Android Boxes

Started by snoopdog, July 30, 2015, 09:49:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Up The Middle

Have your a link for the video. Turns out I'm useless with computers after all.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

laoislad

When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Boycey

http://www.aftvnews.com/how-to-sideload-apps-like-kodi-onto-the-fire-tv-using-nothing-but-the-fire-tv/

Pretty much the same as laoislads but with written steps for eejits like me that constantly have to stop and rewind the YouTube video :-)

laoislad

Has anyone found a way to get the Kodi icon on the home screen? It's a bit of an arse having to go to settings etc

Boycey

There used to be a wee app that did it but it stopped working. Found this link and bookmarked it recently but not got round to testing it..

http://www.htpcbeginner.com/install-firestarter-on-amazon-fire-tv/

laoislad

Looks good. Will give it a try tomorrow.

Up The Middle

Quote from: laoislad on December 14, 2015, 11:27:13 PM
https://youtu.be/XSuj7OrAPYw

Thanks for that. Got it set up and beast installed too. Great job. Thanks again.
I'm very important. I have many leather-bound books and my apartment smells of rich mahogany.

Smokin Joe

Quote from: laoislad on December 14, 2015, 11:48:59 PM
Has anyone found a way to get the Kodi icon on the home screen? It's a bit of an arse having to go to settings etc

On the Firestick there is a way that you can associate a double click of the home button to start up Kodi.  That's the way I have it set up.
These are my instructions on how I did it (but I see it involves Firestarter):

On Firestick

• Settings
    Applications
    Manage Installed Applications
    Scroll down to Firestarter
    Launch Application
    Updates – Update to latest version
    (Still in Firestarter)
    Settings – Startup Application – click and choose "No Action"
    Home Button Single Click – choose "Fire TV Home"
    Home Button Double Click – choose "Kodi"
    Double click Home button and Kodi will open

nrico2006

Is the android boxes better than the firestick?  What is the difference?  What kind of quality are the streams from KODI like on the TV?  Is Live TV good quality on both?
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

laoislad

You can buy a decent enough android box for as cheap as €50.
Would you just go and buy one and play around with it.

Its not going to replace your main TV provider imo but they are great for video on demand via showbox and kodi and also for live sports.

MoChara

Quote from: Up The Middle on December 14, 2015, 10:47:00 PM
I tried to download kodi to my laptop but it just keeps coming up as a blank zip file and saying application cannot be found. Any ideas?

I tried for a while myself to get it to work had my head fried, ended up just buying one of the wee boxes for 40 quid great job so far.

Geoff Tipps

Quote from: laoislad on December 15, 2015, 08:40:26 AM
You can buy a decent enough android box for as cheap as €50.
Would you just go and buy one and play around with it.

Its not going to replace your main TV provider imo but they are great for video on demand via showbox and kodi and also for live sports.

There's on here for about €25. As LL said, buy one, play around with it. You don't have to be tech savvy.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Smart-TV-BOX-RK3368-2G-16G-KODI-Fully-XBMC-Loaded-Android5-1-Lollipop-Octa-Core-/321946577360?hash=item4af582e9d0:g:D2YAAOSwfZ1WZZtf

laoislad

I'd be careful of the very cheap units. I had a one and it didn't play Kodi that good.
Something around the €50 mark should be fine.
My main one that I use is called a MXIII. You shoud be able find it in eBay for around the €50 mark.

johnneycool

Quote from: laoislad on December 15, 2015, 10:45:31 AM
I'd be careful of the very cheap units. I had a one and it didn't play Kodi that good.
Something around the €50 mark should be fine.
My main one that I use is called a MXIII. You shoud be able find it in eBay for around the €50 mark.

On firestarter you have the option of undating Kodi, which I did from some version 14 to a v16 beta and now its as slow as a wet week. Updated again to the proper version of v16 and its also no better.

Is there any way of regressing on a firestick?

Up The Middle

i have the stick up and running and am just getting the hang of it. Ive noticed that a lot of the streams don't work (when I click into them they start searching then just stop) when this has happened me quite a few times Kodi actually freezes and wont let me do anything, I have to power of and on. I cleared the data and reinstalled the beast but it still happens. Any ideas?