Ulster Senior Football Club Championship 2010

Started by drici, January 14, 2010, 11:32:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KickHerDead

I think whoever play cross in the next round will make it very hard for them.  Im not just saying this as a derry man, but if Coleraine do come through it might be just what the doctor ordered to beat cross, very fit, and as a few teams will testify in Derry, they dont give two hoots about tradition!  Although i do agree that tradition stands you in good stead this tme of year but only if the opposition allow it to.

thewanderer

Quote from: KickHerDead on November 02, 2010, 09:54:17 AM
I think whoever play cross in the next round will make it very hard for them.  Im not just saying this as a derry man, but if Coleraine do come through it might be just what the doctor ordered to beat cross, very fit, and as a few teams will testify in Derry, they dont give two hoots about tradition!  Although i do agree that tradition stands you in good stead this tme of year but only if the opposition allow it to.
setting a hyped derry team up again. time will tell

whiskeysteve

Quote from: thewanderer on November 02, 2010, 10:11:11 AM
Quote from: KickHerDead on November 02, 2010, 09:54:17 AM
setting a hyped derry team up again. time will tell

hyped 'again' by who? expectations are modest enough actually, not helped by a league semi annihilation. I hope there isn't going to be accusations of 'derry hype' if burren win by a few!
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

Bogball XV

Quote from: Trout on November 01, 2010, 09:27:32 PM
Quote from: Bogball XV on November 01, 2010, 08:58:07 PM
Quote from: fitzroyalty on November 01, 2010, 06:56:52 PM
Heard one of their players was in Bot on Wed night. Ag ól.
disgraceful, imagine an amateur player daring to go to a nightclub (of sorts), and it only 4 days before a game.

I he is talking about Kevin McGoat it was a lot more than last Wednesday. He was flat out. That's why he didn't start.
maybe not the best management decision in hindsight, obviously not the best decision by the player either, but unless he was missing training did it have to be made into such an issue?

Banana Man

I see St Galls have launched a complaint about a cross player shouldering their water carrier from behind and want the cross bys to identify the culprit

good luck with that, imagine trying to get crossmaglen to 'grass up' a player  :D

Milltown Row2

None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

Captain Black

Sell high after Cross demolition
01 Nov 2010, by Kevin Egan

It would be easy to look at Sunday's win for Crossmaglen Rangers over St Galls and wonder have they ever been away. Three Ulster titles in a row from 2006 to 2008 to crown their incredible run of success over the past fifteen years seemed like a world away last October when the famous black and amber clad men failed to come out of Armagh, but they came back with a bang at the weekend and dethroned the reigning Ulster and All Ireland champions in some style.

Crossmaglen's physicality and power was simply unstoppable  and the decision of Tony McEntee to return to the fold looks like a very good one now as more medals look to be all but in the post.

All that said, Crossmaglen Rangers had a very good day but their opponents lacked sharpness, which was always a danger after five weeks without a championship match. Motivation would not have been difficult for the Cross management team as being installed as underdogs on their home soil will certainly have raised the ire of the players, but the tables will turn now for the semi final stages.

Whether it's Burren or Coleraine who make the trip to Armagh for the Ulster semi final, they will be match sharp, playing with nothing to lose and could prove very dangerous. If Cross do fail to win the Ulster title, they are much more likely to slip up here than in a potential final against either Naomh Conaill or Coalisland. For that reason, Burren at 10/1 looks overpriced. While due deference must be paid to the outstanding record Derry clubs have in Ulster, including first time winners like Loup in 2003, Burren have a better balanced team than Coleraine and should be favoured more heavily for this tie. Just as Crossmaglen did on Sunday, Burren will benefit from playing championship football more recently and their competitive defence and balanced attack is ideal for taking on Cross.

Coleraine should give Burren plenty to think about, but from a Burren point of view it's an ideal range finder before taking on the market leaders. At 10/1, they are perhaps the only likely contenders left in an Ulster championship that is a lot less imposing than in other years.

A 2pt bet on Burren is recommended at 10/1, though anyone who felt like covering their stake with a 3pt bet on Cross might not be too far off the mark either.

http://starbets.ie/author/kevin-egan

Armaghgeddon

Quote from: Banana Man on November 02, 2010, 12:20:37 PM
I see St Galls have launched a complaint about a cross player shouldering their water carrier from behind and want the cross bys to identify the culprit

good luck with that, imagine trying to get crossmaglen to 'grass up' a player  :D

Even if they did point out the player, nothing will come of it.

