Hurling championship 2018

Started by seafoid, April 25, 2018, 07:46:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

imtommygunn

Quote from: AZOffaly on August 20, 2018, 10:12:04 AM
I tend to agree with that. I was afraid that the final was going to end up being a damp squib that the championship definitely didn't merit. My fears about Limerick's shooting came true, but I didn't expect Galway to suffer from the same malaise. That saved Limerick. The last 15 minutes rescued the game, and gave the championship the climax it deserved at the end.

There was one moment that summed up the 'new' Limerick attitude, and it happened very early in the game, maybe 2 or 3 minutes in. Cian Lynch won a ball on the ground, via a chop pickup (where you chop the sliotar into the ground and it comes up into your hand). I thought it was audacious and in the first few minutes I think it showed Limerick felt they were comfortable there. The fact he did it again in the last couple of minutes when the fat was was in the fire was unreal.

re Marty, he's too scripted. He has these monologues ready to go, and by hook or by crook he's going to get them in. He started on the Limerick victory speech way too early. Talking about Ballybrown, Kilmallock and ''Downtown Patrickswell" (FFS). I said to my wife that he was a bit early bringing out that speech. And as for the 'Linger' stuff, painful and forced. Marty's introduction on radio to the final last year was very good. It made the hair on your neck stand up. The problem there is it went viral, and I think Marty now feels everything has to have a 'moment'. Yesterday was a day when a few well placed words would have been enough as the emotion was obvious. but he had to go full blown soliloquy and he gilded the lily.

Lynch does that pickup a lot. Seems to be his trademark. He is a cracking wee player him and still very young.

I see on the belief thing that the sports psychologist Limerick have has been involved in winning all irelands with four different teams. She's from sligo.

seafoid

Quote from: Duine Eile on August 20, 2018, 01:11:46 PM
Galway were a team running on fumes yesterday and had no viable options to bring in really, Burke and Flynn were always going to come on but apart from them the bench was very bare. The job for Galway for the winter is to find those few extra players, Fintan Burke was immense for the u21s this year, I'm sure we'll see him and a few more brought in for the league. Disappointing to lose but losing to a team like Limerick who were in a similar position to ourselves last year makes it a bit easier. Well done Limerick!
Galway were very lucky with injuries last year especially down the spine of the team. I think we should get another all Ireland if the panel is boosted and injuries to key personnel are avoided.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU

NAG1

Quote from: seafoid on August 20, 2018, 06:25:23 PM
Galway were a team running on fumes yesterday and had no viable options to bring in really, Burke and Flynn were always going to come on but apart from them the bench was very bare. The job for Galway for the winter is to find those few extra players, Fintan Burke was immense for the u21s this year, I'm sure we'll see him and a few more brought in for the league. Disappointing to lose but losing to a team like Limerick who were in a similar position to ourselves last year makes it a bit easier. Well done Limerick!
Galway were very lucky with injuries last year especially down the spine of the team. I think we should get another all Ireland if the panel is boosted and injuries to key personnel are avoided.

Congrats to Limerick, was not a classic by any stretch but they wont give a hoot today. I called it for Galway but they did exactly what was feared and couldnt bring the intensity to match Limerick.

Still plenty left in that Galway team for a couple of years at least and there doesnt seem to be any slowing of the conveyor belt of talent either.

I think this opens it up perfectly for next year with 3/4 teams thinking they have a realistic shot at winning it.

Maroon Manc

I'm back home in Manchester after watching Galway loose to Monaghan, Dublin & Limerick so a very disappointing few weeks for me; Couldn't make it to Thurles for the semi so missed out on that too. Its very rare that anyone outside of the big 3 in Hurling or big 2 in Football that any other counties have an opportunity to win back to backs in either code so Sunday was naturally a disappointment.

Galway were very flat as were the fans, there was a huge difference in noise even when both teams were named in Croker. Galway needed to score a goal a lot earlier to get going, they desperately needed that spark that wasn't their for the first 70 minutes. I suspect its the 2 replays that did for Galway and they just weren't able to match a fresher Limerick team but we'll never know. The defence of the crown would have been planned meticulously but wouldn't have accounted for replays, I'm sure if O'Donoghue had known about the replays in advance he'd have given more game time to the fringe players during the round robin.

