Racist attacks in Belfast

Started by ludermor, June 17, 2009, 10:01:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

D4S

Quote from: NAG1 on June 17, 2009, 10:50:37 AM
D4S Hope that wasnt a dig at my point as I was referring to the thugs who were bullying these people claiming the benefits?

No NAG1 I know you were referring to the workshy thugs, I was making a general statement regards the point of view you hear from people up and down the country saying 'what are they doing here claiming our benefits, go back to their own country'....I was making the point that they have to be here minimum 12 months and paying taxes before they can get any benefits.
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

Trevor Hill

I find it strange that the police can say that none of these attacks are linked and they are not part of an orchestrated campaign. I suppose its a bit like sectarianism, they still turn a blind eye to it as well. You would wonder what side the police are actually on?
Great to see those at the rally yesterday turn on these little scumbags and give chase.

full back

Quote from: D4S on June 17, 2009, 10:54:31 AM
I was making the point that they have to be here minimum 12 months and paying taxes before they can get any benefits.

I understand what you are saying & at the risk of sounding like a racist, why would you move your family over here if you had no work, no house, no fcuk all?

Orior

Quote from: Yes I Would on June 17, 2009, 10:53:03 AM
The unionist politicans condemnation of this is deafening.

Pure hatred is all it is!!
These pro-nazi hoods no doubt will be wearing proudly their poppies in another few months to display their britishness, to remember the fallen of  WWII, when, thats right the nazis and fascism were crushed.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the hoods will also be at Windsor supporting OWC.
Cover me in chocolate and feed me to the lesbians

Chrisowc

Quote from: lfdown2 on June 17, 2009, 10:42:49 AM
Quote from: Chrisowc on June 17, 2009, 10:40:26 AM
Quote from: haveaharp on June 17, 2009, 10:32:06 AM
Quote from: Chrisowc on June 17, 2009, 10:29:40 AM
Totally disgusted by this.

You would wonder what the combined brain cell count of these numbskulls would add up to.

Why is it that predominately this sort of shit always comes from unionists?

I'm sure nationalists are equally disgusted.

in all honesty chris not a point scoring exercise, though it does appear to be more of a problem in loyalist areas (maybe im wrong) - I too was wondering why this would be?

I'm not sure why this is.  I wouldn't feel too comfortable living there and would expect a few strange looks from some of the locals (at best).  Maybe they just don't like outsiders?

Generally, I would say Northern Ireland (maybe all of Ireland) is a fairly racist place.  I'm not talking about physical attacks on people just from day to day conversations with people.  Some of the ignorant comments and attitudes I hear from time to time make me despair.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

YogiBear

Racist brainless scumbags who haven't a clue who or what they believe in.  The same thugs that are intimidating the foreigners with Nazi salutes and slogans are the same scumbags that put up the Israeli flags in the area during the conflict in Gaza.   ???

Derry Dolly

i agree D4S, its shocking the way people in this country treat foreign nationals,as if they are alien almost..esp those from the likes of romania,poland,latvia etc.
i notice even in the work place,the racist comments being made,mostly in jest but not always. there is a scary number of people on this island that believe they should all be sent home (this was before the recession hit) yet they were unwilling to do the jobs,the "foreigners"  gladly took what they could get and got on with it.
in addition, in my work there were redundancies a few months back and some locals were laid off ahead off the foreign nationals,gave off stink ofcourse, but it was these people that refused any overtime and took 3times as long to get the job done!
think people here are forgetting that we all (well alot of us) have friends/family etc living illegally in america?and the droves of irish that went there wen there was nothing here. thats exactly what these people are trying to do..better themselves and save a bit of money to eventually go home and have a half decent life.
rant over >:(

nifan

From a report (back in 2002) about racism in belfast:

"This may be a reflection of racist attitudes but more likely it reflects the fact that housing is more readily available in Protestant working class areas than in Catholic working class areas."

