All-Ireland Football Qualifiers 2016

Started by Tony, June 07, 2016, 10:54:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

High Fielder

Anything is possible if you want it bad enough I guess. Unfortunately, we start every year much weaker than you'd like to be. Lads gloss over the fact that you are missing Healy, McMahon Scully, O'Leary, Boyle and many many others but these are guaranteed starters or at worst strong panelists. It can't be done and the net result was the collapse in Clare where weak players messed it up for us. That's the reality for us, particularly with our backs where we have zero strength in depth.

As for the whole quarter finalists thing, maybe I was disrespectful. Of course I'd like to see us going to Croke Park for a quarter final, but I'd much rather start the year with ambitions of winning a league or being competitive in Leinster.

Tony

Still going on about McMahon and O'Leary I see. Sure Tyrone would do better with Peter Canavan and Kerry will easily beat Dublin if only Maurice Fitzgerald was still prepared to put in the effort, he's just being lazy. Retirement is nonsense I say.

As for Scully, he has to be "the best player to never play for his county team". His status is only rising, the more he doesn't play.

Pity about Healy alright but it's simply not feasible for him to commit to both codes from London.

SCFC

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Quote from: High Fielder on July 24, 2016, 03:04:00 PM
Anything is possible if you want it bad enough I guess. Unfortunately, we start every year much weaker than you'd like to be. Lads gloss over the fact that you are missing Healy, McMahon Scully, O'Leary, Boyle and many many others but these are guaranteed starters or at worst strong panelists. It can't be done and the net result was the collapse in Clare where weak players messed it up for us. That's the reality for us, particularly with our backs where we have zero strength in depth.

As for the whole quarter finalists thing, maybe I was disrespectful. Of course I'd like to see us going to Croke Park for a quarter final, but I'd much rather start the year with ambitions of winning a league or being competitive in Leinster.

That's exactly my point, we had to play a few who were a bit weaker due to the fact that the panel we started the year with was weakened by defections. But in fairness it wasn't the weaker players that messed it up, some of our more senior lads had 3 great chances from frees near the end to draw or even win it and they totally messed it up. Our main freetaker all year was missing and in the end it boiled down to that fact.
And I agree that we start every year much weaker than you'd like to be but you hope that you will get stronger as the year progresses, not weaker by lads bailing out halfway through the season. They stay to play against teams we have no hope of beating yet go when we get to face teams where we have a realistic chance of victory. My point is why start at all if you don't want to finish......
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

High Fielder

Quote from: Tony on July 24, 2016, 04:19:29 PM
Still going on about McMahon and O'Leary I see. Sure Tyrone would do better with Peter Canavan and Kerry will easily beat Dublin if only Maurice Fitzgerald was still prepared to put in the effort, he's just being lazy. Retirement is nonsense I say.

As for Scully, he has to be "the best player to never play for his county team". His status is only rising, the more he doesn't play.

Pity about Healy alright but it's simply not feasible for him to commit to both codes from London.

Sometimes you make a right ass of yourself. You jabber on about nothing in particular and expect poor players to do things they cannot do. You have probably never seen Scully play, because if you had, you'd know he's a good player. Would all of those players I mentioned not enhance the panel? Don't even answer. I know they would you grade A  clown. Retired or otherwise, committed or not, those lads are still better than what's in there. You are therefore setting yourself up with an inferior set of players. Did you not realise that when you walked out of Ennis with your thumb up your hole wondering what went on?

Tony

You're the one going on about retired players. Ring Tom Kelly up and ask him to come back you absolute donkey. I know some of the Ballyroan lads and they know he's lost a few yards of pace in the last couple of years. Padraig knows this also and has a lot oh his plate personally, he doesn't need you telling him he should commit - he's been a great servant to Laois and has retired now, fair play to him.

Scully is decent but where is he?! He's never tried to get on the panel - maybe he has too much going on in his personal life to commit. You're a walking contradiction - one minute let Evan O Carroll off to the U.S.A. "because "why wouldn't he?" the next you're saying Scully should be there if he'd only commit.

Then you say there's no point Laois getting to the quarter finals and ten minutes later you change your mind and say you shouldn't have said that and you believe there is a point us getting there.

You don't even know what you're saying, constantly changing your mind and loaded with contradictions. Not sure how you expect any of the rest of us to respect your posts.

Junior Ex Laoistalk

Some good points being made on both sides lads but surely they can be made without resorting to insults. This is not Hogan Stand....
Winners are not those who never fail, but those who never quit!

Tony

High Fielder

I respect any lad's decision not to commit, retire or go to the USA. I don't believe anyone SHOULD be in there but nor do believe it is fair to judge a panel that is well short of some very good players. Even lacking a yard of pace, McMahon would be better coming from the bench than some of the lads that did in Ennis, and in all likelihood we wouldn't have lost ball as easily as we did if we had more experienced lads. This is why we lost matches this year. Derry, Meath and Clare were all games that could have been won with the lads I mentioned coming in or starting, in my opinion. I think we are carrying lads at the moment who are well short at this level, and out of respect to their commitment, I won't name them.

Uisce

Anyone else hear Lillis stepped down?.. If so, disappointed it didn't work out, but things just didn't go well.. Still think the Laois job is one that would be somewhat attractive, on a player potential basis.. Perhaps it is the financial support which makes it less appealing!

welcomehome

heard he has ok...hopefully the county board will appoint someone strong ...wont hold my breath...

Unison

It was a very poorly thought appointment in the first place.

welcomehome

mick lilis is a very person..just wasnt strong enought for manager....

Joeythelips

https://www.facebook.com/CLGLaois/posts/1016714321782300

In fairness he gave it his best shot, and he also realised his limitations and did the correct thing. Hopefully we can get Cunningham on board as manager now for next year as he clearly had a positive effect on the team in the brief period he has been there.

portlaoisekid

Very strange TBH... there is obviously something going on we don't know for Mick to leave a job he coveted for years after 1 year. The main theory is that cunningham has the job and Mick went gracefully rather than waiting to be sacked.