From the Bunker

Quote from: Itchy on January 07, 2018, 10:40:54 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 07, 2018, 03:01:15 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 07, 2018, 02:50:32 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 06, 2018, 04:12:01 PM
Quote from: caprea on January 06, 2018, 03:26:40 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 06, 2018, 03:09:54 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on January 06, 2018, 02:04:58 PM
I have no issue with a certain tax band of say 15-20% for all inter-county lads. The player's grant would have to be taken off the table if it came in mind. That would be key. Then that money from the Govt could be used in other aspects of the GAA. It would sit better with me tbh than lads getting money for being a county player.
That is worse in my mind. Lads are getting money in their account for being a county player. The tax break way means they are keeping more of what they earn.

If you look at the amount of money the big matches bring to Dublin over the summer. If you look at the fact most villages have a defacto community centre in the form of a GAA clubhouse then why not?

NB
I would want the player's grant gone if that came in.

Playing for your county should not be about the money you can make from it and that is what it say.

Intercounty players have to make a lot of sacrifices but not really any more than any amateur sportsman. That they get preferential treatment does not sit well with me at all. I think it would be more apt for them to be taxed on their earnings, those lads with the sponsored cars should be paying tax on them, if you had it in a job it'd be taxed as a BIK. This myth that intercounty players, particularly with the big counties, are not well looked after is a bunch of nonsense.

It isn't, it's just a recognition of the value they have to the economy.

If GAA county games stopped it wouldn't just be a GAA issue it would be a national government issue as it would damage businesses and hence harm the economy.

Good man, you managed to contradict yourself there in a few words.

If it's not about earning money, it shouldn't be about earning money and that's exactly what tax breaks for players is about.  When the free state has such huge social issues in health and housing then it really does baffle the minfd that they are calling for lads in their early-mid 20s with free cars, university scolarships, no-show jobs, loads of untaxed earnings and freebies to get even more tax breaks.

What about the value club players bring to the economy or volunteers who ensure that games go ahead, what about the value the people who give up their own time free of charge to make sure underage teams and competitions can run their course, what about their value to the economy? The GAA would not exist without these people, neither would grassroots in other sports like football etc.

Why don't they evict working class families out of their homes and give them free houses while they're at it?

Tax breaks are about incentives to areas that can improve the economy. Typically done if their is a return on investment. I've personally no propen with this.

How does giving intercounty players tax breaks boost the economy?

More players stay playing, better standard, bigger crowds, more money spent by supporters and by tv companies and advertisers, more tax taken in. Alternative money spent on something else, possibly not irish.

Do you believe that? I don't get this subsidising a cash rich organisation such as the GAA! They already took a big lump of money from the Tax payer to complete Croke Park as well as Berties idea to subsidise the Dublin coaching structure.

Then you have the Scenario of a Player from Waterford who are out of the Championship on the 17th of June to Derry in front of 1, 067! Not much revenue generated there. Nine games in 5 months - serious revenue there from the National League Division 4 campaign!

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Lar Naparka on January 07, 2018, 10:49:41 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 06, 2018, 10:25:42 PM
Quote from: caprea on January 06, 2018, 09:51:38 PM
Be realistic, you can't offer a tax break for every volunteer, there are too many and the system would be abused.

If tax breaks were only of interest to the elite players they wouldn't get them. The reason they could is because it is in the interest of the government to have a strong GAA intercounty game because it generates millions to the bottom line of various different businesses around the country.

I explained it and gave examples, I can't draw you a picture, you don't want it explained, you just want to rant.

What you "explained" is pie in the sky stuff.

There is zero need to offer tax breaks. It's elitism, these lads with their no-show jobs, sponsored cars, sponsorship deals and endorsements already make enough out of their status as intercounty fooballers. They don't need further tax breaks but it's in line with the way the game is going, professionals in all but name. I'd imagine guys like Bernard Brogan, O'Shea and Joe Canning make more in a year than any professional League of Ireland player and probably as much as some rugby internationals.

You keep rabbitting on about it generating millions, you completely overstate the revenue the GAA makes for the economy, it probably drains more out of the state than it generates. How many times does Croke Park fill up a year? 5/6 times tops. You might get Thurles full once a year and Clones full once a year and that's really about the height of it.

