Climate change

Started by Eamonnca1, September 20, 2019, 08:18:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

easytiger95

Great article from an incredibly brave and articulate person. I agree with Eamonn, those who are criticising her are basically engaging in child abuse for hire. Good clip below from the Majority Report on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSFEcG0CKB0

These are very dark times (I've also been bingeing on a lot of Scott Walker music recently, which definitely hasn't helped  :o) but as we settle down to wait for our Mad Max style hellscape to fully appear, at least we can say we were told, and clearly, what we should do to prevent it. People like her are a wonder and she should be cherished.

Just on the nuclear issue, I don't know near enough about it. For me the big questions re its use is the production of the waste material - where and how can it be safely dealt with? Also, are these new reactor designs safe enough to deal with natural disasters, earthquakes, hurricanes, typhoons, tsunami etc? Given that a lot of these phenomena are exacerbated by climate change, are these risks being built into design?

Genuine questions, I'd love some answers. Nuclear has always seemed to me that it should or could be part of a solution.

whitey

I wonder if they got the family discount on the ANTIFA tee shirts?

Oh.....I forgot, they just borrowed them from someone

omaghjoe

Its alot of pressure for any1 let alone someone who is 16, yesterday was a difficult watch.
I know she'd prob say she wants to do it but to be thrust into the limelight like that and all the pressure and ridicule that comes with it is difficult to handle... she is 16 FGS!

As for the facts of the Climate there is no way I would be listening to a well meaning 16 year old on it.
Firstly I'd have difficulty believing that she knows more than myself about it and there is no way she understands more than a lot of other people who talk about it.

If you want to talk about Climate change talk about it, not Greta Thornberg.
And lets hear about the solutions..... the solutions are difficult with consequences of their own.
Then people just want rant on about the ridicule of a 16 year old instead of actual solutions, there must be dozens of articles online about this.
If you want to talk about child abuse talk about child trafficking not this.

omaghjoe

Meanwhile in other news Ireland is doing its part by banning oil exploration in its territorial waters

KSA also pledged to do their bit by pledging not to build any peat power plants

five points

Quote from: easytiger95 on September 24, 2019, 09:36:52 AM
those who are criticising her are basically engaging in child abuse for hire.

Why do you think there's a (clearly troubled) child fronting this propaganda campaign?

seafoid

Quote from: five points on September 24, 2019, 04:24:28 PM
Quote from: easytiger95 on September 24, 2019, 09:36:52 AM
those who are criticising her are basically engaging in child abuse for hire.

Why do you think there's a (clearly troubled) child fronting this propaganda campaign?
It's not propaganda.
Climate change is a fact.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

five points

Quote from: seafoid on September 24, 2019, 04:25:35 PM

Climates have always changed and will change.  That is a fact. The theory that current climate change is wholly or predominantly man-made and will have catastrophic results most certainly is not.

Meanwhile, I await an answer to my question.

easytiger95

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/video/2019/sep/18/listen-to-the-scientists-greta-thunberg-tells-congress-video

Greta says it better than anyone - she doesn't want anyone to listen to her per se, she wants them to listen to the scientists. But given that one of the two main parties in the world's biggest emitter is committed to climate change denial, then she feels no choice but to speak out - given that her generation are the ones who will bear the biggest cost.

Perhaps people should get over the fact that she is a 16 year old girl and acknowledge the sense she is talking - she says we should follow the considered, peer reviewed conclusions of over 99 percent of studies that climate change is caused by human activity. If you disagree with her, I assume you are disagreeing with that?

Or maybe you just don't think a 16 year old girl should speak truth to power - a position I find as repellent as climate change denial. We won't get a solution without a functioning global democratic system. Her stand renews faith in the power of free speech, protest and democracy on the ground. The tragedy is that a 16 year old girl is displaying more maturity than the majority of lawmakers in Western societies.

trailer

Quote from: five points on September 24, 2019, 04:29:03 PM

Climates have always changed and will change.  That is a fact. The theory that current climate change is wholly or predominantly man-made and will have catastrophic results most certainly is not.

Jesus Christ. Do you actually believe this?

Gabriel_Hurl

five points

Quote from: trailer on September 24, 2019, 04:51:47 PM

Jesus Christ. Do you actually believe this?

Do you believe the opposite?

five points

Quote from: Gabriel_Hurl on September 24, 2019, 04:52:40 PM
She's doing alright

You really think she's running her own Twitter account?

five points

Quote from: easytiger95 on September 24, 2019, 04:45:44 PM
Or maybe you just don't think a 16 year old girl should speak truth to power - a position I find as repellent as climate change denial. We won't get a solution without a functioning global democratic system. Her stand renews faith in the power of free speech, protest and democracy on the ground. The tragedy is that a 16 year old girl is displaying more maturity than the majority of lawmakers in Western societies.

She's a troubled child with special needs. If you think that fronting a huge political campaign is a safe and appropriate activity for her, fair enough but I beg to differ.

Gabriel_Hurl

Is this the boul' Foxkkkommander back under another account??

BennyCake

Yup, agreed.