Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LeoMc

Quote from: johnneycool on May 06, 2015, 04:32:51 PM
Looking to hire a car in Italy for a few days.

Whats the pitfalls? Should I take out an insurance policy to cover the excess in case of a crash?

When are you goling? New regulations regarding Licences coming into effect from 08 June.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-32481382

armaghniac

If at first you don't succeed, then goto Plan B

Canalman

For the life of me I can't understand why you would want to go and hire a car on holidays and then drive in a city. Stressful enough I would have thought especially, especially driving in cities in Italy for example.

Holidays for me are about relaxing and chilling out.

DennistheMenace

Quote from: Canalman on May 07, 2015, 10:23:21 AM
For the life of me I can't understand why you would want to go and hire a car on holidays and then drive in a city. Stressful enough I would have thought especially, especially driving in cities in Italy for example.

Freedom to go where you want when you want, just because a holiday for you is about chilling out, it could be about exploring and going off the beaten track for the next man.

johnneycool

Quote from: DennistheMenace on May 07, 2015, 11:12:29 AM

Freedom to go where you want when you want, just because a holiday for you is about chilling out, it could be about exploring and going off the beaten track for the next man.

Flying into Rome and driving down to Tuscany region. Might have a wee drive round there, but wouldn't consider anything else. Driving on the right had me all over the place in Den Haag one night, over tram lines, the lot. Will avoid at all costs!!

Transfer to the hotel and back were mad prices!

DennistheMenace

Quote from: johnneycool on May 07, 2015, 11:34:30 AM

Flying into Rome and driving down to Tuscany region. Might have a wee drive round there, but wouldn't consider anything else. Driving on the right had me all over the place in Den Haag one night, over tram lines, the lot. Will avoid at all costs!!

Florence and Sienna are beautiful, you'll have a great time in Tuscany.

Franko

Looking for a bit of help please...

Where's the best airport to fly into from Belfast/Dublin for visiting Tuscany?

heffo

Quote from: Franko on May 07, 2015, 01:46:13 PM

Pisa - Ryanair only though

Otherwise fly into LDV and get a train..

muppet

Quote from: heffo on May 07, 2015, 02:08:03 PM

I was at a wedding in Tuscany and flew into Bologna, hired a car and had a comfortable 2 hour drive to the coast. Rome is further depending on where in Tuscany you want to go. A car is handy because you can drive to Pisa for a day or two and then do time in Florence which is close enough too.

Check Milan and Turin, as well as the above mentioned airports, on the dates you want to travel, it might mean an hours extra drive, but you could save €100 ew on the tickets depending how flexible your dates are.
MWWSI 2017

blewuporstuffed

Anyone been to Iceland?
Any recomendations or advice?

.........settles in and wait for all the 'mums gone to iceland jokes'
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

Franko

Quote from: muppet on May 07, 2015, 02:11:55 PM
Quote from: heffo on May 07, 2015, 02:08:03 PM

I was at a wedding in Tuscany and flew into Bologna, hired a car and had a comfortable 2 hour drive to the coast. Rome is further depending on where in Tuscany you want to go. A car is handy because you can drive to Pisa for a day or two and then do time in Florence which is close enough too.

Check Milan and Turin, as well as the above mentioned airports, on the dates you want to travel, it might mean an hours extra drive, but you could save €100 ew on the tickets depending how flexible your dates are.

Thanks lads, super stuff.

foxcommander

Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 07, 2015, 02:14:54 PM
Anyone been to Iceland?

Been a while so it's probably changed a lot. A trip to the blue lagoon is a must, going at nighttime was fun. iceland at night in only a pair of shorts...

pints were bloody expensive from recollection at the irish bar.
Every second of the day there's a Democrat telling a lie

blewuporstuffed

Quote from: foxcommander on May 07, 2015, 02:46:45 PM
Quote from: blewuporstuffed on May 07, 2015, 02:14:54 PM
Anyone been to Iceland?

Been a while so it's probably changed a lot. A trip to the blue lagoon is a must, going at nighttime was fun. iceland at night in only a pair of shorts...

pints were bloody expensive from recollection at the irish bar.

COnsidering going for a few days this summer.
Flights from belfast are cheap, although it seems to be quite expensive when you get there
I can only please one person per day. Today is not your day. Tomorrow doesn't look good either

LeoMc

Pisa. If Jet2 still fly there from Belfast.

LeoMc

Quote from: johnneycool on May 07, 2015, 11:34:30 AM

I did the reverse a few years ago. Flew to Pisa with Jet2. Hired a car and spent a few days driving round Sienna, Florence, San Gimagnano, etc. then drove down to Rome. Wasn't mad enough to try driving in Rome so I drove to a small village on the outskirts and took the train in.