All-Ireland Football Qualifiers 2016

Started by Tony, June 07, 2016, 10:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Unison

Colm Parkinson is nothing if not honest. He was also right about Mick Lillis. I like his article........I also like his recommendation at the end of his article......

http://www.sportsjoe.ie/gaa/laois-have-the-talent-to-emulate-donegal-now-all-they-need-is-the-leadership/88658

Like the rest of us, he is a frustrated Laois man.

Over to you County Board.

redsetanta

Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 26, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Quote from: redsetanta on July 26, 2016, 03:24:58 PM
'welcomehome', welcome to the forum however can you cease from using the 'text speak'. Just take a bit more time when you're posting to spell the word correctly, use a few capitals and the odd comma and full stop. Doesn't have to be perfect just near enough.

Other than that all is good.

Who put you in charge?!

I ain't the chief, just commenting on a football forum like everyone else and my eyes ache trying to read posts like that!
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

OTF

Quote from: redsetanta on July 26, 2016, 04:39:54 PM
Quote from: Keyser Söze on July 26, 2016, 03:29:08 PM
Quote from: redsetanta on July 26, 2016, 03:24:58 PM
'welcomehome', welcome to the forum however can you cease from using the 'text speak'. Just take a bit more time when you're posting to spell the word correctly, use a few capitals and the odd comma and full stop. Doesn't have to be perfect just near enough.

Other than that all is good.

Who put you in charge?!

I ain't the chief, just commenting on a football forum like everyone else and my eyes ache trying to read posts like that!

Nerd Police :) :-\

BallyroanAbu

Parkinson is self-serving.  He will switch his view at will.  He has reinvented himself as a journalist and fair play to him.  But anything to do with Laois Football leave it so, he has a completely biased opinion which only serves him.  That is not to say he has good points but in regards to Laois your never sure where they are coming from.

steven seagal

QuoteParkinson is self-serving.  He will switch his view at will.  He has reinvented himself as a journalist and fair play to him.  But anything to do with Laois Football leave it so, he has a completely biased opinion which only serves him.  That is not to say he has good points but in regards to Laois your never sure where they are coming from.

Nearly every article I've read from him seems to be mostly about himself and his time with Laois, he relates everything back to it. That's going to wear very thin very soon, I hope he branches out a bit because he can be very good.

Today's Indo reporting the players want Sugrue.

Joeythelips

A bit harsh on Parkinson, he is only comparing now to when he played and he seems to have Laois best interest at heart. What he said is correct too, we have quality players in the county just like we had before Micko came, but we are failing them. I am not saying we will do a Donegal and win an All Ireland but with the right set-up in place we can certainly have Division 3 & All Ireland quarter finals as realistic goals. The next appointment is crucial, they should consult the players so no stone will be left unturned.

ILikeStrawberryJam

While woolie is self serving he does speak a lot of sense.
We have a lot of talent and with the right mgmt team we should go back up to Division 2.
I'm not sure how long we could stay there though
There is a lot of lads are 30+ now and there dosent seem to be much coming thru ..
Its a killer losing lads for the qualifiers. Without doubt i think we would be in the QF is O'Carroll had stayed
Awful frustrating ..

Comparing us to Donegal is ridiculous IMO, they definitely had more talent at their disposal.
Pulling from a much bigger pool. with 3 big strong top class forwards who could win games when the heat came on ..

There must be a decent modern innovative manager out there who finds Laois an attractive option .
I've no idea who it is to be fair ..

Joeythelips

Quote from: ILikeStrawberryJam on July 27, 2016, 12:39:34 PM
While woolie is self serving he does speak a lot of sense.
We have a lot of talent and with the right mgmt team we should go back up to Division 2.
I'm not sure how long we could stay there though
There is a lot of lads are 30+ now and there dosent seem to be much coming thru ..
Its a killer losing lads for the qualifiers. Without doubt i think we would be in the QF is O'Carroll had stayed
Awful frustrating ..

Comparing us to Donegal is ridiculous IMO, they definitely had more talent at their disposal.
Pulling from a much bigger pool. with 3 big strong top class forwards who could win games when the heat came on ..