Milltown Row2

I'd be embarrassed first and foremost if i was hit from behind and didn't do something about it there and then. Even more so now if i did it officially.

Haven't heard if this is true yet, What side did it happen on? I know Cross had a madman (bottle carrier) torturing the linesman on the side i was on the whole match.
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

whiskeysteve

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 02, 2010, 02:18:23 PM
I'd be embarrassed first and foremost if i was hit from behind and didn't do something about it there and then. Even more so now if i did it officially.

Haven't heard if this is true yet, What side did it happen on? I know Cross had a madman (bottle carrier) torturing the linesman on the side i was on the whole match.

St. Gall's lodge complaint after attack on vice-chairman
02 November 2010

St. Gall's have made an official complaint to the Ulster Council after their vice-chairman was allegedly felled from behind during the first half of last Sunday's Ulster club championship defeat by Crossmaglen.

Harry Bradley, who was acting as a water carrier, was shouldered to the ground at Crossmaglen's Oliver Plunkett Park seconds after the Armagh champions were awarded a first half penalty, which Oisin McConville converted.

The 44-year-old revealed that he was hit in the same area he suffered a collapsed lung and fractured ribs as he made a guest appearance during a centenary match for St. Gall's against Castlewellan earlier this year.

"Your man hit me in the exact same spot and I was dazed, slightly concussed, had difficulty breathing for a wee bit after it," he explained.

"I think it was more the shock. Mark McCrory, our team doctor, saw me at half-time to make sure I was okay."

St. Gall's chairman Paul Flanagan said the "onus is on Crossmaglen" to identify the player who allegedly struck his fellow club officer.

"We're making a complaint to the Ulster Council, but the onus is on Crossmaglen," he said.

"It's terrible what happened. We can accept that we were beaten on the pitch, but there is no place in Gaelic games for this type of action," added Flanagan, who insisted that the alleged assault was "totally unprovoked".

http://www.hoganstand.com/ArticleForm.aspx?ID=137924
Somewhere, somehow, someone's going to pay: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPhISgw3I2w

tonesfirstandlast

I couldn't understand that this incident wasn't highlighted by the media before today and how it took St. Galls to bring it up. It happened in full view of the stand and was completely uncalled for. The linesman on that side was also aware that it happened. Crossmaglen are notorious for having too many officials running along the side line and on the field of play. Their assistant manager was never of the field of play on Sunday and caused more than one incident. Remember a few years back Joe Kernan coming on the field of play in an ulster club final with my own club, causing a melee which we were blamed for which always seems to be trhe case with Crossmaglen.

TacadoirArdMhacha

Quote from: tonesfirstandlast on November 02, 2010, 02:38:41 PM
I couldn't understand that this incident wasn't highlighted by the media before today and how it took St. Galls to bring it up. It happened in full view of the stand and was completely uncalled for. The linesman on that side was also aware that it happened. Crossmaglen are notorious for having too many officials running along the side line and on the field of play. Their assistant manager was never of the field of play on Sunday and caused more than one incident. Remember a few years back Joe Kernan coming on the field of play in an ulster club final with my own club, causing a melee which we were blamed for which always seems to be trhe case with Crossmaglen.

Who is that by the way?
As I dream about movies they won't make of me when I'm dead

Milltown Row2

Harry did have an awful injury a while back, no luck really. Will be slagging him on Friday night. ;D

Milltown Row2

Disillusioned, you really are a WUM. The statement does not say if it was a player or an official. I also didn't realise you had to have a fitness test to perform water carrying duties, as the duties are very dangerous with the chance of getting struck from behind.

Knowing Harry well, he just probably feels aggrieved no action was taken at the time by the linesman.

Applesisapples

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on November 02, 2010, 03:16:41 PM
Disillusioned, you really are a WUM. The statement does not say if it was a player or an official. I also didn't realise you had to have a fitness test to perform water carrying duties, as the duties are very dangerous with the chance of getting struck from behind.

Knowing Harry well, he just probably feels aggrieved no action was taken at the time by the linesman.
I see CJ has lambasted the ref, followed by a onesided view of proceedings from Brendan Crossan, in todays IN. Crossan only seemed to see culprits in Black and Amber.