The GAA are the benefactors of this, not the state.
What a monumental load of shite!
Who are the lads with the no-show jobs, sponsorship deals and endorsements?
How many intercounty players get any, never mind all, of these?  You can imagine what you like but your imagination is a bit overworked to put it mildly.
What Brogan, Canning, O'Shea etc. may get is not coming from the GAA or the government . They deliver bang for their bucks for their sponsors and they wouldn't be getting anything if the sponsors weren't profiting from the arrangement.
Ten of the Mayo panel live in Dublin; some work and others are at college. A round trip three times a week to Ballyhaunis or wherever the squad may be training will come to close on 1,000 km a week.
That involves waiting until work or lectures are finished, piling three or four into a car, booting down for training and arriving back at maybe three in the morning and then having to be bright-eyed and bushy tailed for the following day's work/study.
Is that the glamorous lifestyle you say they enjoy?
How the hell do you know what any Irish professional soccer player is earning? "Any" be a small words but a helluva big word in meaning. Just how many Gaelic players earn more than "any" of their soccer counterparts?
Probably as much as some rugby internationals, sez you. Where did you get the "probably" from?
So you think Gaelic intercounty players are part of an elite group and they can shag off if they are not prepared to play as you want them to? According to you, they can all clear off and there will be plenty more to take their places if they do.
Where will they come from? Is it a case of the next in line taking over and then getting the same abuse from you and others who think intercounty players live a life of luxury .
Jaysus, I've just made up my mind about a unification referendum, if there ever is one.
Keep yer shite north of the border, where it belongs.  ;D

To borrow your phrase, what a monumental load of shit.

These lads do not deliver bang for their buck, they don't pay any tax on their free cars and freebies. If you got a brand new Audi A5 at work you would have your taxable salary increased on the basis of the value of that car. These guys don't pay tax on that, they get handed massive freebies and endorsements that are not taxed. Why are they exempt from this? They have made a choice to pursue a hobby, they are making an awful lot of money out of this hobby, they are not paying any tax on earnings that would be taxable for the common man. And now we have a blueshirt yokel down in Kerry telling us that these lads pursuing their hobby need even more tax breaks?

From what I gather half the Mayo team all have free cars - Keegan, Diarmuid and Cillian O'Connor, Aidan O'Shea, Andy Moran, Stephen Coen are those that I understand have benefited from sponsored cars.

I think the majority of Dublin players have received sponsored cars from Subaru. I know a Mayo man who says that Allergan in Wesport employ 4/5 Mayo players who are hardly ever at work. They'll show their face for a few hours each week and that's all it requires.

If you have any sort of profile in the GAA and play for one of the top counties there is no way you won't have a brand new free car to be driving around in sponsored by your local garage. If you check out those players social media accounts they'll be plugging all the car garages who are giving them their free cars and all the other shops where they get their freebies. Kitted out in designer clothes free of charge etc.

These guys do very well out of the game, they do not need more tax breaks, it actually needs to go the other way, Revenue should be clamping down heavily on GAA players and their undeclared earnings and benefits. They won't though, the GAA has too much political clout for this to happen.

At the end of the day, it's a choice, the same as most people are confronted with in life, pursue your professional endeavors and sacrifice your hobby or pursue your hobby and make sacrifices to your professional endeavors. I don't see why intercounty players should be granted special exemptions when a lot of them are probably cheating the ordinary tax payer as it is.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: From the Bunker on January 07, 2018, 11:08:34 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 07, 2018, 10:40:54 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 07, 2018, 03:01:15 PM
Quote from: Itchy on January 07, 2018, 02:50:32 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 06, 2018, 04:12:01 PM
Quote from: caprea on January 06, 2018, 03:26:40 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 06, 2018, 03:09:54 PM
Quote from: Captain Scarlet on January 06, 2018, 02:04:58 PM
I have no issue with a certain tax band of say 15-20% for all inter-county lads. The player's grant would have to be taken off the table if it came in mind. That would be key. Then that money from the Govt could be used in other aspects of the GAA. It would sit better with me tbh than lads getting money for being a county player.
That is worse in my mind. Lads are getting money in their account for being a county player. The tax break way means they are keeping more of what they earn.

If you look at the amount of money the big matches bring to Dublin over the summer. If you look at the fact most villages have a defacto community centre in the form of a GAA clubhouse then why not?

NB
I would want the player's grant gone if that came in.

Playing for your county should not be about the money you can make from it and that is what it say.

Intercounty players have to make a lot of sacrifices but not really any more than any amateur sportsman. That they get preferential treatment does not sit well with me at all. I think it would be more apt for them to be taxed on their earnings, those lads with the sponsored cars should be paying tax on them, if you had it in a job it'd be taxed as a BIK. This myth that intercounty players, particularly with the big counties, are not well looked after is a bunch of nonsense.

It isn't, it's just a recognition of the value they have to the economy.

If GAA county games stopped it wouldn't just be a GAA issue it would be a national government issue as it would damage businesses and hence harm the economy.

Good man, you managed to contradict yourself there in a few words.

If it's not about earning money, it shouldn't be about earning money and that's exactly what tax breaks for players is about.  When the free state has such huge social issues in health and housing then it really does baffle the minfd that they are calling for lads in their early-mid 20s with free cars, university scolarships, no-show jobs, loads of untaxed earnings and freebies to get even more tax breaks.