There must be a decent modern innovative manager out there who finds Laois an attractive option .
I've no idea who it is to be fair ..

I dont get it, why is comparing us to Donegal ridiculous, did anyone see them the year before, in 2009 they got to an AI quarter final where Cork hammered them by 14 points in 2010 they were turfed out of the qualifiers by an average Armagh team - take a look at the Donegal team that day.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2010/0621/267006-armagh_donegal/

The following year when McGuinness took over they beat us to win Div 2 and lost by 2 points to eventual champions Dublin, the following year they won the All Ireland, take a look at the team that day.
http://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/football/2012/0923/338732-donegal-beat-mayo-to-end-wait-for-sam/

Now look at the Laois players on the panel. Some might see average players but i see a lot of potential, a hell of a lot in fact if they have a really good set up in place. The story of Laois football history is not getting the most out of the players we have, we actually produce a high standard of footballers as any county. This next appointment is huge.

BallyroanAbu

Donegal were in an All - Ireland U21 Final in 2010 I would think Big Jim had better talent available

redsetanta

Parkison, speaking from his own personal experience, said all along that Lillis was the wrong man for the job. Fair enough he's working in media now which is self serving but he's never hid behind anything and has always called it as he's seen it.
He has been barking on about the age of the core of the team for a good while now and that it will go to waste if we don't make the right appointment.
It's nothing new from him if anyone has been listening to what he's been saying the past while.

The likes of Quigley, Begley, Healy etc will be gone soon and a poor appointment might mean they depart sooner rather than later.

Sugrue has a decent track record so why not go with what the players want if that is the case.
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Tony

2 quick points :

1: What Parkinson says makes a lot of sense and I'd second what he's saying.

2: To the person typing in text speak and then typing normally as if cured, go with typing normally, please. We don't care if your spelling and punctuation is off bt cn u c hw ann9ing dis iz m8? We can't make you type properly but we sure would appreciate it.

blueandwhite1

Quote from: Tony on July 27, 2016, 05:38:43 PM
2 quick points :

1: What Parkinson says makes a lot of sense and I'd second what he's saying.

2: To the person typing in text speak and then typing normally as if cured, go with typing normally, please. We don't care if your spelling and punctuation is off bt cn u c hw ann9ing dis iz m8? We can't make you type properly but we sure would appreciate it.

gr8 pst tny. We are all just too old for txt speak!

Not just Wooly who has been calling the management thing in Laois a shambles. Who has been happy since O'Flaharta was involved? Perhaps a panel of ex players and maybe even an outside consultant might do a good job. We will find the money for the right guy. If it is a case of 'who will do the job for 20 grand', then it is a self defeating thing. Poor quality appointment = poor results = no attendance at games = no money. Serious leadership required to sort out club football and senior team infrastructure and management. No evidence that it is there.

Hospital Pass

If the article on the players wanting Sugrue is correct, then why wait. Wouldn't it be great to have him in place so he can judge players on the senior championship.
I'd like the players to have more of a role in appointing the next manager. If they select him then they cant have any complaints down the line.
It sort of forces them in games to fight for the manager if nothing else. With the last few managers i didn't see any particular bond between them and the panel.
Jim mcguinness had that with donegal from the previous under 21 winning teams.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Here is that article in the Indo, I think he would be a great man to be coming in. I heard last year that they wanted him but for some reason he didn't get it..

http://www.independent.ie/sport/gaelic-games/gaelic-football/laois-want-exkerry-u21-boss-sugrue-to-take-reins-34915726.html
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Tony

I'd be very happy if Sugrue was appointed. The players are the most important in terms of appointments AND they are the best positioned. They know who's a chancer and who's the real deal. Lillis is a chancer (a nice chancer) but he was found out. McNulty was well liked, believe it or not, after speaking with a number of players. TOF was not as well liked and the likes of Paul Cahilane did not show up purely because of him. Why not get someone with brains and who is well liked (Sugrue). I sure can't think of any other better REALISTIC target. The sooner the better also with the SFC underway. John Sugrue with Joe Higgins and P. Ryan would be a dream setup.