Catholics voting DUP

Started by longballin, June 05, 2018, 11:54:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

longballin

Is the rush of Catholics to vote DUP being overstated? I see Bernie Smyth siddling up to Ian og on the front of the Irish News. The party that supported shoot to kill and whose founder ridiculed the pope as an 'anti Christ'.  What I have lived to see.

haranguerer

Christ, you haven't actually fallen for it, have you??

longballin

Quote from: haranguerer on June 05, 2018, 12:06:20 PM

I doubt there will be huge numbers but obviously there are some.

sid waddell

Quote from: longballin on June 05, 2018, 11:54:04 AM
Is the rush of Catholics to vote DUP being overstated? I see Bernie Smyth siddling up to Ian og on the front of the Irish News. The party that supported shoot to kill and whose founder ridiculed the pope as an 'anti Christ'.  What I have lived to see.
It seems to me there's a cohort of conservative Roman Catholics in the wee six - plenty on this forum - that have far more in common with the DUP than they do with the vast majority of Roman Catholics both in the wee six and in the Republic who don't take religion very seriously.

But abortion and to a lesser extent same sex marriage are issues which could deeply undermine unionism and particularly the DUP.

There is huge public support for reform of abortion laws in Northern Ireland.

Sinn Fein and the SDLP have already seen which way the wind is blowing on these issues.

The DUP will end up losing touch with their base on these issues in the same way the Roman Catholic Church lost touch.

Protestant, unionist women need abortions.

And there are plenty of gay Protestant, unionists too.

The forces which will modernise the laws on these issues in the wee six are going to rise inexorably in the near future and they will rise across all communities.

The backwoodsmen won't be able to hold back the tide forever.

longballin

Good post. Hope you're right.

NAG1

Quote from: sid waddell on June 05, 2018, 12:17:37 PM
It seems to me there's a cohort of conservative Roman Catholics in the wee six - plenty on this forum - that have far more in common with the DUP than they do with the vast majority of Roman Catholics both in the wee six and in the Republic who don't take religion very seriously.

But abortion and to a lesser extent same sex marriage are issues which could deeply undermine unionism and particularly the DUP.

Sinn Fein and the SDLP have already seen which way the wind is blowing on these issues.

The DUP will end up losing touch with their base on these issues in the same way the Roman Catholic Church lost touch.

The forces which will modernise the laws on these issues in the wee six are going to rise inexorably in the near future and they will rise across all communities.

Sid could you do us a favour and drop the Roman bit. It was and is used in a derogatory way by those backwoodsmen that you have described, so there is no need for us to take it on ourselves.

sid waddell

Quote from: NAG1 on June 05, 2018, 12:30:15 PM

Sid could you do us a favour and drop the Roman bit. It was and is used in a derogatory way by those backwoodsmen that you have described, so there is no need for us to take it on ourselves.
There are plenty of ways the Roman Catholic Church could be referred to which are much more derogatory than its actual name.

Orior

Quote from: longballin on June 05, 2018, 12:13:24 PM

Some? I would reckon you can count on the one hand, and they're probably like Ruth Dudley Edwards so no big loss.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Itchy

Well you know some should vote for them. I've always said that right wing religious nutters like Tony Fearon have more in common with the DUP than any other party on the island. Maybe in a United Ireland where the DUP will have to change and re-brand itself, they will indeed add religious nutters of all persuasions to their ranks.

johnnycool

Didn't know that myself, learn something every day..

As much as I don't doubt there may be devout Catholics who'd vote DUP purely on the abortion issue at the same time the DUP voters can't just be solely evangelical, right wing prods as there's every bit as many non attenders/believers in their voting strength as well.

Ian O'g and Arlene may be reading a bit too much into this one priests letter and the power he has over his congregation yet can ignore the other side of the argument that whilst DUP voters won't be moving over to the Shinners, they'll probably vote Alliance or the fence sitting UUP.

NAG1

Quote from: johnnycool on June 05, 2018, 01:41:07 PM

Didn't know that myself, learn something every day..

As much as I don't doubt there may be devout Catholics who'd vote DUP purely on the abortion issue at the same time the DUP voters can't just be solely evangelical, right wing prods as there's every bit as many non attenders/believers in their voting strength as well.

Ian O'g and Arlene may be reading a bit too much into this one priests letter and the power he has over his congregation yet can ignore the other side of the argument that whilst DUP voters won't be moving over to the Shinners, they'll probably vote Alliance or the fence sitting UUP.

If and I say it is a big IF this priest's letter exists and if Ian Og publishes it, I think it could cause more trouble for that parish than they realise. I would think the priest would come under severe pressure to be moved at the least.

SF I think have missed the trick on this one, there are lots of moderate Catholics who can see the progressive side of this and are willing to accept the will of the majority, but SF's celebratory tones after the result have angered a lot of these people.

Regardless of the outcome this was not an issue to be striking such tones over.

haranguerer

Quote from: longballin on June 05, 2018, 12:13:24 PM

Minuscule amounts who are a bit touched - like (second generation) immigrant 'britain first' voters

screenexile

The numbers would not be significant enough to sway any electoral mathematics I shouldn't think.

(Is it electoral mathematics or electoral math? I was going to say electoral math but figured it was a Yank term)

Rossfan

Davy's given us a dream to cling to
We're going to bring home the SAM

Puckoon