What about the value club players bring to the economy or volunteers who ensure that games go ahead, what about the value the people who give up their own time free of charge to make sure underage teams and competitions can run their course, what about their value to the economy? The GAA would not exist without these people, neither would grassroots in other sports like football etc.

Why don't they evict working class families out of their homes and give them free houses while they're at it?

Tax breaks are about incentives to areas that can improve the economy. Typically done if their is a return on investment. I've personally no propen with this.

How does giving intercounty players tax breaks boost the economy?

More players stay playing, better standard, bigger crowds, more money spent by supporters and by tv companies and advertisers, more tax taken in. Alternative money spent on something else, possibly not irish.

Do you believe that? I don't get this subsidising a cash rich organisation such as the GAA! They already took a big lump of money from the Tax payer to complete Croke Park as well as Berties idea to subsidise the Dublin coaching structure.

Then you have the Scenario of a Player from Waterford who are out of the Championship on the 17th of June to Derry in front of 1, 067! Not much revenue generated there. Nine games in 5 months - serious revenue there from the National League Division 4 campaign!

Precisely, the premise that the GAA generates a lot of revenue for the economy is laughable when you look at how much the GAA retain of that money for themselves and then the millions upon millions they extract from the state every year. €56m of sports grants were handed out in 2017, in the 26 counties, 18 of the highest sports grants went to GAA clubs. In Meath alone, €1.4m went to GAA clubs. I haven't seen any figure relating to how much of the sports grants went to each sport but I could say you could ball park the GAA as getting around €30m of them given those stats.

Contrary to any myth, Association Football is still the most popular sport in the Free State on the basis of registered players and no of clubs but it doesn't seem to get anywhere near the same funding that the GAA does. An awful lot of football teams play on municipal pitches in comparison to GAA clubs which usually have their own grounds and pitches. Municipal pitches should be the way to go forward as after all these are local community sporting clubs with lots of people devoting their time free of charge in order to give something back to the community.

magpie seanie

This is getting hot and a little off topic but my tuppence worth.....

1. The "grants" or "additional expenses" or whatever angle of the fudge you want to take are a disgrace. They clearly breach GAA rules on being amateur for a start. Secondly, the supposed cultural and heritage benefits - clearly every volunteer in the GAA contributes to this so singling out elite players - who are looked after pretty well by the association and certainly benefit in their personal lives from their profiles as intercounty players - is grossly inappropriate. There are many other aspects of Irish culture and heritage that are ignored for similar grants, traditional music, the Irish language etc. It's completely wrong. I was there in Sligo the day this Trojan horse was welcomed into the Association and I mark it as the worst day in GAA history.

2. As above, tax breaks for elite GAA players as the original article suggests would again be wrong. The same reasons apply - a lack of equity across the board. I'd be more inclined to give tax breaks to folk who go out after work helping the homeless or sick/old. Trouble is if you get a picture with them no one will retweet it.

3. Bombers observances on the crooks and liars that have run the Republic since the foundation of the State are very difficult to argue. To be fair, I'd say it was more incompetence up to the 60's/70's but a healthy does of corruption and self serving since then. We refuse to break the cycle and hence we have huge and worsening inequality in our society.

Thanks.

Itchy

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 08, 2018, 08:50:56 AM

1. The "grants" or "additional expenses" or whatever angle of the fudge you want to take are a disgrace. They clearly breach GAA rules on being amateur for a start. Secondly, the supposed cultural and heritage benefits - clearly every volunteer in the GAA contributes to this so singling out elite players - who are looked after pretty well by the association and certainly benefit in their personal lives from their profiles as intercounty players - is grossly inappropriate. There are many other aspects of Irish culture and heritage that are ignored for similar grants, traditional music, the Irish language etc. It's completely wrong. I was there in Sligo the day this Trojan horse was welcomed into the Association and I mark it as the worst day in GAA history.

2. As above, tax breaks for elite GAA players as the original article suggests would again be wrong. The same reasons apply - a lack of equity across the board. I'd be more inclined to give tax breaks to folk who go out after work helping the homeless or sick/old. Trouble is if you get a picture with them no one will retweet it.

3. Bombers observances on the crooks and liars that have run the Republic since the foundation of the State are very difficult to argue. To be fair, I'd say it was more incompetence up to the 60's/70's but a healthy does of corruption and self serving since then. We refuse to break the cycle and hence we have huge and worsening inequality in our society.

Thanks.

