mayo hurling

Started by the bucket, November 13, 2006, 02:09:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosnarun

QuoteThes figures are never disclosed but all involved in hurling know what it amounts to
Whats with all this secrecy in hurling . no one knows who you are here spit it out man.

I reckon though the real reason the hurling people are so beholden to the County board is financial and what ever money is raised within the county is from football. most of the monry they get from croker for hurling is for the promotion of the gsme not for the senior team and would have to be explained back to HQ. and i dont think hq would be impressed if it was all spent on meals training ect for rhe county team
If you make yourself understood, you're always speaking well. Moliere

Pietas

Quote from: stephenite on December 06, 2006, 10:28:27 PM
Quote from: the bucket on December 06, 2006, 09:48:51 AM
I have it from a reliable source  that the two reasons that they cant publish are as follows
(1) That they played an under 16 player in the u21 final but were only informed of this 20 minutes before the throw by the county board officials who indicated they were not sure whether he could play or not.
(2) and wait for it this one is definitely a sackable offence on an away trip the manager and selectors did not travel back on the bus.

Sweet mother of God, wouldn't it be great if it was a hurling issue that came up the arse of Feeney and bumped the hateful little f**ker out on his hole. I mean why would you bother playing hurling for Mayo ??
I cannot tell why they sacked him? Is this p***k for real

Solution is establishment of some form of independent fundraising for Mayo hurling.  County Board pays lip service to hurling because it's primary concern must be football.
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

the bucket

yes the problem is that the hurling people have no money every penny that comes in for hurling is lumped in with football money and used for football purposes.

I will give an example helmets and Hurley scheme 1/3 of what they got was given back to the clubs where did other 2/3 go. Mayo this year got more than €80,000 from croke park for hurling from what we know from other sources, take sponsorship in consideration and mayo hurling as probably making a profit but according to our friends in the Ku Klux Klan(mayo co board) we cost €140,000???  how can you win

AbbeySider

Mayo appoint new hurling boss
07 December 2006

Westport's Martin Brennan has been named as the new Mayo hurling manager in succession to Frank Browne, who was sacked in controversial circumstances last week.

Brennan served as a selector under Browne, who was critical of the county board's support for the hurlers. A former dual player with club and county, Brennan was a star footballer with St. Jarlath's College, Tuam and was also a national boxing champion in his youth.

Brennan will hope to build on the progress made in recent seasons with Mayo reaching the National League Division 2 semi-final earlier this year.

Pietas

I knew him long ago.  Good guy.  Great boxer
In Roman mythology, Pietas was the goddess of duty to one's state, gods and family.

neilthemac

for the scant money spent on the mayo hurling last year they got very good value for money in comparison to the football imo

the hurlers up there need to stand up for themselves and not take any more sh1te

Tubberman

Well, one thing is for certain - Mayo hurling has never had a higher profile!  :D
And no harm either
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

the bucket

county agm tonight in midfield cant wait to hear captain mainwaring report should keep us laughing for at least a week

Farrandeelin

I had a good chuckle a few days back in reading through this thread. I didn't want to revive it, but fair play hatchetfield for bringing Mayo hurling back into the limelight again! :D
Inaugural Football Championship Prediction Winner.

highking

Smart punters made a killing on the Mayo-Westmeath game last weekend. Mayo were 9/2, and many people in the know had a good few euro on them. they wont be as short a price this weekend. The element of surprise is now gone.

Plastic Paddy

Quote from: highking on May 22, 2009, 01:22:00 AM
Smart punters made a killing on the Mayo-Westmeath game last weekend. Mayo were 9/2, and many people in the know had a good few euro on them. they wont be as short a price this weekend. The element of surprise is now gone.
Is Derek walsh still hurling for you

highking

Sat 6th June
Semi Final: Down V Mayo
Pairc Esler, Newry, Time:3 30 pm,
Ref:Anthony Stapleton (Laois)
(E.T. if Necessary)

Tubberman

Sat 6th June
Semi Final: Down V Mayo
Pairc Esler, Newry, Time:3 30 pm,
Ref:Anthony Stapleton (Laois)
(E.T. if Necessary)

It's in Newry?? I thought the semi's were to be in a neutral venue this year (I know we had home advantage v Carlow last year).
It's going to be very tough for Mayo to win up in Newry
"Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall."

johnneycool

Newry is a neutral venue as the the Down hurlers only play on it twice a year and maybe train on it half a dozen times a year when they are allowed.

mckieran

QuoteNewry is a neutral venue as the the Down hurlers only play on it twice a year and maybe train on it half a dozen times a year when they are allowed.

Well, a neutral venue should be approximately the same distance from both counties. As Mayo will have a much longer journey, Down immediately have an advantage.