The indication would be there are more minorities in the protestant areas, and therefore statistically greater chances of attack.

the combat 18 element cant be ignored either.

Chrisowc

Quote from: Orior on June 17, 2009, 10:56:55 AM
Quote from: Yes I Would on June 17, 2009, 10:53:03 AM
The unionist politicans condemnation of this is deafening.

Pure hatred is all it is!!
These pro-nazi hoods no doubt will be wearing proudly their poppies in another few months to display their britishness, to remember the fallen of  WWII, when, thats right the nazis and fascism were crushed.

You can bet your bottom dollar that the hoods will also be at Windsor supporting OWC.

What kept you Orior?  I was expecting the blame to be put on Norn Iron fans long before post 18.
it's 'circle the wagons time again' here comes the cavalry!

nifan

Quote from: Orior on June 17, 2009, 10:56:55 AM

And the romanians, having seen the craic amongst the ROI fans will be off ot he world cup and happyness.
We could have a play about it.

D4S

Quote from: full back on June 17, 2009, 10:56:32 AM
Quote from: D4S on June 17, 2009, 10:54:31 AM
I was making the point that they have to be here minimum 12 months and paying taxes before they can get any benefits.

I understand what you are saying & at the risk of sounding like a racist, why would you move your family over here if you had no work, no house, no fcuk all?

Romanian winter can be -25.  These people are living in poverty, and are coming here to try and get work to better themselves.  Listened to a lady on the radio earlier explaining this, saying she goes over every year in July for 2 weeks to help poor romanians.  She said the houses can be stone houses in the mountains with no windows and in -25 winter I think I'd want to go elsewhere.  She put a challenge up to any of these thugs who wanted to, they could go with her this year on the 12th July and she will pay for their ticket, to see at firsthand what these people are leaving!! I think the same thugs will be too hungover that day from burning effigys (spelling) of the pope the night before.
The secret of success in life is for a man to be ready for his opportunity when it comes.

haveaharp

Quote from: nifan on June 17, 2009, 10:59:13 AM
From a report (back in 2002) about racism in belfast:

"This may be a reflection of racist attitudes but more likely it reflects the fact that housing is more readily available in Protestant working class areas than in Catholic working class areas."

The indication would be there are more minorities in the protestant areas, and therefore statistically greater chances of attack.

the combat 18 element cant be ignored either.

Do you mean combat 18 (i.e the organisation) ? Are you saying its more orchestrated ?

illdecide

Lads if you think this is just happening in Protestant areas then you are mistaken, catholic areas have their racists too and i have seen it with my own two eyes. It boils down to un-educated hoods who themselves are claiming benifits and have nothing else better to do with their time than bully the minority
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

D4S

Quote from: illdecide on June 17, 2009, 11:06:37 AM
Lads if you think this is just happening in Protestant areas then you are mistaken, catholic areas have their racists too and i have seen it with my own two eyes. It boils down to un-educated hoods who themselves are claiming benifits and have nothing else better to do with their time than bully the minority

Agree Illdecide of course it happens in Catholic areas too, in this instance it's in a protestant area.  Hence my comment above about the 12th July, based on the lady speaking this morning.

Though I have to say there is an obvious C18, Loyalist element involved in a lot of this abuse of foreign nationals.  The Polish were certainly not blameless in March around Windsor Park, but the innocent polish residents of the village area were, and were attacked for just being polish.

lfdown2

Quote from: illdecide on June 17, 2009, 11:06:37 AM

i know its not illdecide was just wondering at what does seem to be more prevalent in certain areas (ie the village) though nifans post seems to have cleared up why that is.

there is no doubt in my mind that in general ireland north and south is amoung the most racist countries I have visited whether that be through comments or actions. As Derry Dolly says this is a pity considering the treatment many irish got abroad.

Why were we leaving a poor country with no job or home to go to.....perhaps because we thought we were going to better things?