Holidays

Started by Oakleafer93, June 03, 2009, 01:17:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Milltown Row2

Just back from Tenerife, stayed at Gran Oasis in Play de Americas.. Great family hotel. Can't imagine being in Tenerife during the summer, heat unbearable at times this week!
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 10, 2015, 11:26:57 PM
Just back from Tenerife, stayed at Gran Oasis in Play de Americas.. Great family hotel. Can't imagine being in Tenerife during the summer, heat unbearable at times this week!

Just arrived back last night myself. I thought the heat was perfect this week. Cold at night though! You're right about the summer though, it would be like an oven. It's always a bit too uncomfortable and a struggle to lie out When it's in the 30s.

Rois

Quote from: giveherlong on April 10, 2015, 06:48:17 PM
Any good hotel\appartment self catering recommendations in Albuferia?
Stayed in a hotel called Vila Gale Cerro Alagoa - fifteen mins walk down a hill to the old town, a bit further from the strip.
Good value as we went all inclusive which meant drinks by the pool all covered.  Food wasn't great, we ate out most nights but was fine for lunch (always chips available...). 
I'm sure there are nicer places but the pool area was really good and it was a nice walk to the old town.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on April 11, 2015, 12:46:04 PM

Just arrived back last night myself. I thought the heat was perfect this week. Cold at night though! You're right about the summer though, it would be like an oven. It's always a bit too uncomfortable and a struggle to lie out When it's in the 30s.

You bring a Gaa kit bag on the plane?? I was sitting couple seats behind you if you did
None of us are getting out of here alive, so please stop treating yourself like an after thought. Ea

JimStynes

Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 12, 2015, 09:24:56 AM

You bring a Gaa kit bag on the plane?? I was sitting couple seats behind you if you did

i did indeed! Thomas Cook plane?

laoislad

Going on our first family summer holiday Friday week.
3 year old and a 1 year old on a 4hr flight..
Any tips? Plenty of Peppa Pig on the iPad I suppose is a start.

I've wondered are they are too young to be taking anywhere abroad but the wife insisted we were going!
When you think you're fucked you're only about 40% fucked.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on April 12, 2015, 12:49:54 PM
Quote from: Milltown Row2 on April 12, 2015, 09:24:56 AM

i did indeed! Thomas Cook plane?

Yeah, was just behind you.. We'd been 2 years to same area, great craic... Captain coming out saying its ok we've two pilots was bit strange/funny

JimStynes

Anyone been to Nice or South of France area? Thinking of heading for a week in July. We have free flights to use so only need to pay for accommodation.

Any recommendations where to stay or good hotels to stay at?

gerrykeegan

Quote from: laoislad on April 12, 2015, 06:23:17 PM

I've wondered are they are too young to be taking anywhere abroad but the wife insisted we were going!
There was a thing called the Airport Genie when we went last year. We paid about 14 quid (for two adults and two kids)and there was no going through that big long queue  at security, you went straight to the top of security. My youngest doesn't do waiting so it was worth every penny. I goggled it a minute ago but couldn't see it. The golf is on so so can't be arsed!!
2007  2008 & 2009 Fantasy Golf Winner
(A legitimately held title unlike Dinny's)

Jeepers Creepers

Quote from: JimStynes on April 12, 2015, 08:38:00 PM
Anyone been to Nice or South of France area? Thinking of heading for a week in July. We have free flights to use so only need to pay for accommodation.

Me & the wife went to Nice for one of our wedding anniversarys. Great spot, will be very warm at that time. Hard to pick a hotel in Nice so try a go on recommendation. We paid a few pound extra for a four star around a few minutes walk into town from promenade and it was just alright. Good hotels cost abit and the ordibary ones are 10 a penny. Easy place to dander around and great transport by train or bus if you want to head along the coast to monte Carlo etc. beach is pebble but great?

Rois

Quote from: Jeepers Creepers on April 12, 2015, 09:22:36 PM

We paid a few pound extra for a four star around a few minutes walk into town from promenade and it was just alright.

Had the same experience last July - paid a wee bit extra. Hotel was nice, room was modern, 5 min walk from bus to airport and 15 min to train station. Hotel Windsor.
You could stay a few days in Nice and a couple outside on the train line towards Cannes (or in Cannes itself/St Tropez).
It's not a spot to go to if you like lounging beside the pool as you'll pay loads for it.

JoG2

Quote from: laoislad on April 12, 2015, 06:23:17 PM

Not too young.  We've had our youngins away at 1 year old. Always a wee gamble to how they will take to the flying. Plenty of snacks on top of the I pad and colouring books. I take it the 1 year old is on the knee? Pack a wee pillow if possible, plane should have blankets.  pick a seat near toilet / changing area as you don't wanna be a good bit away and be stuck behind the trolleys if in need of a pit stop.

Be very paranoid when applying the sun block. Plenty and often as even a wee bit of sun burn will make sleeping a torture and don't wake hungover ! 4 hr flight,  canary islands? Will be hot. Get up and out to the beach / pool for about 8 am. Stay in the shade from 11 onwards. Back to the pool / beach later on. Hard to beat. We're just looking ourselves. Not too many bargains out there

JimStynes

Quote from: Rois on April 12, 2015, 09:41:56 PM

We paid a few pound extra for a four star around a few minutes walk into town from promenade and it was just alright.

Had the same experience last July - paid a wee bit extra. Hotel was nice, room was modern, 5 min walk from bus to airport and 15 min to train station. Hotel Windsor.
You could stay a few days in Nice and a couple outside on the train line towards Cannes (or in Cannes itself/St Tropez).
It's not a spot to go to if you like lounging beside the pool as you'll pay loads for it.

We like to chill out by the pool! But we don't mind staying in Nice for a couple of nights and then going elsewhere for a few nights. Will have to do some investigating.

Rois

Search for chambres d'hotes (B&B) - there is a particular website for them if you google it. There were some beautiful ones with pools in the hills above Nice. I'd have loved to stay in one but was over ruled. Public transport is great so don't be afraid of staying out of town for a while.

Milltown Row2

Quote from: JimStynes on April 12, 2015, 10:01:24 PM
Quote from: Rois on April 12, 2015, 09:41:56 PM

We like to chill out by the pool! But we don't mind staying in Nice for a couple of nights and then going elsewhere for a few nights. Will have to do some investigating.

Frejus is brilliant stayed couple times... Between Nice and St Tropez train bus service great