Drinking on a Sunday?

Started by DirtyDozen12, June 28, 2010, 11:21:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DirtyDozen12

Does many people here take much drink on a Sunday, even with work the next day?

Went to the BOT last night with a mate for a few Sunday night pints to get out of the house and to look around us.  We took it easy obviously as we where both working this morning, however, the amount of people that was full of drink on a Sunday night was surprising, i was thinking, do these people not have work in the morning or are they happy enough to take a rip of stuff and just go in dying on to work on a Monday morning?  I think Mondays are bad enough without tyring to put the day in at work with a hangover.  Know there was a lot of sport on yesterday but seems to be a reuglar occurance on a Sunday night for a lot of people!
Beer, now there's a temporary solution!!!

illdecide

I'm not one of them as i don't consume that much alcohol (special occasion drinker) but Sunday's around Lurgan is a big big drinking day and then Sunday night to finish it off
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

stephenite

Went through a period in my mid-late 20's and used to love a few pints of a Sunday evening during the championship - used head down to Fagans front bar, Kennedys or maybe even Hedigans around half seven and discuss the weekends sports and goings on with a few other exiles. Was probably at the right age where I could handle a few without having too much of a head on me the next morning, wouldn't get away with it now.

sammymaguire

I be in the south a right bit so its a total no no, the Garda Siochana has the random breathe testing now and the limit moved down to 50mg from 80mg you'd be crazy to do it and head out driving the next morning, Sunday or any other day
DRIVE THAT BALL ON!!

Franko

Sunday is without doubt the best day for the beer.  Usually head in for the cure on a Sunday morning when I'm 'at Mass' then home for the dinner.  Back in again aroud 3 to watch whatever sport is on.  On many's an occasion I have pushed the boat out too far though and ended up there post midnight.  Cue a long long Monday.

nrico2006

Strabane is a crazy place for the drink on a Sunday.  Its basically as much a drinking day if not more than a Saturday, and Sunday night is just seen as a Saturday night, everybody out, full and no real concern for the rise from the cot the next morning.  Lurgan seems to be not far behind it, and the Burn seems to be pretty packed on a Sunday night.  Sundays are hard to beat for the drink though.
'To the extreme I rock a mic like a vandal, light up a stage and wax a chump like a candle.'

Hurler on the Bitch

Was out nosying round Belfast last evening and big crowds were out enjoying quite a few outside the bars. I'd say most had been out for the England game and sat on. (Sad that as I'd wouldn't have gone out to my back garden to watch the match). The problem is that everyone goes out with good intentions (a wee cure, only one or two) but before you know it it is a full blown session. The thought occurred to me 'how the feck will they get up in the morning?' Seems to me that Sundays are a bit of a 'any match, any excuse' type of day. It was, i'm sure, a long, long Monday for many. My only observation is: where does all the money come from? Hate to be a kill-joy but the "weekender" is a standard now for many single people... bit of a live fast, die young, way to live - i.e. king of the weekend and skint the rest of the week.. I think that a lot of peope would deny that they drink too much but the culture of 'get it down ye' is sadly acceptable. Indeed, in many parts of Belfast there is a phenomena called 'The Monday Club' where those who cannot come down / recover from the weekend's excesses and still search for 'the cure' on Mondays. Have to draw the line somewhere as the in the long run it will get grind you down...

Zapatista

In Dublin it's called 'Drinking of a Sunday'.

AbbeySider

Quote from: Franko on June 28, 2010, 12:00:25 PM
Sunday is without doubt the best day for the beer.  Usually head in for the cure on a Sunday morning when I'm 'at Mass' then home for the dinner.  Back in again aroud 3 to watch whatever sport is on.  On many's an occasion I have pushed the boat out too far though and ended up there post midnight.  Cue a long long Monday.

+1

Super SunDAY Sessions are the best... when I do get the chance to drink.  :-[

Out early, drunk early, home relatively early.

haranguerer

f**k me - how do they work, where do they get the money, they're going down the road of addiction.... ???

In my experience, most of those who drink on Sundays work in bars or similar, and have been working fri and sat night. Add to that people who work shifts, and dont have to worry about monday mornings (or have us worry about them on their behalf), and then there are those, like many on here presumably, who play sport on sundays, and wont be taking any drink til after their game.

I wish I didnt work mondays, or else could handle hangovers, for its certainly the best day to drink, always a much more relaxed atmosphere about the place.

Brick Tamlin

About this time last year myself and a housemate decided to go to the bot for a few pints of a sunday night, just a few casual ones because of work the next day, but sure when we walked through the front doors it was like that scene from dirty dancin (so my mate said cuz ive never seen it like). Everyone was jumpin and leppin about to the fiddle-de-dee music, there was women on tables dancing, the crowd were goin nuts and everyone was pished as a fart.
There were no major sporting events on at the time and id thought all the students had gone home.
It was crazy but it was great craic but i just couldnt get my head around how so many mid to late 20 yr olds and older could be on the sauce so heaby on a sunday night.
Wished at the time that i had mondays off too.