They are neither of these things. This is an agreement between the government and the players. It is a tax incentive meaning you get some tax relief if you are classed as a high performance athlete. The same will apply to amateur runners, high jumpers, boxers etc. You will need to have another job to benefit as you must be paying taxes to get relief on them. I see no issue with the idea in general. These tax incentives exist in all walks of life - buy a house in rural ireland, mortgage relief etc etc.

I see someone earlier having a moan about the government helping the GAA with Croke park. What the government invested in that they got back 10 fold since in concerts, people coming into the city and revenue generated. Its a great example of how it should work.  Really don't understand all the negativity.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Itchy on January 08, 2018, 03:27:46 PM

Thanks.

They are neither of these things. This is an agreement between the government and the players. It is a tax incentive meaning you get some tax relief if you are classed as a high performance athlete. The same will apply to amateur runners, high jumpers, boxers etc. You will need to have another job to benefit as you must be paying taxes to get relief on them. I see no issue with the idea in general. These tax incentives exist in all walks of life - buy a house in rural ireland, mortgage relief etc etc.

I see someone earlier having a moan about the government helping the GAA with Croke park. What the government invested in that they got back 10 fold since in concerts, people coming into the city and revenue generated. Its a great example of how it should work.  Really don't understand all the negativity.

Those tax incentives you list exist for all people.

The ones being put forward now will only exist for a select group of people who already benefit hugely from their profile as GAA players and don't pay any tax on much of their earnings and benefits. That is where the problem lies and why this stinks to the high heavens.

Itchy

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 08, 2018, 03:33:30 PM

Thanks.

The ones being put forward now will only exist for a select group of people who already benefit hugely from their profile as GAA players and don't pay any tax on much of their earnings and benefits. That is where the problem lies and why this stinks to the high heavens.

I'd really love to know who these GAA players are that are benefiting to the levels you suggest and paying no tax. The lads I know work ordinary jobs, drive their own cars and the most they get is some training gear and a meal after training/matches. I would wager that is the vast majority of them. This is not only for GAA players either it is for all sports people at a certain level.

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Itchy on January 08, 2018, 04:04:17 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 08, 2018, 03:33:30 PM

Thanks.

I'd really love to know who these GAA players are that are benefiting to the levels you suggest and paying no tax. The lads I know work ordinary jobs, drive their own cars and the most they get is some training gear and a meal after training/matches. I would wager that is the vast majority of them. This is not only for GAA players either it is for all sports people at a certain level.

Look at all the perks the likes of the Dublin and Mayo teams have. How many pies has Joe Canning his fingers in. Free cars etc.

At the end of the day, these people have choices like any man or woman has, some people sacrifice their hours free of charge to train underage teams. Intercounty players do quite well out of their profile as intercounty players, they can be set up with handy jobs, flexible hours, they can get sponsorship and endorsements, mileage expenses, player holidays, player grants and other benefits.

What does a volunteer who could give up 8/10 hrs of his week in aiding his club get? Usually zip, so it begs the questions why do intercounty players deserve even more breaks when they already get enough. They make a choice, many people have to pack in their hobbies for their work and families. Apparently not only should GAA players not have to, on top of all the benefits and incentives they already receive, they should get more. That stinks.

magpie seanie

Thanks.

I'm sorry to say this but you clearly don't understand how the Sports Council grants work or what they are. They're a handout for playing intercounty football or hurling and the amount is based on how far your team progresses in the championship.

Premier Emperor

Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 08, 2018, 04:12:47 PM
Look at all the perks the likes of the Dublin and Mayo teams have. How many pies has Joe Canning his fingers in. Free cars etc.
At least Joe managed to lay off the pies in recent years.

Itchy

Quote from: magpie seanie on January 08, 2018, 04:18:29 PM

Thanks.

I'm sorry to say this but you clearly don't understand how the Sports Council grants work or what they are. They're a handout for playing intercounty football or hurling and the amount is based on how far your team progresses in the championship.

I am referring to tax incentives for amateur sports people as mentioned in recent media speculation. Not to sports council grants

Il Bomber Destro

Quote from: Itchy on January 08, 2018, 06:46:26 PM
Quote from: magpie seanie on January 08, 2018, 04:18:29 PM

Thanks.

I am referring to tax incentives for amateur sports people as mentioned in recent media speculation. Not to sports council grants

Thanks for clarifying that the people who will benefit from these tax breaks also benefit from a whole array of other financial benefits from pursuing their hobby.

seafoid

Quote from: Premier Emperor on January 08, 2018, 05:22:47 PM
Quote from: Il Bomber Destro on January 08, 2018, 04:12:47 PM
At least Joe managed to lay off the pies in recent years.
He had 3 Tipp lads throwing themselves at him in the last minute of the semi last year.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

From the Bunker

Thanks.

The government invested in Croke Park! Did they get Shares? from what i remember Croke Park received a series of government grants worth around €108m in total!

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM