Down Club Hurling & Football

Started by Lecale2, November 10, 2006, 12:06:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

angermanagement

SamFever

Eamon Burns Bryansford. RIP.

Aristo 60

Poor Eamon and family.

He scored Down's first point from play in the '91 final. A score that settled us down after an early diet of Carr & Mason frees. It was a real beauty. Running straight at goal he passed it over the bar with no small measure of eloquence.

That and the mini run to the UF he gave us in 2017 are how I will remember him (RIP).

RadioGAAGAA

RIP Eamon - taken long before his time.
i usse an speelchekor

champion1981

Quote from: downjim on October 09, 2019, 02:18:54 PM
Remorse?? How about teaching your members not to say this crap, it's the GAA, we are the Gaa, sledging is for tramps
downjim if that's the case,your club is full of them!! Only caught the 2nd half of minor game sunday past and the  whole way through that half there was a white headed man from burren roaring abuse to referee and young kilcoo players in regards to ruc/PSNI cops,  he should of got a slap in the teeth for the way he was carrying on! Same shit as reported here few weeks back about mr p faloon,calling on the police,  people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, 🤔

Cuan12

RIP Eamonn Burns, gentleman of and on the pitch, massive loss to Down GAA

Smurfy123

RIP EAMON
I had a go at him here on occasions ill not deny but regardless of how I thought of him as manager of Down he was a legend in this county
Rest easy big man

PAULD123

Quote from: champion1981 on October 08, 2019, 09:49:37 PM
Smurfy he didn't admit to anything ,that came from bridge fella , if hes suspended from minors can he play for his seniors this weekend? He gets a run out for them doesn't he?

The way I see it is that eventually technology will be forced in. A company has already developed GPS trackers and it wouldn't take much to add wee mics to them. Our society is becoming increasingly sensitive to words and language (not judging good or bad, just saying). So I would see an eventual demand. Then there would be no he said...

Would have been science fiction twenty years ago but now I don't think its so far fetched.

Smurfy123

How is anyone even trying to justify the young Kilcoo player sledging a Mayobridge lads dead mum of 4 months. Instead of appealing it Kilcoo should have accepted it and try move on as quick as possible. I see it has now made the Irish news.
Don't thrash talk on the pitch and you won't need to worry. I would rather get a punch than asking how my dead mum is keeping. And only 4 months passed from what I'm lead to believe. No wonder with the man in charge of them

Last Caress

Quote from: champion1981 on October 09, 2019, 04:44:58 PM
Remorse?? How about teaching your members not to say this crap, it's the GAA, we are the Gaa, sledging is for tramps
downjim if that's the case,your club is full of them!! Only caught the 2nd half of minor game sunday past and the  whole way through that half there was a white headed man from burren roaring abuse to referee and young kilcoo players in regards to ruc/PSNI cops,  he should of got a slap in the teeth for the way he was carrying on! Same shit as reported here few weeks back about mr p faloon,calling on the police,  people in glass houses shouldn't throw stones, 🤔
Like i said before Downjim will come out of hibernatiion in the run up to the final. If kilcoo win he will disappear until next years championship. If they lose expect him to be keyboard happy. Just like last year.

Last Caress

Quote from: Smurfy123 on October 09, 2019, 06:26:13 PM
How is anyone even trying to justify the young Kilcoo player sledging a Mayobridge lads dead mum of 4 months. Instead of appealing it Kilcoo should have accepted it and try move on as quick as possible. I see it has now made the Irish news.
Don't thrash talk on the pitch and you won't need to worry. I would rather get a punch than asking how my dead mum is keeping. And only 4 months passed from what I'm lead to believe. No wonder with the man in charge of them
This forum is making a story for them. Don't need to be a reporter. Just read it here. Subject should be closed. It's been thrashed out enough

Lotto

Eamonn Burns was always a leader in Down football. He stood up in '91 and '94 when he was needed and yet again in 2016 when the county couldn't get a manager, he stood up. He was abused from everyone, and in particular on here, when things didn't go our way but he kept coming back. He took us to the Ulster Final in 2017 and I'm sure this gave him great pride, though the result never went our way. He was slated again in 2018 and sadly walked. We don't have enough men like Eamonn Burns who will put their shoulder to the wheel whenever they are needed. RIP Eamonn, you can be proud of your contribution to Down football in so many ways.

yewtree

Quote from: champion1981 on October 09, 2019, 04:44:58 PM

Now even the dogs on the street know that certain clubs from the East have a name for sledging.
The County Board as we have become used to over recent times again acted with leadership. Why would Kilcoo even dare to appeal it ?

We as a county need to expect our clubs to act with decency and if not thankfully we have a strong County Board to intervene.

Burren minors had to put up with serious abuse on Sunday and even before the game the usual verbal abuse was in full flow. In fairness the Burren management acted with sheer class as we have come to expect and leading a serious talented sporting bunch.

Seems time spent avoiding justice is a habit in some parts.

thebar

Quote from: Lotto on October 09, 2019, 06:38:44 PM
Eamonn Burns was always a leader in Down football. He stood up in '91 and '94 when he was needed and yet again in 2016 when the county couldn't get a manager, he stood up. He was abused from everyone, and in particular on here, when things didn't go our way but he kept coming back. He took us to the Ulster Final in 2017 and I'm sure this gave him great pride, though the result never went our way. He was slated again in 2018 and sadly walked. We don't have enough men like Eamonn Burns who will put their shoulder to the wheel whenever they are needed. RIP Eamonn, you can be proud of your contribution to Down football in so many ways.

Well said Lotto. As you said Eamon stepped in for a number of years to manage the county during a time when some of the older boys were hanging up the boots and there wasn't much coming through to replace them. And not 1 in the county would have taken them either so for that we should be thankful and thank him for his not insignificant role during the glory years of the early 90's. For me his performances in the All Ireland Final of '91 and '94 Ulster final showed what a classy powerful player he was. Thanks Eamon for the memories...A gentleman and great GAA man. RIP Eamon.