TV schedule 2018

Started by JoG2, May 04, 2018, 03:38:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GalwayBayBoy

Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. Once the competitions were reorganised last year it became clear that early Summer would be hurling heavy and late Summer would be football heavy.

Unfortunately the losers will probably be the smaller to mid level counties who may have received some TV coverage in the past in the provincial championships. They have been squeezed out practically altogether.

Kuwabatake Sanjuro

At least the premier league has the foresight to ensure all teams get a certain amount of their games televised.

Rossfan

Big difference between teams playing every week for 9 months and some teams getting to play only 2 games.
Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

johnnycool

Quote from: Kuwabatake Sanjuro on May 09, 2018, 09:35:41 PM
At least the premier league has the foresight to ensure all teams get a certain amount of their games televised.

On the Monday night graveyard slot!

I didn't see it coming but the hurling elite have played a blinder here, loads of coverage for them in May and June and then the two provincial finals on the box. Then a few dead rubbers as they give the Joe McDonagh teams their day in the sun (not on TV) and then decent coverage semi-finals and finals.

No TV for Offaly or any of the lower championships but that's nothing new in hurling.

And they wonder why the footballing counties don't want a tiered championship structure.
They'd be screwed royally but then again they already are!

tippabu

Quote from: johnnycool on May 10, 2018, 12:44:23 PM

I didn't see it coming but the hurling elite have played a blinder here, loads of coverage for them in May and June and then the two provincial finals on the box. Then a few dead rubbers as they give the Joe McDonagh teams their day in the sun (not on TV) and then decent coverage semi-finals and finals.

No TV for Offaly or any of the lower championships but that's nothing new in hurling.

And they wonder why the footballing counties don't want a tiered championship structure.

I don't know about playing blinders or whatever. For me it's more about revenue and gate receipts the reason behind the new structure in hurling. I'm sure they're happy to have extra tv games in the early part of the year. Same with the football and the super 8s. It will be interesting come the end of the year the total differences in attendances this year compared with last year

johnnycool

Quote from: tippabu on May 10, 2018, 01:04:06 PM
Quote from: johnnycool on May 10, 2018, 12:44:23 PM

I don't know about playing blinders or whatever. For me it's more about revenue and gate receipts the reason behind the new structure in hurling. I'm sure they're happy to have extra tv games in the early part of the year. Same with the football and the super 8s. It will be interesting come the end of the year the total differences in attendances this year compared with last year

It's almost certainly about revenue with everyone barring Waterford guaranteed two home games, heck even Galway get to play championship hurling in Salthill.

I'd suggest with the novelty factor this years attendance will be up especially in Munster where Tipp might be slightly ahead of the other 4, not by much, but the others will all fancy taking something off each other.
In Leinster I think Dublin and Offaly will be the whipping boys, but I hope to be proved wrong.

The timing of it has made it lucrative to the TV companies where they should get competitive games to screen.

sid waddell

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 09, 2018, 05:32:47 PM
On the 15th July there is going to be a lot of pissed off people as there's the hurling quarter finals and 2 super 8 games and they'll only be covering 2 of them, my guess is they'll show the hurling. What a shambles.

I believe there's another not insignificant sporting event on at 4pm that day.

johnnycool

Quote from: sid waddell on May 11, 2018, 10:15:41 AM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 09, 2018, 05:32:47 PM
On the 15th July there is going to be a lot of pissed off people as there's the hurling quarter finals and 2 super 8 games and they'll only be covering 2 of them, my guess is they'll show the hurling. What a shambles.

I believe there's another not insignificant sporting event on at 4pm that day.

Wimbledon?

omagh_gael

johnnycool

Quote from: omagh_gael on May 11, 2018, 01:13:18 PM
World cup final.

True,
  unless the mens final goes the full 5 sets as it starts at 2PM.

Maybe Croke Park should cancel all games that day. It's only fair.

Maroon Manc

What are the chances they won't ruin the Tyrone v Monaghan result on RTE for those who are hoping to avoid the result whilst still watching the hurling?

trailer

Quote from: Maroon Manc on May 16, 2018, 12:33:46 PM
What are the chances they won't ruin the Tyrone v Monaghan result on RTE for those who are hoping to avoid the result whilst still watching the hurling?

Do people still try and do this? It's impossible to avoid live scores. Whatsapp, twitter, TV, Facebook, Internet. I always laugh at the news, 'If you don't want to know the score, step out of the room now' Who does this???

JoG2

Quote from: trailer on May 17, 2018, 11:38:54 AM

Do people still try and do this? It's impossible to avoid live scores. Whatsapp, twitter, TV, Facebook, Internet. I always laugh at the news, 'If you don't want to know the score, step out of the room now' Who does this???

I managed this last Sunday for the Donegal Cavan game, hopefully do the same this Sunday. I'm not on any social media and stayed clear of this board 'til after the 7pm BBC 2 game.
Ballybofey was mentioned just once that I can remember during the Mayo Galway game.

AZOffaly

Quote from: trailer on May 17, 2018, 11:38:54 AM

I do. I avoided the Donegal/Cavan score all day until I watched the BBC2 deferred coverage.