Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candyman

Quote from: thewanderer on June 08, 2011, 10:38:44 AM
big lower division derby match tonight in armagh. some bragging rights in joes next weekend depending on the result. ;)

The 'Saran are the bet of the week ;-)

illdecide

Clans reserves beat Og's tonight...any other results?

Is it me or has the board went to the dogs recently? Where has all the posters went?, we're almost half way through the season and there's hardly been a post about a game :-\
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

winsamsoon

Yes it's went to the dogs alright a few deflecting to orchard county but there used to be better craic when pog was talking the mulah lol and the lads were handing out grief. The football talk wasn't bad either
I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

lurganblue

Quote from: illdecide on June 08, 2011, 10:24:21 PM

Is it me or has the board went to the dogs recently? Where has all the posters went?, we're almost half way through the season and there's hardly been a post about a game :-\

There definately isn't a buzz about the club football this year on the board. Maybe it'll liven up come championship time

gaapunter

Quote from: illdecide on June 08, 2011, 10:24:21 PM

I hear the clans keeper rolled back the years any truth in this

illdecide

Yes the 40 year old (stand in keeper ;)) rolled back the years alright last night for the Reserves, he done well but FFS don't tell him that.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

winsamsoon

I never forget a face but in your case I will make an exception.

thewanderer

was that the slim boy with the baggy shorts, lucky the ogs had a true b team out otherwise it would have been interesting to see the big man diving against some decent forwards. ps he can still give out ;)

TacadoirArdMhacha

ACL Division 1: St Patrick's 1-6 Maghery 1-8

St Pat's squandered an opportunity to leap to the head of the Division 1 table on Wednesday night when the recent good run of results ended at home to Maghery. The match began promisingly for Cullyhanna when Paudie McCreesh's quick reactions allowed him to get a shot away which sailed over the bar for the opening point. With five minutes gone, Kyle McEvoy displayed good strength to gain possession and kick a fine point to put his side 2 clear. In a half which proved to be somewhat devoid of quality, Maghery halved the deficit 12 minutes in through a pointed free. Midway through the half, a magnificent Ciaran Nugent tackle robbed a Maghery attacker bearing down on goal however the North Armagh men regrouped to kick an equalising point. Maghery achieved a measure of dominance in the second quarter however were unable to capitalise with scores as the game entered a long scoreless lull. In first half injury time the sides finally regained their shooting boots with Maghery punishing a defensive error to kick a point before Kyle McEvoy equalised matters with a late pointed free. After a fairly poor first half, the sides were level at the break with 0-3 apiece.

St Pat's commenced the second half in splendid fashion with a superb fist passing move involving Eugene Casey, Ciaran Nugent and Kieran Hoey which culminated in a fantastic long range point by Pearse Casey. A Maghery free soon levelled matters before the visitors moved ahead on 12 minutes when lax marking allowed them a point. As the game ebbed and flowed, a direct ball in from Barry McConville was cleared only as far as Rory O'Neill who popped over an equalising point. On 23 minutes, a seemingly crucial blow was struck when Pearce Casey won the ball well at midfield before kicking to Tony Donnelly who flicked the ball in the direction of Eugene Casey. Casey exchanged passes with Kieran Hoey before firing a shot goalwards. The Maghery keeper could only parry the ball away and Rory O'Neill bundled it in to the net for a St Pat's goal. Three points clear with 7 minutes to play, Cullyhanna looked dominant however they contrived to grasp defeat from the jaws of victory by conceding a goal almost instantaneously. With Maghery jubilant following their goal, they added two points to seize a decisive late lead. The deficit was reduced to the minimum when brilliantly placed pass from Paudie McCreesh found Tony Donnelly. Donnelly transferred to the onrushing Ciaran Nugent who kicked a fine score. Try as they might, St Pat's could not fashion another score and an excellent point from Maghery late on put the match beyond Cullyhanna's reach. Final score: St Patrick's 1-6 Maghery 1-8.

This was a very average performance from a Cullyhanna teamwho never really produced their best form at any stage. While the result could have gone either way, St Pat's can have few complaints about being on the losing side. Best on the night for the home team was wing-back Ciaran Nugent while Pearce Casey and substitute Rory O'Neill also had good games.

Starting XV: C O'Neill; S O'Neill, S Reel, B Savage; Eoin McArdle, P McCreesh (0-1), C Nugent (0-1); Eamon McArdle, P Casey (0-1); K Hoey, E Casey, A Mackin; K McEvoy (0-2), S McKeever, T Donnelly. Subs Used: B McConville, D McArdle, R O'Neill (1-1), S Lennon
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

ogshead

Quote from: thewanderer on June 09, 2011, 03:54:11 PM
was that the slim boy with the baggy shorts, lucky the ogs had a true b team out otherwise it would have been interesting to see the big man diving against some decent forwards. ps he can still give out ;)

You should get yourself registered on armaghgaa.net wanderer. You would have a field day on the wind up with some of the characters there. Shane O'Neills, Carrickcruppin, and the Grange are all good targets as they seem to have plenty of members registered and always commenting on something!! ;D

lurganblue

Thank f**k he didn't see much action is right! Although he would tell ya he made two great saves.

