Armagh Club football & hurling

Started by holylandsniper, November 09, 2006, 10:44:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Throw ball

Best of luck to all Armagh teams this weekend. Let's hope the referees have stormers too.

fitzroyalty

Clans U21s beat Cross 0-11 to 1-7 tonight at the Athletic Grounds. Entertaining game in slippy conditions which Clans led from start to finish, with a few scares inbetween.

Semi-finals are Ballymacnab v Maghery and Clans v Cullyhanna

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: fitzroyalty on November 15, 2011, 09:49:56 PM
Clans U21s beat Cross 0-11 to 1-7 tonight at the Athletic Grounds. Entertaining game in slippy conditions which Clans led from start to finish, with a few scares inbetween.

Congratulations to Clans. Double-header in Athletic Grounds on Sunday? Were the fixtures announced at the match tonight?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

fitzroyalty

Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 15, 2011, 11:32:32 PM

Congratulations to Clans. Double-header in Athletic Grounds on Sunday? Were the fixtures announced at the match tonight?
The PA wasn't on so there was no mention, though someone did say to me 11.30 on Sunday. Not sure how reliable that is.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: fitzroyalty on November 16, 2011, 07:47:01 AM
Quote from: TacadoirArdMhacha on November 15, 2011, 11:32:32 PM

The PA wasn't on so there was no mention, though someone did say to me 11.30 on Sunday. Not sure how reliable that is.

I'd say that's the most likely anyway.

Armagh CĂșchulainns

The athletic grounds has the Ulster Junior Hurling Final Replay Burt v Creggan, which is due to be followed by Burren v Latton senior semi final on sunday
Its all about the Hurling.

armaghniac

QuoteThe athletic grounds has the Ulster Junior Hurling Final Replay Burt v Creggan, which is due to be followed by Burren v Latton senior semi final on sunday

You might see a few Cross' folk at the second game.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

brokencrossbar1

Quote from: armaghniac on November 16, 2011, 10:08:17 PM
QuoteThe athletic grounds has the Ulster Junior Hurling Final Replay Burt v Creggan, which is due to be followed by Burren v Latton senior semi final on sunday

You might not!

crossfire

Quote from: armaghniac on November 16, 2011, 10:08:17 PM

We are upper Creggan. ;)

armaghniac

QuoteWe are upper Creggan.

Creggan Superior as they say in Latin, as distinct from Creggan Inferior.

Anyhow I'll be a cross man if Burren don't win, as I put a few pound on them to reach the final. The better they play the easier they will be to lay off.  ;)
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

thewanderer

st pats v clans on the best pitch surface in armagh for this time of the year PEARSE OG PARK at 11.30am on sunday. hope you's lads are on ur best behaviour lol

crossfire

Quote from: thewanderer on November 18, 2011, 04:36:13 PM
st pats v clans on the best pitch surface in armagh for this time of the year PEARSE OG PARK at 11.30am on sunday. hope you's lads are on ur best behaviour lol

They always are. ;)

TacadoirArdMhacha

Under 21 Championship Semi-final: St Patrick's 2-16 Clan na Gael 1-12 AET

If last week's victory over Harps thanks to a late goal was exciting, then even greater superlatives are needed to describe this thrilling and enthralling match played in good conditions at Pearse Ogs Park on Sunday morning. Although the game was to develop into an epic encounter, it began very much with a whimper for a Cullyhanna side who struggled to settle in the early stages and indeed throughout the first half. A long range Clan na Gael pointed free opened the scoring after 6 minutes although this score was matched by St Pat's two minutes later when Conor Nugent pointed after a foul on Colm Hoey. However this was to be Cullyhanna's solitary score in the opening 28 minutes of the match as Clan na Gael began to dominate, managing five unanswered points to register a commanding advantage. St Pat's finally managed their second point two minutes before the break when Aidan Nugent reacted well to retrieve a ball heading wide before recycling to Rory O'Neill who fired over the bar. St Pat's had the opportunity to narrow the half-time gap to just three when Colm Hoey was hauled to the ground at the end of an inspirational 30 yard run but unfortunately the resultant free dropped short to leave the half-time score - Clan na Gael 0-6 St Patrick's 0-2. In fairness, the score at the break was a reasonable reflection of a first half which was dominated by a more experienced Clan na Gael team as St Patrick's struggled to retain possession in the forward line and found scoring opportunities difficult to come by.

It was a generally accepted wisdom at half-time that St Pat's needed a good start to the second period but that appeared to be eluding them as Clans managed the first point of the half and a number of scoreable opportunities for Cullyhanna went astray. Nine minutes into the half Conor Nugent pointed a free to reduce the deficit to four. Cullyhanna needed a change of emphasis and this came from Gareth Mackin who moved from midfield to the edge of the square. This shrewd tactical switch soon paid dividends as a high hopeful ball from Colm Hoey was won on the edge of the square by Mackin who passed to Conor Nugent. Despite severe pressure, Conor Nugent managed to squeeze the ball to the net for a much needed goal which brought Cullyhanna right back into the match. Soon after, St Pat's were level as Cathal McGlade intercepted a Clan na Gael kick out before playing a ball forward to Conor Nugent who flicked on to Gareth Mackin who kicked a point. At this stage, St Pat's had the momentum and were playing with great amounts of confidence. The Cullyhanna men took the lead for the first time with fifteen minutes to go when Conor Nugent attempted a shot from an outrageous angle. No doubt most in the ground would have understandably believed a point to be impossible from his location so close to the touchline but young Nugent produced a magnificent effort with the outside of his foot to send the ball sailing over the bar.