Looking forward to next year there's no reason why Galway shouldn't be challenging again, they'll need a few players to be pushing closer to that starting 15 and a few minor tactical changes but there's no rebuild required at all. The bookies have Galway favourites at are 5/2 for next year with Limerick next at 9/2.

seafoid

The GAA have handed September to club games and other sports. It is still quite warm and a while before back to school. It will take a bit of getting used to.

didlyi

Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 21, 2018, 02:03:13 PM
I'm back home in Manchester after watching Galway loose to Monaghan, Dublin & Limerick so a very disappointing few weeks for me; Couldn't make it to Thurles for the semi so missed out on that too. Its very rare that anyone outside of the big 3 in Hurling or big 2 in Football that any other counties have an opportunity to win back to backs in either code so Sunday was naturally a disappointment.

Galway were very flat as were the fans, there was a huge difference in noise even when both teams were named in Croker. Galway needed to score a goal a lot earlier to get going, they desperately needed that spark that wasn't their for the first 70 minutes. I suspect its the 2 replays that did for Galway and they just weren't able to match a fresher Limerick team but we'll never know. The defence of the crown would have been planned meticulously but wouldn't have accounted for replays, I'm sure if O'Donoghue had known about the replays in advance he'd have given more game time to the fringe players during the round robin.

Looking forward to next year there's no reason why Galway shouldn't be challenging again, they'll need a few players to be pushing closer to that starting 15 and a few minor tactical changes but there's no rebuild required at all. The bookies have Galway favourites at are 5/2 for next year with Limerick next at 9/2.

So what is is with Galway fans? They had good turnouts for the round robin games and I think they probably outnumbered Clare fans in the first match. Then all of a sudden when the cracks appeared, Clare outnumbered them 3 to 1 in the second game (some tickets still available) and demand for the final was nothing like it was last year in Galway. And needless to mention the football v Dublin?

manfromdelmonte

Quote from: didlyi on August 22, 2018, 07:31:26 PM
Quote from: Maroon Manc on August 21, 2018, 02:03:13 PM

So what is is with Galway fans? They had good turnouts for the round robin games and I think they probably outnumbered Clare fans in the first match. Then all of a sudden when the cracks appeared, Clare outnumbered them 3 to 1 in the second game (some tickets still available) and demand for the final was nothing like it was last year in Galway. And needless to mention the football v Dublin?
Galway film fleadh
Arts festival
Races

Then a family holiday
Summers in Galway are expensive

They played 8 games this summer.

From the Bunker

Ah, these things happen in cycles. Galway will probably have to wait a quarter of a century for the next one!

imtommygunn

I still think they will be the team to beat and they will be hungrier next year. They are still young enough too and have a conveyor belt of minor talent coming through.

seafoid

Quote from: From the Bunker on August 22, 2018, 09:07:57 PM

Ah, these things happen in cycles. Galway will probably have to wait a quarter of a century for the next one!
Wouldn't ye be more than happy with that?

https://youtu.be/0ver0lMNMgw

Last year was magical

didlyi

Galway still dont have a real goal treat in their forwards. Sure one of them pops up from time to time but they are lacking  a permananet threat in the full forward line. They have won alot fo games firing over points from way out the field. That didnt work on Sunday and there seemed to be no plan B.

mouview

Quote from: didlyi on August 23, 2018, 02:38:15 PM
Galway still dont have a real goal treat in their forwards. Sure one of them pops up from time to time but they are lacking  a permananet threat in the full forward line. They have won alot fo games firing over points from way out the field. That didnt work on Sunday and there seemed to be no plan B.

Not quite true; they scored more goals this year than last. Whelan, Conor Cooney, Cathal Mannion, JC, even Glynn, more than capable of hitting the net. It's a tactical approach that needs to be worked on. In the opening games v Offaly and KK they seemed to be more consciously going for goals, but that seemed to fade as the year wore on.

Minder

"When it's too tough for them, it's just right for us"

AZOffaly

Quote from: Minder on August 26, 2018, 07:05:31 PM
Big shock Tipp winning

Mighty shot in the arm for Tipp. Serious guts in that team.