TacadoirArdMhacha

ACL Division 1: St Patrick's 2-8 Clan na Gael 0-6

Sunday's fixture against Clan na Gael provided the Senior side with an early opportunity to bounce back from Wednesday's disappointment and St Patrick's did so in style as they mastered the wet conditions to register a comfortable victory. Returning Niall McShane signalled his intentions in the opening minute with a magnificent diving block but it was Clan na Gael who opened the scoring with an early pointed free. However that lead was not to last long as two minutes into the match, Niall McShane initiated a pacey Cullyhanna attacking move which involved Tony Donnelly who held up possession well before passing the ball out to Kieran Hoey. Hoey released Paudie McCreesh who was marauding forward from defence. McCreesh cut in along the end line before expertly finding Tony Donnelly who fired to the net to hand his side an early advantage. A good Clan na Gael point on 5 minutes reduced the deficit to a point before St Pat's registered their first minor score of the game when a great crossfield ball by Barry McConville allowed Kieran Hoey to kick a point. A pointed free by Eugene Casey added to the lead, then on 11 minutes a Kyle McEvoy pass found the onrushing Barry McConville who kicked a fine score.

St Pat's were almost totally dominant at this stage, defending with great tenacity and gaining the upper hand at midfield. 8 minutes before the break, a Pearse Casey flick at midfield initiated a good attacking move which culminated in a close range free which was converted by Eugene Casey. A dropped ball in defence allowed Clan na Gael to register their first score for almost 20 minutes but St Pat's responded in style with a Kieran Hoey chipped point. The half concluded with an excellent Clan na Gael point to leave the visitors trailing at half-time on a scoreline of 0-4 to 1-6.

Cullyhanna were full value for their half-time lead in a half which was marred by the difficult conditions. St Pat's adapted the better and indeed should probably have been further ahead at the break had it not been for the final pass often going astray at the crucial moment.

The second half began in great style for St Pat's when midfielder Barry McConville kicked a magnificent point from the left hand sideline to put his side 6 points to the good. The conditions began to get the better of the sides in the third quarter with Clan na Gael pressing to reduce the deficit but being repelled by a mixture of good defending and poor handling. Midway through the half, Clan na Gael threatened a resurgence with a brace of pointed frees but with 14 minutes remaining, the challenge of the Lurgan men was ended when a well placed quick free from Shane McKeever found Kieran Hoey in space. Hoey was unceremoniously hauled to the ground leaving the referee with no option but to award St Pat's a penalty. Shane McKeever fired to the top corner of the net from 12 metres to hand his side a decisive 7 point advantage. The game petered out in the final quarter with the only score coming from a sweeping St Pat's move which was begun in defence by Tony Donnelly, involved Barry McConville on a couple of occasions, before Donnelly finished what he had started by kicking what was to be the final point of the match. The match finished with Cullyhanna running out comfortable winners on a scoreline of St Patrick's 2-8 Clan na Gael 0-6.

Despite the victory, this was not by any means a performance of true quality however the adverse weather conditions were always likely to have an impact on the standard of football. While the Clan na Gael challenge was not the strongest, St Pat's can only beat what is put in front of them and they did so with relative ease. The half-back line of Eoin McArdle, Paudie McCreesh and the returning Niall McShane were the launchpad for the success while Barry McConville had an excellent game around the middle of the field.

Starting XV: C O'Neill; S Lennon, S Reel, B Savage; Eoin McArdle, P McCreesh, N McShane; B McConville (0-2), P Casey; K Hoey (0-2), E Casey (0-2), A Mackin; S McKeever (1-0), T Donnelly (1-1), K McEvoy (0-1). Subs Used: C Nugent, G McCooey, Eamon McArdle
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

bennydorano

Quote from: ogshead on June 12, 2011, 12:50:22 AM

You should get yourself registered on armaghgaa.net wanderer. You would have a field day on the wind up with some of the characters there. Shane O'Neills, Carrickcruppin, and the Grange are all good targets as they seem to have plenty of members registered and always commenting on something!! ;D
I've been pretty much assuming for a longtime that he is Sliothar, convinced of it in fact :)

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

Milltown Row2

Quote from: Minder on June 12, 2011, 06:00:41 PM
Well done Armagh hurlers.

Fantastic result, the progression of Armagh hurling has been great to see. They will be serious underdogs against Antrim but they were also today.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea