Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Beffs

Quote from: muppet on March 15, 2016, 06:33:07 PM
Quote from: Beffs on March 14, 2016, 07:12:38 PM
If you go to Howth on a nice, sunny day at the weekend, the traffic jams can be horrendous.

If you have a 6 mo you will be up early enough not to worry about traffic. Sunday morning has the markets and you can usually see seals in the west harbour.

Yeah, if you can be up and at it, while everyone else is still having their morning coffee, you'll beat most of the traffic. If you're only heading out there around lunch time, you can be waiting half an hour to get thru Sutton Cross alone. A good thing to do is to turn right at Sutton Cross and drive up to the Summit. There are smashing views out over Dublin Bay, the Wicklow Mountains to the south and the Cooley/Mourne Mountains to the North. Then drive down to the village and have some grub & say hello to the seals.

omaghjoe

Quote from: 50fiftyball on March 11, 2016, 01:56:02 PM
San Diego always seems a very expensive place to fly to any time I've priced it..any reason for this? Accomodation in Vegas is very cheap in July, but the flights aren't really. Looking at September instead..
I was thinking of LA as a base airport, as going to san diego from vegas would mean having to drive back up to LV for the flight home because of the price!

San Diego was discussed before here..

Quote from: omaghjoe on June 02, 2015, 04:18:40 PM

Pretty sure flights are pricey cos its a small airport in San Diego. LAX would be a better option as there is actually direct flight to Dublin with Ethiopia airlines at the moment, or I think Air Lingus is reopening the route this summer. You could also try Orange county which is an hourish (depending on traffic) south of LAX which would be better if your coming from San Diego but youd have to transfer.

On the other hand although I like San Diego I would say it doesnt have a patch on San Francisco but thats only my opinion of course

bannside

My sister lives near Sutton Cross Beffs and anytime we are down (often enough) we end up in the Summit. Food great and Guinness to die for. Great spot alright.

Rois

Anyone spent much time in Colorado and/or visited Zion or Bryce Canyon in Utah? Thinking of a summer holiday in this area and there seems to be so much to see and do. Need to narrow down the list.

AZOffaly

Have you ever done Havasupai falls in Arizona? If you like that sort of landscape, then that's a must. Also, a boating excursion/houseboat rental on Lake Powell would be lovely as well.

Rois

Thanks, will have a look at those.

AZOffaly

To whet your appetite...

Maroon Manc

Had a few days in the Algarve last week, couldn't believe how cheap it was.

giveherlong

algarve- cheap for food, drink accommodation? What part were you in?

Maroon Manc

Quote from: giveherlong on May 16, 2016, 05:31:02 PM
algarve- cheap for food, drink accommodation? What part were you in?

Praia Da Rocha, 2 euro's a pint until 9 and 2.50 afterwards as long as I stuck to Sagres & Superbock. 3 course meals in most places for 10 euro's. There were several places that did food and drink even cheaper.

Muck Savage

Quote from: Rois on April 03, 2016, 08:14:07 PM
Anyone spent much time in Colorado and/or visited Zion or Bryce Canyon in Utah? Thinking of a summer holiday in this area and there seems to be so much to see and do. Need to narrow down the list.

Depends what you are into. Arch's National park is really cool place. Don't go to Salt Lake city, in the summer the smell is terrible from the lake, dead town also. It is a beautiful part of the world, but depends on if your into hiking, mtn biking or something else then recommendations will vary.

The wife an I took 3 weeks off a few years ago, flew into Vegas and rented a car. Hit Hoover Dam (112F), Antelope Canyon, Grand Canyon, Monument valley, Arch's NP (cool town Moab), Salt Lake city (left after one night there), Jackson, Tetons, Yellowstone, Bighorn National forest, Deadwood (Black Hills), Wounded Knee, Mount Rushmore and flew back from Rapid City. Camped the whole way except the 1st night in Vegas and the last 3 nights just outside Deadwood.
It was a great trip and I'd love to do again with the Kids. So many people over here don't know the beauty of the country side here. The coolest place we stayed was a campsite in Monument Valley, Sunset and sunrise were beautiful. Arch's was one of the best hikes but if you can go to Antelope Canyon you will get great pictures.

Rois

Thanks all - a few of those places are now on the list. Itinerary starting to take shape. Denver - Aspen - Grand Junction (wine town for me  :) ), Ouray Hot Springs, then down to Monument Valley, Page for Lake Powell and Antelope Canyon, Zion and Bryce (hike Angel's Landing according to himself), then Vegas. And that's the first half, phew! So much to see.

omaghjoe

Are you headin in the summer Rois? Is it not gonna be roasting or prehaps most of that area is at altitude?

Rois

Most of it is at altitude (Zion similar to the Alpine towns I've visited in summer) - we're going in September which I'm hoping will be bearable, we'll hike in the mornings and avoid midday sun.

seafoid

I would recommend Dole and Pontarlier . Eastern France, near the Swiss Border. the Chateau de Joux is a fabulous medieval castle with a moat and the full monty. Toussaint Louverture who led the slave revolt in Haiti was imprisoned there.

The area has very nice food and reasonable prices. Loads of stuff for kids.

Dole is 1 hour way from the Burgundy cote d'or for the wine as well.
"f**k it, just score"- Donaghy   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IbxG2WwVRjU