Saorview and Norn Iron Channels

Started by Shamrock Shore, February 17, 2012, 07:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

armaghniac

QuoteIf I buy a Saorview ready Tv all I need is a UHF aeriel and I can get the channels without a digibox correct

Correct.

QuoteOk so if I also buy one of those HD satellites that gives you all the freeview channels and BBC HD etc will I be able receive them channels through the Saorview ready TV or will I need to buy a digibox as well?

You'll need a box, a FreeSat box for instance. There are one or two types of TV that will tune both, but the vast majority do not.

Of course if you can pick up terrestrial BBC etc on your aerial the TV will tune this too. 

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

giveherlong

Fionntamhnach

I mentioned to you before that I was moving house to under the Carnmoney Hill transmitter.

I've moved in and got a new HD TV (Logik from Curry's). I can pick up a very snowy annalogue RTE 1 and RTE 2 picture on the new TV through the roof aerial.

I have an old TV so i thought i would give it ago to see if it would pick up a better picture. It has turned out that this old TV (a Grundig Super Color T56-1401 GB UHF/VHF) picks up crystal clear annalogue RTE 1, RTE 2, TV3 and TG4 pictures through the roof aerial.

Is there anyway i can improve the picture on the new TV i have to tie me over until the digital switchover in October? How come the old TV can pick up a crystal clear picture and the new one can't?

If I'm getting a good annalogue picture on the old TV, does it mean that if i get a Saorview Box or one out of Tesco i've heard mentioned, that i would be able to pick up the digital versions of RTE1,2, TV3 and TG4?

any help would be appreciated

Thanks

ExiledGael

I've been asked by an elderly relation to get a digital box for the switchover for their home in south Fermanagh area. I know nothing of the transmitters. Should I buy Freeview box in the north given that they pretty much only watch RTE TG4 and TV3, occassionally BBC NI? Will that even work or should I get Saorview box? Any advice appreciated.

armaghniac

QuoteShould I buy Freeview box in the north given that they pretty much only watch RTE TG4 and TV3, occassionally BBC NI? Will that even work or should I get Saorview box? Any advice appreciated.

Don't buy a regular Freeview box, which won't receive Saorview. A Freeview HD box will or a Saorview box will receive the regular Freeview. Your problem may be with channel numbering in that RTE may end up beyond obscure UK channels. Perhaps someone has experience of a good Freeview HD box?

giveherlong

thanks for the advice Fionntamhnach

LaurelEye

A regular Freeview box will pick up sound but not picture from the southern stations. You need FreeviewHD or Saorview for vision.

I've had Freeview boxes of one kind or another for the last four or five years and currently have a FreeviewHD box (brand is Metronic) which will pick up the signals both from Brougher Mountain and Corn Hill, although there's no subtitles or program guide for the southern channels.

The signals carrying UTV and Channel 4 from Brougher are fairly weak at the moment, so a signal will be hit and miss before October, but the BBC signals are generally fairly reliable. In general if you can pick up a picture from Brougher south of the border or from Corn Hill north of it, you should be OK after October with a HD box.

The one fly in the ointment that I can see for a lot of aul wans of both sexes on both sides of the border is the job of trying to manage two different remote controls.
Leader Cup winners: 1945, 1947, 1948, 1949, 1950, 1951, 2013, 2016, 2017, 2019, 2021, 2023.

lawnseed

the reception is pure shite all over mid armagh sometimes you can get rte and the next time you turn it on you cant only for sky we'd have no stations at all at the minute. even the bbc is poor tv3 has very poor sound infact all stations have very poor sound except when the ads come on then it would blow you out of the house. i feel like putting my boot through it if i could stay awake long enough to be arsed getting off the couch. pure slurry
A coward dies a thousand deaths a soldier only dies once

armaghniac

Has anyone found a modestly priced Freeview HD box that makes a reasonable stab at picking up Saorview without having to reprogramme the whole thing every time you switch channel? 

Applesisapples

Quote from: armaghniac on August 16, 2012, 01:07:58 AM
Has anyone found a modestly priced Freeview HD box that makes a reasonable stab at picking up Saorview without having to reprogramme the whole thing every time you switch channel?

Any freeview hd tv picks up RTE, TV3 etc on channels 800, 801, etc. I would presume that a freeview HD box would be capable of doing likewise. Anyone viewing RTE through SKY will be blocked from recieving sports which are on SKY in the UK. Hence you can't watch the Champions League for example on RTE through Sky. Also because TV3 shows a lot of ITV programmes it probably won't be available to Sky veiwers in de nort. Another advantage of Mpeg 4 tv's is the picking up of additional available channels such as RTE News and the proposed 3+1.

optimus cheese

Quote from: Applesisapples on August 16, 2012, 09:49:50 AM
Quote from: armaghniac on August 16, 2012, 01:07:58 AM

Any freeview hd tv picks up RTE, TV3 etc on channels 800, 801, etc. I would presume that a freeview HD box would be capable of doing likewise. Anyone viewing RTE through SKY will be blocked from recieving sports which are on SKY in the UK. Hence you can't watch the Champions League for example on RTE through Sky. Also because TV3 shows a lot of ITV programmes it probably won't be available to Sky veiwers in de nort. Another advantage of Mpeg 4 tv's is the picking up of additional available channels such as RTE News and the proposed 3+1.

I like the sound of that. Don't want sky or any of that nonsense, so what do I need for all the RTE/TV3/TG4 etc in north?

Shamrock Shore

Can ye olde video recorder still work for recording once saorview comes in?

armaghniac

QuoteAny freeview hd tv picks up RTE, TV3 etc on channels 800, 801, etc. I would presume that a freeview HD box would be capable of doing likewise.

Most do certainly, but reports have existed of particular models with problems in this regard.
I just want to hear of  someone who has model x and it works, and doesn't cost a pile and is available in Newry! 

QuoteI like the sound of that. Don't want sky or any of that nonsense, so what do I need for all the RTE/TV3/TG4 etc in north?

you need an aerial that can pick up an RTE signal from the 26 counties and a Freeview HD box or TV like above, or a Saroview box or TV. If you are not near the border RTE & TG4 (not TV3) will also be broadcast from some NI transmitters, a Freeview HD set will pick up this but some programmes may be blocked on this (not clear yet).

QuoteCan ye olde video recorder still work for recording once saorview comes in?

you can record what you are watching, if your box has a scart cable. No timed recordings.
A lot of VCRs will be in the recycling by Xmas.

Shamrock Shore

Thanks armaghniac

Fun and games ahead for auld wans North and South. It took my mother in law about a year to get used to the olde VCR.

How the hell do I explain the new ways of doing things cos if she cannot record Fair City/Coronation Street/Lesser Spotted Ulster she will be most upset.

armaghniac

Fun and games ahead for auld wans North and South. It took my mother in law about a year to get used to the olde VCR.

How the hell do I explain the new ways of doing things cos if she cannot record Fair City/Coronation Street/Lesser Spotted Ulster she will be most upset.

to the best of my knowledge there aren't a lot of handy recorders around for the new situation.