrap it?

This is cut & dry. He's gone for 12 weeks.

It would be something if this rule was regularly and unilaterally enforced, instead it will probably be implemented with there's a bit of a media clamour and because it's Connolly that's why the hysteria is there.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: hardstation on June 05, 2017, 05:27:41 PM
Does it not be enforced? Do players get away with pushing officials?

They shouldn't.

I've seen players put there hands on match officials in the past and get away with it and without commentary too. If that had been Kilkenny, Brogan, McCaffrey or O'Sullivan yesterday it would not be commented on. It's only being commented on because it's Diarmuid Connolly and call me cynical but Pat Spillane, no more than Kevin McStay two years ago used his punditry position to kickstart an agenda yesterday.

lenny

They shouldn't.

The linesman obviously didn't feel it was a push, otherwise he would've brought it to the refs attention. As I said this incident has been already dealt with by the officials. It's not as if he's going to watch it again and suddenly say "oh connolly placed his hand on my shoulder there". He felt it and saw it at the time, if there was to be any sanction it should have been given at that time.

seafoid

I'm glad nobody from Tyrone is involved
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

mrdeeds

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on June 05, 2017, 05:33:37 PM

They shouldn't.

I've seen players put there hands on match officials in the past and get away with it and without commentary too. If that had been Kilkenny, Brogan, McCaffrey or O'Sullivan yesterday it would not be commented on. It's only being commented on because it's Diarmuid Connolly and call me cynical but Pat Spillane, no more than Kevin McStay two years ago used his punditry position to kickstart an agenda yesterday.

Those players wouldn't have done it. Plus they haven't being cleared in dubious circumstances before.

Are you trying to say it's just a coincidence it's always the same player?

Jinxy

He physically pushes him backwards.
If somebody walked up to you and did that you'd get ready to start swinging or start running.
If you were any use you'd be playing.

manfromdelmonte

if you did that to a Garda its assault

From the Bunker

27th of August is 12 weeks if he did get 12 Weeks. He'd be back to play the Ulster Champions in the AI semi final. Happy days!

Avondhu star

It's very simple. If Connolly gets away then it is open season on officials. The Tipp lad, McGeeney etc will wonder where did they go wrong.
Connolly looked like a drunk being holdback by his mates outside the pub
Lee Harvey Oswald , your country needs you