Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

haranguerer

Quote from: GJL on June 15, 2016, 12:32:13 AM
Quote from: oakleaflad on June 14, 2016, 07:24:28 PM
Thinking of booking a weekend away for myself and the other half. We would usually just book these in Ireland so wouldn't be overly well travelled. Any recommendations for a nice city to visit on the continent?

Me and her head to London usually once a year for a long weekend. Loads to see and do. I've been to plenty of European Cities and I still think London one of the best.

Without doubt.

illdecide

Think Barcelona is top notch myself but have never been to Rome and would like to try it out sometime soon. Any of you ever been to Florence? dunno why but i've always wanted to try it.
I can swim a little but i can't fly an inch

muppet

Quote from: illdecide on June 15, 2016, 11:22:13 AM
Think Barcelona is top notch myself but have never been to Rome and would like to try it out sometime soon. Any of you ever been to Florence? dunno why but i've always wanted to try it.

Did a day trip when in Tuscany for a wedding for a few days. Well worth seeing.
MWWSI 2017

maddog

Quote from: JoG2 on June 15, 2016, 10:47:08 AM
Quote from: maddog on June 15, 2016, 10:25:59 AM
Bologna is a superb place for a long weekend. Lots to see, food is superb and much less expensive than Rome. Airport is very close to city as well. You can take the train across to Florence for a day trip as well. Cannot recommend highly enough.

I didn't find Rome overly expensive. The Vatican and Colosseum are pretty much the only 2 things you have to pay to see. Some class wee restaurants in the old part that are cheap to eat and drink carafe's of wine in...unbelievable city. Some of the car parking is crazy .

Sorry should have been clearer. Lots of places in Rome not too expensive but i still found Bologna much cheaper and probably more of a selection as its the gastro capital of Italy apparently. Only had the day in Florence but enough to convince me to go back and take probably 3 days at it.

Under Lights

Booked Salthill. Galway bay hotel. Weekend of 9th of July.

Rois

I think if you're just dipping your toe in the water of European city breaks, London, Paris and Rome have got to be up there.
There are so many familiar "sights" that can contribute to a good itinerary to plan your days well while you work out what you like best about city breaks. 

Tony Baloney

Quote from: muppet on June 15, 2016, 11:24:03 AM
Quote from: illdecide on June 15, 2016, 11:22:13 AM

Did a day trip when in Tuscany for a wedding for a few days. Well worth seeing.

ziggy90

Quote from: maddog on June 15, 2016, 11:43:42 AM
Bologna is a superb place for a long weekend. Lots to see, food is superb and much less expensive than Rome. Airport is very close to city as well. You can take the train across to Florence for a day trip as well. Cannot recommend highly enough.

I didn't find Rome overly expensive. The Vatican and Colosseum are pretty much the only 2 things you have to pay to see. Some class wee restaurants in the old part that are cheap to eat and drink carafe's of wine in...unbelievable city. Some of the car parking is crazy .

Sorry should have been clearer. Lots of places in Rome not too expensive but i still found Bologna much cheaper and probably more of a selection as its the gastro capital of Italy apparently. Only had the day in Florence but enough to convince me to go back and take probably 3 days at it.

There's more to sightseeing than restaurants Maddog??  :D
Questions that shouldn't be asked shouldn't be answered

JoG2

Quote from: ziggy90 on June 15, 2016, 01:28:12 PM

horse it inte ye Cynthia !

oakleaflad

Quote from: armaghniac on June 14, 2016, 09:24:58 PM
Quote from: oakleaflad on June 14, 2016, 07:24:28 PM
Thinking of booking a weekend away for myself and the other half. We would usually just book these in Ireland so wouldn't be overly well travelled. Any recommendations for a nice city to visit on the continent?

We'd need more information. What are you after, sightseeing, weather, food, music? Do you want a place that you can see  somewhat in a weekend or a place that you only have time for the highlights (Rome wasn't seen in a day).  Is cost important?
Thanks for all of the suggestions so far folks.

On the above:
Sightseeing - Hope to see some sights during the day so that would be pretty important.
Food - Would be fairly important too. Somewhere that's nice for a bite to eat and a beer in the evenings.
Weather - Would be a bonus but not a big factor.
Music - Not too bothered.
Cost - The cheaper the better if it can be done but probably not a determining factor.

Another thing I have been thinking on is the language barrier. How have people found communicating in these cities when they don't know the native language? Do some have more English speaking people than others?

maddog

Quote from: ziggy90 on June 15, 2016, 01:28:12 PM

Correct, but after tramping around a city for 6 hours you do need some quality refuelling would you not agree ? Like lamb chops in the fiddlers in Ballagh for example.

armaghniac

Quote from: oakleaflad on June 15, 2016, 03:07:03 PM
On the above:
Sightseeing - Hope to see some sights during the day so that would be pretty important.
Food - Would be fairly important too. Somewhere that's nice for a bite to eat and a beer in the evenings.
Weather - Would be a bonus but not a big factor.
Music - Not too bothered.
Cost - The cheaper the better if it can be done but probably not a determining factor.

Another thing I have been thinking on is the language barrier. How have people found communicating in these cities when they don't know the native language? Do some have more English speaking people than others?

The timing is important. Notwithstanding HardStation's experience, the likes of Rome, Barcelona or even Lisbon can be very hot for the next couple of months, but it might be nice to go Copenhagen or Stockholm and enjoy the long evenings.

I don't think you'll have any problems communicating in the major places mentioned, especially as if it your first time you'll tend to be around well known sights.
If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

illdecide

But even the English speaking people will not understand the Derry accent ;)...Only messin.

Doing Geneva in 4 weeks time and then over into France to roll down the Alps so that should be nice, def have to try Rome and Paris sometime soon.

heffo

Quote from: illdecide on June 15, 2016, 03:35:22 PM
Doing Geneva in 4 weeks time and then over into France to roll down the Alps so that should be nice, def have to try Rome and Paris sometime soon.

I've been working in Switzerland since the new year - not a huge pile to see in Geneva and bring your wallet!

illdecide

Quote from: heffo on June 15, 2016, 03:50:29 PM
Quote from: illdecide on June 15, 2016, 03:35:22 PM

I've been working in Switzerland since the new year - not a huge pile to see in Geneva and bring your wallet!

Jasus Heffo don't be telling me that...i'm away with 3 other tights bastids. They'll have a stroke