The St Pat's lead was not to last long however with Clan na Gael equalising a minute later thanks to a pointed free. With 11 minutes left, St Pat's led again when a quick free from Tony Donnelly allowed Colm Hoey to point. Colm Hoey extended his side's advantage two minutes later as he profited from an Aidan Nugent pass after a great catch at midfield to kick a fine score. Although St Pat's led by two points heading into the latter stages, Clan na Gael were far from finished and dug in to register a brace of points, one from a free, which brought the sides level again. With 29 minutes played, Clan na Gael were awarded a free just within shooting range which looked like it could hand the Lurgan men victory. However the free dropped short and suddenly St Pat's were on the counter-attack. Aidan Nugent found Rory O'Neill who kicked over what appeared to the winning point. As was expected Clan na Gael attacked in droves attempting to fashion an equalising score but were repelled on numerous occasions. Darren Mackin looked to have made a matching winning tackle on one occasion yet the game carried on. St Pat's did have an opportunity to secure victory with another point but unfortunately the ball was kicked into the goalkeeper's hands when a wide ball may have ended the match. At the time, most onlookers presumed that the final whistle was imminent yet Clan na Gael were permitted to launch a further attack. A full three and a half minutes into injury time, Clan na Gael were awarded a very debateable free in front of goal following what appeared to be a fair challenge for the ball. The kick was converted and the whistle blown for full-time to ensure that extra-time would be required.

If the St Pat's side were affected by the disappointment of the final stages of normal time, they certainly did not let it show, making a perfect start to extra time with a Gareth Mackin point after he reacted quickest to a breaking ball in attack. Tony Donnelly increased the lead to two with a good score and then, 6 minutes into extra time, Gareth Mackin broke the ball expertly in the penalty area which allowed Conor Nugent to collect and tap over a point. Although it seemed that St Pat's were finally pulling away, suddenly Clan na Gael found a way back into the match, reacting quickest to the rebound when a shot hit the crossbar to register a seemingly vital equalising goal.  There were no further scores in the first half of extra time which ended with the side level on 1-11 apiece.

It took less than a minute of the second half for St Pat's to regain their lead as Cathal McGlade produced a lung-bursting run before kicking a superb score from distance. As the match ebbed and flowed, it took a magnificent diving block from Eoin McArdle to prevent a Clan na Gael goal. St Pat's edged further into the lead as Conor Nugent profited from a Rory O'Neill pass to fist a point but predictably Clan na Gael fought back with a pointed free. As this classic encounter neared its conclusion, the defining moment of this magnificent struggle arrived when a long ball from Micky Murray was gathered well in front of goal by Rory O'Neill. O'Neill turned his marker with intentions only for the net and, although possession of the ball appeared to have been forfeited, he retained his composure and calmly stroked the loose ball into the net to send the Cullyhanna support into raptures. Although Clan na Gael had shown great spirit throughout the match, their resolve was finally broken as Aidan Nugent tagged on two vital points in the minutes following the goal to ensure his side's progress. A now rampant St Pat's side dominated the closing stages with a Gareth Mackin point two minutes from time putting seven points between the sides. The final whistle was met with great joy by all of Cullyhanna as St Pat's triumphed on a scoreline of St Patrick's 2-16 Clan na Gael 1-12

This was utterly absorbing encounter and was surely as enjoyable a contest as has been seen on the playing fields of Armagh in 2011. Both sides played their part in what was a thoroughly enjoyable game of football. Having made such a mundane start, Cullyhanna's transformation in the final 20 minutes of the second half and throughout extra time was remarkable. This may be a young side but it is a team of great character, skill and fitness and crucially a sense of belief instilled in them by an excellent management team. This team have focussed not on the long list of players unavailable but rather on their own abilities and have reaped the benefits of doing so. The real challenge however lies not in making a final but in going on to win it and despite the heroics of the past fortnight, there is no doubt that the most difficult match lies ahead. The team as a whole performed superbly with Micky Murray and Eoin McArdle magnificent in defence. Gareth Mackin made a superb contribution when placed on the edge of the square, often causing havoc in the Clan na Gael defence while Rory O'Neill continued his very useful habit of registering vital scores at vital times. Cathal McGlade was superb in the second half while the man of the match was probably Colm Hoey who was immense throughout, torturing the Clan na Gael side with his excellent positional play and heroic bursts from defence, not to mention his scoring ability from half-back. We understand that the under 21 Championship final will take place on the weekend of 3rd or 4th December but members should check the local press for confirmed details.

Starting XV: Deaglan McArdle; Ciaran McCooey, Darren Mackin, Micky Murray; Colm Hoey (0-2), Eoin McArdle, Neil Donnelly; Pearse Casey, Gareth Mackin (0-3); Rory O'Neill (1-2), Tony Donnelly (0-1), Kevin Hoey; Cathal McGlade (0-1), Aidan Nugent (0-2), Conor Nugent (1-5) Sub Used: Owen Carragher

QUB GAA Research

Hi Everyone,

I am a final year student at QUB, and as part of my course I am required to undertake a group piece of research.
We have chosen to do this on the GAA, and the different reasons on player drop-our rates post age 18 between rural and urban areas.

We would be very greatfull if you could take the time to fill out the survey below (it will literally only take 2 minutes).

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/Q8FYCHK

We've got some great feedback so far, and I think the users on this message board can add valuable contributions to the study.
Please feel free to comment/make sussestions on our thread (below) or on the survey about the topic.

http://gaaboard.com/board/index.php?topic=20675.msg1048613#new

Thanks Very much!
Go raibh mile maith agat