Tyrone County Football and Hurling

Started by Fear ón Srath Bán, April 01, 2007, 05:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: Angelo on February 14, 2020, 09:17:30 AM
It's a story that will rumble on until we get an definitive answer, similar to McShane.

None of us really know and speculation will be rife.

I'm looking at it objectively.

- He clearly misses home, I think he misses gaelic football and misses playing for Tyrone.
- He's had 5 years out in Australia, he'd be reasonably well set up financially. He has probably enough money in the bank now to go back to Eglish and buy or build a house for himself and he's only 23. His profile in gaelic football will see him well looked after.
- I think the timing of it is striking, you don't want an important player going 4 weeks before the season starts in a professional sport. Missing the entire pre season sets you back a long way, particularly in a pro game
- There's a bit of a buzz back around Tyrone now with McShane returning and the speculation re McKenna. I'm sure Mickey Harte will be doing everything he possibly can to keep him here and I think he'll use that buzz to try and tap into McKenna's head.
- His contract with Essedon is not an issue, it's only an issue if he breaks it and goes to play with another AFL side. Plenty of Irish lads break their contract and return home when they get homesick or realise the game is not for them
- The big issue is McKenna clearly is not enjoying it over there, despite the money, weather, pro lifestlye

I'm very hopeful he could be home for good. He has options here, he'll be well looked after with a job or UUJ will be rolling out the red carpet for him if he decides to stay. Again, it's just speculation but it's my read on matters.

The AFL preseason is notoriously long, he started pre season, pre Xmas. He was home at Xmas too. These guys are different level - they are obsessed with body fat levels/skinfolds/blood analysis...A week off would do him limited harm, I'm sure the Aussies get a bit of a break anyway, they just aren't flying 24 hours away. McKenna will do most damage when he's home steamed in the Moy.

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 14, 2020, 09:36:48 AM
Quote from: Angelo on February 14, 2020, 09:17:30 AM
It's a story that will rumble on until we get an definitive answer, similar to McShane.

None of us really know and speculation will be rife.

I'm looking at it objectively.

- He clearly misses home, I think he misses gaelic football and misses playing for Tyrone.
- He's had 5 years out in Australia, he'd be reasonably well set up financially. He has probably enough money in the bank now to go back to Eglish and buy or build a house for himself and he's only 23. His profile in gaelic football will see him well looked after.
- I think the timing of it is striking, you don't want an important player going 4 weeks before the season starts in a professional sport. Missing the entire pre season sets you back a long way, particularly in a pro game
- There's a bit of a buzz back around Tyrone now with McShane returning and the speculation re McKenna. I'm sure Mickey Harte will be doing everything he possibly can to keep him here and I think he'll use that buzz to try and tap into McKenna's head.
- His contract with Essedon is not an issue, it's only an issue if he breaks it and goes to play with another AFL side. Plenty of Irish lads break their contract and return home when they get homesick or realise the game is not for them
- The big issue is McKenna clearly is not enjoying it over there, despite the money, weather, pro lifestlye

I'm very hopeful he could be home for good. He has options here, he'll be well looked after with a job or UUJ will be rolling out the red carpet for him if he decides to stay. Again, it's just speculation but it's my read on matters.

The AFL preseason is notoriously long, he started pre season, pre Xmas. He was home at Xmas too. These guys are different level - they are obsessed with body fat levels/skinfolds/blood analysis...A week off would do him limited harm, I'm sure the Aussies get a bit of a break anyway, they just aren't flying 24 hours away. McKenna will do most damage when he's home steamed in the Moy.

That's even more pressing so, that he will hardly have had any pre-season in a very long pre-season.

He's had 5 years of homesickness and he doesn't seem any more content. We've all had friends or family like this, it doesn't go away and unlike a lot of people who have to emigrate due to employment or social issues - McKenna can come back at any time with a good bit of money in the bank and people climbing over themselves to set him up with a good career.

I think there is a very good chance he'll stay/
GAA FUNDING CHEATS CHEAT US ALL

Pearse Blue

Quare silly **** to walk away from 100 grand for playing football. He stays if you ask me, at least until the contract is up

WT4E

Average AFL salary is nearly 200k STG - so would it be safe to say McKenna is on at least 150k and then with sponsorship and other bits of endorsements etc. he could be up to 200k - assuming after tax 140k in bank per year. another 5 or 6 years of that would be tempting for anyone - with it only likely to increase if avoided injuries.

Hes been away from a young age which is probably the hardest bit I'd say but if he has a year at home he could realise what hes missing in be back in the AFL in the near future.

