Money, Dublin and the GAA

Started by IolarCoisCuain, October 04, 2016, 07:27:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Scarlet

Correct me if I am wrong but was the whole Leinster Rugby bogeyman one of the main reasons why the Dubs got so much backing?
The Dubs are at a stage where they are self-sufficient and their success could continue even without the finances coming in from the GAA or any other Government grants.
In the meantime rugby has spread further and the commuter counties are all on the bandwagon while the GAA teams have been left to be crushed under the blue wave.
them mysterons are always killing me but im grand after a few days.sickenin aul dose all the same.

RadioGAAGAA

Quote from: Orchard park on September 19, 2017, 05:40:48 PM
and i stated others are using Dublin as having too much money as a cheap excuse for their own failings.

Just to confirm, you'd be happy for the Dublin County Board to hand back much of the money they get from central council back for redistribution in other counties?

[seeing as you consider this money to be unimportant...]
i usse an speelchekor

TheGreatest

This is a great read lads, please continue....

One point, I posted it on another thread before I see this, Dublin, 1 minor in over 20 years, beaten by Derry this year and Meath, u-17s beaten by Meath. Or does money only start winning you things at U-21.

If you are worried about domination of the game, id worry about Kerry, once this Dublin team is gone, Kerry will take over, some counties will never ever win an all Ireland or some will not compete at the latter stages of it, look at the history of the GAA , the semis and finals, there is a pattern to the teams that are there or there abouts every year.

If I were you lot, id go down to your local club and start coaching, its easy to learn how to coach the basics of the game, its a simple game to play. Let me know how you all get on.

Orchard park

Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 19, 2017, 09:48:55 PM
and i stated others are using Dublin as having too much money as a cheap excuse for their own failings.

Just to confirm, you'd be happy for the Dublin County Board to hand back much of the money they get from central council back for redistribution in other counties?

Firtstly i'm not from dublin and have no gra for any team dominating but the money thing is a red herring. I dont see why Dublin would return any money tbh., the grants received per playing head are no greater than anywhere else are they. I equallly have no problem with increased grants to other counties to help them develop further.

But it is cheap and lazy to think that money is the cause of success........ the dublin football success is built on developing good un21 and seriously good seniors form moderate minor teams really. Its also built on most clubs being run by lin many cases country men who are putting huge hours into club and game development. I know several who are clocking up 30 clujb hours a week in addition to having a job......

trueblue1234

Quote from: Orchard park on September 20, 2017, 10:58:23 AM
Quote from: RadioGAAGAA on September 19, 2017, 09:48:55 PM

Firtstly i'm not from dublin and have no gra for any team dominating but the money thing is a red herring. I dont see why Dublin would return any money tbh., the grants received per playing head are no greater than anywhere else are they. I equallly have no problem with increased grants to other counties to help them develop further.

But it is cheap and lazy to think that money is the cause of success........ the dublin football success is built on developing good un21 and seriously good seniors form moderate minor teams really. Its also built on most clubs being run by lin many cases country men who are putting huge hours into club and game development. I know several who are clocking up 30 clujb hours a week in addition to having a job......

So, say we were able to give you a figure that showed that Dublin got much more investment per playing head, you'd accept that it's unfair?
Grammar: the difference between knowing your shit

AZOffaly

Orchard park

absolutely i'd accept it as unfair and that if it was the case all other should have at least that amount per playing head

AZOffaly

Quote from: Orchard park on September 20, 2017, 11:19:41 AM
absolutely i'd accept it as unfair and that if it was the case all other should have at least that amount per playing head

That's all I'm advocating for. I don't want to punish Dublin for being good at using their money. I don't even want to split them up or whinge about jobs and facilities and home advantages. That's part of the beauty of beating them.

But Jaysus at least let the GAA itself not handicap the other counties by giving Dublin a huge headstart in their development. Even if the raw numbers are different, at least balance out the Per Player funding.

Orchard park

AZ

does that include all juveniles ??

an interesting map But I find it hard to believe Cork accept the lowest grants in the country though

AZOffaly

It's not my graphic, but it does illustrate numbers I've read elsewhere. This is the one they are putting for registered players. I'd say it does include juveniles though because if you look at Tipperary say, and said there were 50 clubs. If each club fielded 3 adult teams, and each team had a full panel of 30, that would still only add up to 4,500, and the Tipp figure is 15,000

magpie seanie

Seriously low number of registered players in Dublin is it not?

magpie seanie

39k registered players in a population of 1,300,000 - about 3%. Sligo has approx 5k in a population of circa 60,000 - about 8.3%.

Maybe they need more money, still underperforming.  :P

AZOffaly

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 20, 2017, 11:32:51 AM

I don't know Seanie. I don't think Dublin has massive amount of clubs compared to the likes of Cork. I know some of the clubs have massive numbers alright, but then other clubs have much smaller numbers with no parish rule or whatever. Big clubs like Kilmacud, Vincents, Brigids and the like probably have massive numbers.

Again if we do the maths, there's approx 90 clubs in Dublin going by their website (including clubs like AIB, BOI etc).

39,000 divided by 90 is about 430 each. I'd imagine when you factor in big clubs and smaller clubs, that's about right.

magpie seanie

Quote from: AZOffaly on September 20, 2017, 11:41:16 AM
Quote from: magpie seanie on September 20, 2017, 11:32:51 AM

I don't know Seanie. I don't think Dublin has massive amount of clubs compared to the likes of Cork. I know some of the clubs have massive numbers alright, but then other clubs have much smaller numbers with no parish rule or whatever. Big clubs like Kilmacud, Vincents, Brigids and the like probably have massive numbers.

Again if we do the maths, there's approx 90 clubs in Dublin going by their website (including clubs like AIB, BOI etc).

39,000 divided by 90 is about 430 each. I'd imagine when you factor in big clubs and smaller clubs, that's about right.

Not contesting the accuracy of the numbers.....just that it's a low % of the population though. What would it be if they hadn't got the investment? I'm being a bit devils advocate here. I'd be interested in seeing playing numbers as a % of county population.

Rossfan

Quote from: magpie seanie on September 20, 2017, 11:37:02 AM
39k registered players in a population of 1,300,000 - about 3%. Sligo has approx 5k in a population of circa 60,000 - about 8.3%.

Ros has 1,600 more than Sligo I see.
Populations are Ros 64,544. Sligo 65,535.
Feckin soccer.....
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM