Worthington wants anywhere but windsor

Started by Deal_Me_In, July 27, 2007, 11:47:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deal_Me_In

NI soccer manager says they need to get out of windsor:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/internationals/6918727.stm

Looks like the IFA are starting to change on the issue of a new stadium

nifan

I thought that the IFA was keen on a move from windsor anyway.

Sure they wrote to Linfield claiming breach of the ridiculous lease already.

mooncatiii

to be honest i think its the only logical solution they cant expext to have team appealing to the both sides of the community while its home ground is situated in th village, i no i wouldn feel safe goin to games there even i actually would have loved to have been at the england and spain games, th atmosphere in the ground seemed electric!
shazam

inisceithleann

Quote from: nifan on July 27, 2007, 11:51:07 AM
I thought that the IFA was keen on a move from windsor anyway.

Sure they wrote to Linfield claiming breach of the ridiculous lease already.

why is the lease between the IFA and linfield ridiculous? if linfield failed to comply with the covenant to repair then the IFA are entitled to terminate the lease and linfield it would seem have no-one to blame but themselves. I suppose you'd need to read the lease and see who expressly had to do what, but i doubt the IFA would have taken this action without good justification. Anyway i agree this is a messy situation alright and it it's clear that the IFA want rid of windsor. If you want to encourage anyone to go to NI games then you need a state of the art stadium with accessible access. The current location in south belfast clearly does not provide for this.
Life is a ticket to the greatest show on earth

T Fearon

Time to face facts. They only people who are opposed to moving from Windsor are the handful of hypocritical bigots on OWC who do not want to share a stadium with anyone of the catholic/irish tradition. Far too much time and space is allocated to these non entities, ffs their leader Mc Allister is on tv more often than Eamonn Holmes. These twats are on ego trips wallowing in their own self importance afforded to them by a media that should really know better. With a new stadium and jettisoning its unionist/loyalist exclusive baggage the IFA might lose a few hundred bigots and gain thousands of new fans potentially

inisceithleann

Quote from: T Fearon on July 27, 2007, 12:30:27 PM
Time to face facts. They only people who are opposed to moving from Windsor are the handful of hypocritical bigots on OWC who do not want to share a stadium with anyone of the catholic/irish tradition. Far too much time and space is allocated to these non entities, ffs their leader Mc Allister is on tv more often than Eamonn Holmes. These twats are on ego trips wallowing in their own self importance afforded to them by a media that should really know better. With a new stadium and jettisoning its unionist/loyalist exclusive baggage the IFA might lose a few hundred bigots and gain thousands of new fans potentially

I fail to understand why NI fans are oppossed to a move from Windsor. They could propose that it is their spiritual home but look at the clubs in england that have moved to knew stadiums. derby moved from the baseball ground to pride park and liverpool are moving to stanley park provided they get planning permission. why? because they recognise that of you want to attract fans and keep the current ones coming then you need proper facilities. Windsor is falling to pieces. I mean football is in the entertainment industry. Would anyone go to a run down cinema where you would be snookered if a fire broke out? no, so why is football stadia any different. The NI fans should be delighted that so much money is being thrown into this stadium when not much revenue is going to be produced. Economically thinking, spening so much on a stadium when NI can only muster 13,000 for big games does not make much sense. They should appreciate everything they are getting.

T Fearon

Inisceithleann your argument would hold water if indeed North of Ireland "fans" were indeed football fans. They are first and foremost staunch unionists/loyalists who use a so called international football team as a badge of political identity. Therein lies the crux of the problem

Great Leap Forward

Surely there is no reason to start another thread about Windsor while there is a perfectly good one about it already.

It's called 'The biggest shithole in Ireland'.

inisceithleann

Tony i take your point and that is one of the reasons i'll never attend one of the North's games. But in fairness I worked with a few of the them and they were decent enough fellas and they dispised some of the loyalist twits who made windsor a cold house for catholics, and many of them weren't staunch unionists. They tried to get me to accompany them to a game but i politely declined. when i told them that i couldn't support the North as in my opinion it would be accepting the partition of ireland they accepted my argument. But i wouldn't say any of them used their support as a badge of political identity.

nifan

QuoteThey are first and foremost staunch unionists/loyalists who use a so called international football team as a badge of political identity. Therein lies the crux of the problem

"I have never attacked the NI fans" - Seems like yesterday you said that, in fact I believe it was.
You are a complete joke - actually scratch that you are a bigot.

nifan

Quotewhy is the lease between the IFA and linfield ridiculous?

Because it is a lease which is for nigh on 100 years and enables linfield to 15% of all match day profits.
The IFA should never have entered into it.

T Fearon

Not staunch loayalists?

Why then does the following take place:

Use of England's National Anthem.

Insertion of the words No Surrender into the aforementioned anthem

Continuous cries of No Surrender during games

Sacking their captain for organising an innocuous All Ireland team to play a friendly.

It is more than a coincidence that support for the North of Ireland team har burgeoned in recent years as the political union with Britain has manifestly weakened. As a Scottish psychologist explained having a so called international football team is one of the last remaining comfort blankets remaining to unionists

nifan

Tony you have just claimed me, my family and friends are not football fans.
We are in fact staunch unionist/loyalists who use a so called international football team as a badge of political identity.

You dont think thats bigotry?

QuoteContinuous cries of No Surrender during games
That ones even laughable - ive never heard this in my time.

QuoteSacking their captain for organising an innocuous All Ireland team to play a friendly.
Discussed recently, and quite balls.

Chrisowc

Quote from: T Fearon on July 27, 2007, 12:30:27 PM

Time for you to face facts.  You talk utter bollox.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

T Fearon

No thats fact. As with every statement there are exceptions but I believe my description fits the typical North of Ireland soccer fan