Also are we sure he'll like the setup with Tyrone if he returns lets not forget he had two brothers who had a pretty messy breakup with Mickey who went to the papers about the incident - surely he'll be well warned about trusting Mickey within his own household. If Mickey is courting McKenna - he would need to realise Mickey will do whats best for Mickey and not whats best for Conor.

Would be class to see him star for Tyrone but he really needs to think about it as I would never like to see a lad give up on the opportunity to set himself up for life particularly when Tyrone don't seem to be making alot of in roads on another All Ireland at least in the current set up.

GetOverTheBar

Quote from: WT4E on February 14, 2020, 10:32:10 AM
Average AFL salary is nearly 200k STG - so would it be safe to say McKenna is on at least 150k and then with sponsorship and other bits of endorsements etc. he could be up to 200k - assuming after tax 140k in bank per year. another 5 or 6 years of that would be tempting for anyone - with it only likely to increase if avoided injuries.

Hes been away from a young age which is probably the hardest bit I'd say but if he has a year at home he could realise what hes missing in be back in the AFL in the near future.

Also are we sure he'll like the setup with Tyrone if he returns lets not forget he had two brothers who had a pretty messy breakup with Mickey who went to the papers about the incident - surely he'll be well warned about trusting Mickey within his own household. If Mickey is courting McKenna - he would need to realise Mickey will do whats best for Mickey and not whats best for Conor.

Would be class to see him star for Tyrone but he really needs to think about it as I would never like to see a lad give up on the opportunity to set himself up for life particularly when Tyrone don't seem to be making alot of in roads on another All Ireland at least in the current set up.

Important.

Angelo

Quote from: GetOverTheBar on February 14, 2020, 10:38:40 AM

Important.

Neither of his brothers were good enough which was the reason they didn't make it. A lot of players like R McKenna, P Hughes, C McGinley, Danny McBride etc who would have all been close enough in age and getting reasonable opportunities at the time suddenly found themselves on the fringes when the U21 side of 2015 began to break through. Some players left on good terms, others didn't but the bottom line remains that both of McKenna's brothers probably weren't good enough for the level we were aspiring to.

Also was it not Shay McGuigan who went to the papers? Can't recall either of the McKennas speaking out at the time.

Redhand Santa

Quote from: Pearse Blue on February 14, 2020, 10:05:03 AM
Quare silly **** to walk away from 100 grand for playing football. He stays if you ask me, at least until the contract is up

It's probably more than that so very hard to walk away from. But if he really isn't happy out there then it's hard to know what to do. If someone offered you big money to work away from your family/friends etc for next 7 years and told you that you wouldn't be happy would you do it anyway? To me money is important but certainly not everything.

It's not as if he's been out a few months and isn't enjoying it. He might be better taking a year out coming home and getting it out of his system. Would still likely be welcomed back next year if he has a change of heart. Clarke went home then back and McKenna is at an age where its bound to be an option. If he wants to stay at home hopefully he is looked after in terms of education/job.

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: JimStynes on February 14, 2020, 08:02:23 AM
What a load of shite. AFL is an incredibly physical game, Gaelic football doesn't compare in that regard. Completely different game and different fitness required. Gaa would be quicker and more twisting and turning. AFL games regularly last over 100 mins and the ground is massive. It's a much more lung busting run type sport. They cover crazy kilometres throughout games. The skills levels would be much higher in GAA as well. I could see McKenna playing CHB or somewhere like that now. Even midfield as he will be extremely fit and used to getting up and down the ground.

AFL players average running distance is 13k (Just done research on google them on distances posted by the teams), the same for intercounty game is averge 13k but intercounty is done in less time...
AFL is an incredibly physical game - Obv it is im not doubting that but so is Gaa, McKenna will be likened to Caolan Mooney, same build and speed! Some say Mooney didn't make but he played 2 season with Collingwood who where one of the top teams in the AFL

WT4E

Quote from: Angelo on February 14, 2020, 10:41:56 AM

Important.

Neither of his brothers were good enough which was the reason they didn't make it. A lot of players like R McKenna, P Hughes, C McGinley, Danny McBride etc who would have all been close enough in age and getting reasonable opportunities at the time suddenly found themselves on the fringes when the U21 side of 2015 began to break through. Some players left on good terms, others didn't but the bottom line remains that both of McKenna's brothers probably weren't good enough for the level we were aspiring to.

Also was it not Shay McGuigan who went to the papers? Can't recall either of the McKennas speaking out at the time.

