All-Ireland Football Qualifiers 2016

Started by Tony, June 07, 2016, 10:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony

I don't think it's strange at all. Mick is a very decent man, and you'd hardly find a nicer, sounder man around. However, his limitations in terms of modern inter-county management were clear. We knew it, he knew it. Much respect to him.

High Fielder

Quote from: portlaoisekid on July 25, 2016, 06:52:22 PM
Very strange TBH... there is obviously something going on we don't know for Mick to leave a job he coveted for years after 1 year. The main theory is that cunningham has the job and Mick went gracefully rather than waiting to be sacked.

It's something I thought about when Cunningham came in. He was clearly undermined from that point on and there was no way back. Mick didn't go looking for Cunningham as far as I know, so how or why he stayed around for as long as he did is a mystery. He loves Laois, but like Sean Dempsey, it wasn't enough. The team looked way off the pace under him, and I'm of the opinion that if Cunningham had been around earlier, we wouldn't have been relegated and might still be in the championship. It would be strange to say the least if Cunningham didn't get it, but sure this is Laois. You can expect anything

steven seagal

I don't think Cunningham wants it, was told over the weekend he's odds on to be the next Limerick hurling manager, so I think we can rule him out, barring Limerick go with someone else and he's back on the market.

Lillis went because the players wanted him gone. Mick had the best of intentions when he took the job, no doubt, and as someone pointed out it was a job he coveted for a long time, but he wasn't remotely prepared for the level of preparation and planning the role requires. It was farcical some of the stories coming out of the camp, and the players weren't going to put up with it for another year. It was the players who demanded the setup change midway through the season, which saw Cunningham come in, so Lillis surely knew his days were numbered from then.

With Cunningham unlikely to take it on, it's hard to see who we could come up with. Joe Higgins and John Sugrue are probably the strongest of the Laois based candidates. I'd be in favour of Pat Ryan being involved in some capacity, if his boxing commitments aren't too prohibitive. After those, you're looking at going outside the county, and the last time our County Board did that we ended up with O'Flatharta, so I'd be nervous for what the future holds!

Saint75

Sad to see Mick go down so quickly but he lost the dressing room very early on. I think he underestimated the leap to inter county management. I'm not ruling Cunningham in or out for the job but I've seen no evidence in his short term in charge that he offers anything other than put more players behind the ball and hope for the best. Hurling is a different game and club football is miles behind tactically and that's his background. I think grooming a future manager along with the next appointment could be the way to go. Follow that with injecting some life into the underage setup and the club championship and we may start turning things around.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

It's a good sign if the players wanted it as it shows they are really committed to doing well for Laois and not prepared to accept whatever the Co. Board throws at them. I really would love to see Mick Dempsey involved at some level on the next management team as he has been there and done it with Kilkenny and is a brilliant physical trainer as can be seen by the fitness levels he achieved with the cats.
Can't say I'm sorry to see the end of Lillis but he did bring on a few new lads and that's an achievement in itself. It is a good time for a new man to come in as winning Div.3 of the league is very possible and would be a great starting point for any new manager. We really have to get it right this time and let's hope the players will have some input into who gets it as it's important that everyone is behind this next appointment.
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Tony

Anyone hearing Lillis speak about football knew he had to go, and while the players liked him, they didn't have confidence in his ability to manage. I was astonished at how off the pace he was and how poor his attitude was. We should have been aiming for promotion in Div 2 this season - but the way he was going on, it was as if he knew we would go down and was resigned to it. That's not at all the attitude you want in a manager.

My pick is definitely Cunningham but why would he in all fairness if he has an offer from a very good hurling side like Limerick (unless he does see the good potential in Laois to do a lot better). After that, it's hard to see a quality outside manager coming in (is Jason Ryan worth a try - very poor at Kildare but impressive at Wexford). I'm not holding my breath for a top manager to be honest. Apart from McNulty and Kearns, we've had below average and uninspiring appointments the last 10 years. Lillis probably being the worst followed by TOF and Dempsey. Not a personal attack on Lillis, terrible nice guy, just not good enough to be managing a side with decent potential like Laois. The county board spent an age getting TOF to "bring us to the next level." About time they had a bit of cop on. 

Unison

No disrespect to Mick Lillis, and its not hindsight, but most GAA followers in Laois were aware that he would not be up to it, but yet the CB went ahead and appointed him. The CB lack any credibility at this stage, especially after Kavanaghs statement about bringing Laois to 'the next level', after McNulty left. God knows who they will appoint now. I doubt it will be Cunningham, as I suspect his first love is hurling.

Perhaps one of (or a combo of) Joe Higgins, Mick Dempsey, Pat Ryan. But as someone else said already, it might be worthwhile talking to Jason Ryan.

Don Draper

No harm if the players turned the light inwards now after this. No question Lillis had to go, but they need to take a long hard look at themselves. The lack of guts when it came to the crunch v Antrim & Clare in 2015 & 2016 was galling. It's not always the managers fault. We have and historically have always had, attitude problems. Micko quelled them for a period, but its inherent in us. I don't see a Micko out there at present.

portlaoisekid

It's a year wasted imo.. we are back to square one and it's the same names being linked again with the job . It's all about money , if we had the money we would have had a top mgt team in place this year and by all accounts nothing has changed financially. Now I'm not saying we blow more money on another outside mercenary but moreso pay for a top class set up.

As for the local candidates I wouldn't see anything near the quality of  what we need.

welcomehome

i think de lads dat are named  are not strong enought to bring laois to the level...i would be in favour in bringing someone in from outside de county..who i dont no or whats available...i think de talent is dere....

redsetanta

'welcomehome', welcome to the forum however can you cease from using the 'text speak'. Just take a bit more time when you're posting to spell the word correctly, use a few capitals and the odd comma and full stop. Doesn't have to be perfect just near enough.

Other than that all is good. 
The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. VinceLombardi

Keyser Söze

Quote from: redsetanta on July 26, 2016, 03:24:58 PM
'welcomehome', welcome to the forum however can you cease from using the 'text speak'. Just take a bit more time when you're posting to spell the word correctly, use a few capitals and the odd comma and full stop. Doesn't have to be perfect just near enough.

Other than that all is good.

Who put you in charge?!
The greatest trick the devil ever pulled.......

Unlaoised

I think John Sugrue wouldn't be a bad start I know for a fact the players loved his imput when TOF was there....

Him Pat Ryan and Joe Higgins would be a decent trio....

It would allow them to watch the Senior Championship this month and get things in place for next year...

I'm sure they could watch a few intermediate games aswell being local and involved.

If Cunningham would stay and bring in shane Curran(who I believe also made a big impact on the players)it would be a good option!

We still have good talent there for a few years yet and it should not be wasted!
LAOIS ABÚ

welcomehome

redsetanta who are to comment on anyone spelling or what they say.its none of your business.this is for people to comment on laois football not for checking the way people type...

Dave like the tv channel

Quote from: welcomehome on July 26, 2016, 04:01:26 PM
redsetanta who are to comment on anyone spelling or what they say.its none of your business.this is for people to comment on laois football not for checking the way people type...

It's annoying and makes you look thick. Any can slip up with spelling etc, but setting out to do it is so irritating.