Worthington wants anywhere but windsor

Started by Deal_Me_In, July 27, 2007, 11:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nifan

Well I tend to disagree, and I know a lot more of them than you.
I despise the scum element of our support as much as anyone, but your constant one-upmanship and bigotry is something i despise as well

nifan

QuoteThese twats are on ego trips wallowing in their own self importance afforded to them by a media that should really know better.

Sorry I just reread the thread and noticed this nugget from Tony Fearon. Pots and Kettle spring to mind

Chrisowc

Quote from: T Fearon on July 27, 2007, 12:56:29 PM
Inisceithleann your argument would hold water if indeed North of Ireland "fans" were indeed football fans. They are first and foremost staunch unionists/loyalists who use a so called international football team as a badge of political identity. Therein lies the crux of the problem

You still haven't explained how Northern Ireland fans display 'exclusively unionist symbols' from a previous thread.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

T Fearon

That old pots and kettle cliche is a bit worn. After all they are mostly silver these days, but then again someone with a 17th century mindset would hardly realise that

nifan

GweylTah

There are suggestions that, in any new stadium, only neutral flags and anthems will be flown / played.  How would this go down with GAA and more vociferous soccer people, I doubt if it would annoy the rugger buggers too much.

inisceithleann

As an strong irish nationalist, I have to accept that people on this island think of themselves as british, and are proud to sing 'their anthem'. Similarly i am a proud irish man and am proud to sing the irish anthem at GAA matches. That does not make me a bigot. Most catholics in the North support the ROI and i think we should continue to do so. I think we should let NI fans continue to support 'their national team'. The fact that they do so causes no offense to me. All supporting organisations has their fair few disgraceful fans but it is football at the end of the day. Lets not forget that.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

Chrisowc

Quote from: T Fearon on July 27, 2007, 01:14:20 PM
Not staunch loayalists?

Why then does the following take place:

Use of England's National Anthem.

There is no use of the English National Anthem.  It is the anthem of the United Kingdom.  Don't let facts get in the way of your prejudices.  Just a note on the anthem.  There is a continious debate among Northern Ireland fans on what anthem should be used.  Some in favour of leaving things as they (does not make them Staunch Loyalists btw) and others who would prefer something more specific to Northern Ireland.

Insertion of the words No Surrender into the aforementioned anthem

To be utterly condemned and indeed has been by many on OWC.

Continuous cries of No Surrender during games

Once again utter bollox.

Sacking their captain for organising an innocuous All Ireland team to play a friendly.

Lies

An Fear Rua

Are any of you ni fans unionists? or loyalists?
Its Grim up North

Chrisowc

Quote from: inisceithleann on July 27, 2007, 01:04:11 PM
They tried to get me to accompany them to a game but i politely declined. when i told them that i couldn't support the North as in my opinion it would be accepting the partition of ireland they accepted my argument. But i wouldn't say any of them used their support as a badge of political identity.

Do you support the Republic of Ireland football team?  If you do does this not show your acceptance in the partition of Ireland?

inisceithleann

Quote from: Chrisowc on July 27, 2007, 01:37:00 PM
They tried to get me to accompany them to a game but i politely declined. when i told them that i couldn't support the North as in my opinion it would be accepting the partition of ireland they accepted my argument. But i wouldn't say any of them used their support as a badge of political identity.

Do you support the Republic of Ireland football team?  If you do does this not show your acceptance in the partition of Ireland?

Yes I am a fan of the Republic of Ireland and yes in doing so it also recognises the partition of ireland? But it is a better alternative than supporing the North with there being no union jacks, british anthems etc, you have to accept that?
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

GweylTah

Quote from: T Fearon on July 27, 2007, 12:56:29 PM
Inisceithleann your argument would hold water if indeed North of Ireland "fans" were indeed football fans. They are first and foremost staunch unionists/loyalists who use a so called international football team as a badge of political identity. Therein lies the crux of the problem

I know what you mean, Mr Fearon.  Bishop Tony Farquhar always says that's why he's such a big fan of the Northern Ireland soccer team.

nifan

Quote from: An Fear Rua on July 27, 2007, 01:35:17 PM
Are any of you ni fans unionists? or loyalists?

Of course. Not everyone is "staunch" as tony claims:
QuoteThey are first and foremost staunch unionists/loyalists who use a so called international football team as a badge of political identity.

If i said that GAA fans where first and foremost republicans an the GAA is a badge of political identity how would that go down?

Chrisowc

Quote from: inisceithleann on July 27, 2007, 01:41:28 PM

Yes I am a fan of the Republic of Ireland and yes in doing so it also recognises the partition of ireland? But it is a better alternative than supporing the North with there being no union jacks, british anthems etc, you have to accept that?

Im not knocking you just interested in your take re supporting the Republic and the partition of Ireland.

Re flags & anthems.  There is a fan driven Sea of Green initiative and people have been encouraged not to take the Union Flag to internationals.  I have already explained the debate around the anthem.  I for one would prefer a change.

An Fear Rua

Quote from: inisceithleann on July 27, 2007, 01:41:28 PM
Quote from: Chrisowc on July 27, 2007, 01:37:00 PM

FAI can pick from any of the 32 counties ,hardly partitionist ......  ;)
Its Grim up North