It was Mickey who went to the papers is what I meant. Give me either of the McKenna brothers ahead of Conor Myler, Ronan O'Neill, Ben McDonnell, Aidan McRory, Conal McCann, Hugh Pat McGeary

Even if I take your point - mickey and conor meet and the subject of his brothers come up. Mickey looks at him and says Conor your different your brothers weren't good enough and thats why they ended on the scrap heap that day they walked away from me.

redhandefender

Quote from: GaaFanatic123 on February 14, 2020, 10:54:03 AM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 14, 2020, 08:02:23 AM
What a load of shite. AFL is an incredibly physical game, Gaelic football doesn't compare in that regard. Completely different game and different fitness required. Gaa would be quicker and more twisting and turning. AFL games regularly last over 100 mins and the ground is massive. It's a much more lung busting run type sport. They cover crazy kilometres throughout games. The skills levels would be much higher in GAA as well. I could see McKenna playing CHB or somewhere like that now. Even midfield as he will be extremely fit and used to getting up and down the ground.

AFL players average running distance is 13k (Just done research on google them on distances posted by the teams), the same for intercounty game is averge 13k but intercounty is done in less time...
AFL is an incredibly physical game - Obv it is im not doubting that but so is Gaa, McKenna will be likened to Caolan Mooney, same build and speed! Some say Mooney didn't make but he played 2 season with Collingwood who where one of the top teams in the AFL

Boys ask anyone from Down, Mooney was a rocket out there and when he came back, McKenna seems a different character.

southtyronegael

Quote from: Aaron Boone on February 13, 2020, 09:41:35 PM
Quote from: JimStynes on February 13, 2020, 09:16:36 PM
Why is he home? Unless there is a private matter then surely he will be away back to Oz in a month or 2. Joining the real world of work and fitting in football and shite weather in Ireland might cure his homesickness.
Eglish matters. And Tyrone. He can go back once the ultimate prize in his life is won.
intermediate championship?

Under Lights

Didn't one of his brothers leave the Tyrone panel with ill feeling?

Redhand Santa

The thing that a lot of you miss is that no one pulls on the jersey to play for Mickey Harte. It's Tyrone they want to play for. I know the relationship with the manager is important but it can be overstated. Always whispers about people not getting on with Mickey Harte but it's very rare you see a first 15 player walk away from the panel. It's usually guys frustrated at not getting on.

Angelo

Quote from: WT4E on February 14, 2020, 10:56:39 AM

Important.

It was Mickey who went to the papers is what I meant. Give me either of the McKenna brothers ahead of Conor Myler, Ronan O'Neill, Ben McDonnell, Aidan McRory, Conal McCann, Hugh Pat McGeary

Even if I take your point - mickey and conor meet and the subject of his brothers come up. Mickey looks at him and says Conor your different your brothers weren't good enough and thats why they ended on the scrap heap that day they walked away from me.

They lost their places when better players came around and didn't have the heart to fight it out. There were a good few in that boat back then. I'd say a few regret not sticking it out.

Emmett McKenna was one of those who dropped off the panel when we got relegated in the league. We made an AI semi final that summer and unlucky not to make the final. We won two Ulster titles in a row after that. I'd say some of those lads would regret not waiting round and working for their places. Tiernan McCann is an example of a lad who had been on the fringes of the panel for 3 or 4 years before he made himself a regular in the team in 2015.

The brothers have hardly pulled up trees with Eglish since they dropped off and also spent time traveling. There seems to be nothing better in football in Tyrone to boost your ability by dropping off the county panel when you weren't seeing game time.

GaaFanatic123

Quote from: Angelo on February 14, 2020, 12:13:57 PM
Quote from: WT4E on February 14, 2020, 10:56:39 AM

Important.

They lost their places when better players came around and didn't have the heart to fight it out. There were a good few in that boat back then. I'd say a few regret not sticking it out.

Emmett McKenna was one of those who dropped off the panel when we got relegated in the league. We made an AI semi final that summer and unlucky not to make the final. We won two Ulster titles in a row after that. I'd say some of those lads would regret not waiting round and working for their places. Tiernan McCann is an example of a lad who had been on the fringes of the panel for 3 or 4 years before he made himself a regular in the team in 2015.

The brothers have hardly pulled up trees with Eglish since they dropped off and also spent time traveling. There seems to be nothing better in football in Tyrone to boost your ability by dropping off the county panel when you weren't seeing game time.

Tyrone have to make an All Ireland Semi, that's not an achievement for out great county any more, you wudnt see Kerry, Mayo, Dublin considers a Semi being a good enuf year, it should be a minimum, we are one of the top 4 teams in Ireland so cant expect to have anything less!
Emmett McKenna left with Shay McGuigan, Patrick McNeice, Dwayne Quinn, and PJ Lavery after the league in2015, they trained all pre season and throughout the league and got a couple of minutes, injured players came back and got on the last league game! You cudnt blame them!